Restaurant die-off is first course of California’s $15 minimum wage

Only if it was all that simple, however it doesn't work that way. Depending on the size of a business 70K can be a lot or a little. An increase from $25K a month to 30K is a $60K a year increase, which is less than your claimed peanuts of $70K. So I think your numbers in others items of business are way off.

Hello papag. I have not seen you for a while.
My numbers was just an example how a restaurant can easily recover $192 MW a day increase = 70k/year. From my example---- if a couple spend minimum ( that is minimum ) of $11 ($5.50/person) higher from previous menus.
Let say say ONLY 35 customers ate in that restaurant for the whole day during lunch and diner= $192.50.
If that same restaurant had 80 to 120+ customers in one day. Piece of cake.

1. Been around, I hope things are going well for you. How do you drive an extra 40 to 70 customers a day?

2. The average profit margin of a restaurant is 3.6% to make up $192.50 in costs a restaurant needs to generate over $5300 a day in revenue to maintain the slim 3.6% in profit.
3. If you increase customers you will increase food costs, you increase labor, water, sewer, lights and so on. So a business owner would need to look at the impact of a wage increase and find ways to off set the expense. The ways to do that are limited. Increase menu prices, look at the restaurant hours and cut back on slow business hours, layoff workers and short staff, get lower quality food, cut back on portions, there are other ways but those are most of them. Most small businesses don't have a lot of areas to cut back.

1. Health and business been good can't complain. Just returned from a summer Hawaiian vacation with my entire clan for 8 days.

2. The 35 number of customers I gave for lunch and dinners is the minimum. There are no such restaurants that only have 35 customers for lunch and dinners. Otherwise they are not in business to begin with. I gave a minimum $5.50 per person increase from old menu x 35 customers to cover $192. They do these all the time. That kind of increase will not result in lay off, cut back hours, short staff or lower quality food. Otherwise all famous and big restaurants are closed a long time ago.
There are tons of small businesses here that are operational and successful. They do give raises to their current employees, a lot of them are making over $16/hour. I do not expect a lot or any business that will close because of MW hike. If business is good business will survive----- If business is sucks like food you don't expect to survive.

My favorite taco stand here in San Diego normally cost me $3.15 for one taco asada. I know the owner for many years. She increased the price of taco asada to $3.65 and so the rest of the menu across the board including soda effective last June 5. Not sure what and how much she increases across the board
I ate 4 taco asada today no soda ( too much sugar) just water. That is when I asked her ------ Why is the increase? She said MW increase amigo and the place was packed as always.
With low unemployment rate businesses are force to hire the rejects and higher rates than $12.

Glad you had a great vacation, we just did a drive from Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower and Yellowstone, this fall we are taking a cruise.

I'm just saying that additional costs are not simply offset by raising prices. If a business has an increase of costs by $192, the offset has to be a lot more than $192. The actual cost is not $192, however it is closer to $5000, otherwise the profit margin goes down. Most restaurants work off a 3.6% profit margin. To produce more food, you would have to buy more food, use more electric, clean more dishes etc, etc. so it always isn't easy to do. You do have to raise food prices but it isn't the only way you can recoup a labor increase.
He's too stupid to get it. He thinks business owners shit money.

Smart ones do.

That is bull shit. How can you tell a liberal and republican business owners?
We have lots of democrats business owners here in California are you saying they don't work long hours? Crap.

Comprehension is difficult for you is it not?

What did I say? Please have someone read it to you and define the words I use.

"The majority will be Republicans. They have to work LONG hard hours to earn a living. Something foreign to most Democrats."

If that is incomprehensible to you, (that means you cannot understand) then please don't respond and embarrass yourself once more.

Of course most business owners are Republicans. Where do you think they get they're tax breaks from?

Smart business owners hire people smarter than they are, then step back and let them do their job. That's a philosophy that I 'borrowed' decades ago from a guy that started a company called Starbucks.

What life have I missed? It's complete bullshit if you think smart business owners work hard, it's how we make you feel sorry for us and keep the competition down. The truth is the people that work for us work their asses off.

My point was the right gives the rich all of those tax loopholes which the middle class and poor pay for them.
Lots of rich dems and lots of them are writing those laws too. And taking advantage of them. Smart business owners don't work hard? You come here every day and prove how stupid you are then pretend to be a business owner. People aren't as dumb as you seem to think.

Who believes you're a business owner? I'd like to see someone say so.

Which Democrats are those?

No, smart business owners don't work hard.

I don't come here everyday. I usually post when I travel because it's boring.

The middle class are dumb, they continue to vote for Republicans.
You're a bigot. Your definition of smart and dumb differ from mine. Your traveling salesman job doesn't qualify as a business owner. No successful owner would trash such a large segment of the population.

How is pointing out and proving that if you're middle class voting Republican is voting against your own best interest 'bigoted?'

Your proof is lacking.

There are in Orlando, Fla. We saw them a few weeks ago when we took the grandkids on vaca.

So you saw kiosks replacing workers? Nobody was behind the counter? Nobody was taking orders?
There was one person behind the counter. Just like with a grocery store's self checkout, there was one person overseeing everything to answer questions and handle the customers who, for what ever reason, refused to use the kiosks.

Two people, just like before. Thank you.
Not two, one.

'there was one person overseeing everything to answer questions and handle the customers who, for what ever reason, refused to use the kiosks.'

That would be two.
One = two? Interesting. Tell me, how long have you been convinced of that?

What life have I missed? It's complete bullshit if you think smart business owners work hard, it's how we make you feel sorry for us and keep the competition down. The truth is the people that work for us work their asses off.

My point was the right gives the rich all of those tax loopholes which the middle class and poor pay for them.
Lots of rich dems and lots of them are writing those laws too. And taking advantage of them. Smart business owners don't work hard? You come here every day and prove how stupid you are then pretend to be a business owner. People aren't as dumb as you seem to think.

You're a bigot. Your definition of smart and dumb differ from mine. Your traveling salesman job doesn't qualify as a business owner. No successful owner would trash such a large segment of the population.

How is pointing out and proving that if you're middle class voting Republican is voting against your own best interest 'bigoted?'

Where did you ever prove that? It's not that complicated to figure out my property taxes is lower then Chicago in South Carolina.

Because tax revenues adjusted for tax increases are down, thus to pay the bills you raise taxes.

Your proof is lacking.

Since 1970, name one Republican sponsored bill that helped the middle class without giving a huge boost to the rich.

Where did you ever prove that? It's not that complicated to figure out my property taxes is lower then Chicago in South Carolina.

Because tax revenues adjusted for tax increases are down, thus to pay the bills you raise taxes.

On Hersey with nuts and a Snickers bar..compared to a Hersey kiss?

I told you I am a Chicago guy ..who moved out to South Carolina I know the ridiculous taxes the Democrats come up with..

So you saw kiosks replacing workers? Nobody was behind the counter? Nobody was taking orders?
There was one person behind the counter. Just like with a grocery store's self checkout, there was one person overseeing everything to answer questions and handle the customers who, for what ever reason, refused to use the kiosks.

Two people, just like before. Thank you.
Not two, one.

'there was one person overseeing everything to answer questions and handle the customers who, for what ever reason, refused to use the kiosks.'

That would be two.
One = two? Interesting. Tell me, how long have you been convinced of that?

The issue is reducing employees. You haven't proven your point.

Your proof is lacking.

Since 1970, name one Republican sponsored bill that helped the middle class without giving a huge boost to the rich.

RTW

I told you I am a Chicago guy ..who moved out to South Carolina I know the ridiculous taxes the Democrats come up with.

I'll bet the 'ridiculous taxes' started in the early 70's when payroll fell behind cost of living.

Your proof is lacking.

RTW

Rule The World?

Your proof is lacking.

Why would you ignore bills that help the middle class and the rich?

I told you I am a Chicago guy ..who moved out to South Carolina I know the ridiculous taxes the Democrats come up with.

I'll bet the 'ridiculous taxes' started in the early 70's when payroll fell behind cost of living.

Once again you claim your a millionare business owner I. Always claimed I. Was just a middle class guy who enjoyed freedom more then money , but out taxing me I will always move..

I never moved back North and now you understand why..

Democrats never had my back since the 1970s ..they did when JFK was in power..they got confused when the world caught up to the USA

Your proof is lacking.

Non-answer for there aren't any.

Forcing employers by law to pay higher wages just create more poverty.

Kick out all the illegal chap labor and employers will compete for remaining legal labor by increasing wages.

Let the free market work.
Low pay creates poverty.

You're debating with a guy that firmly believes that if an employer knowingly hires an illegal worker, that employer should loose his/her business and his/her freedom for a few years.

FYI; Employers will not increase wages unless they are made. Conservatives have marketed very hard for the market price concept, like the fresh catch of the day. IMO, it's morally corrupt.

Hate to tell you but there is no free market. Never has been, never will be.

I have worked for several companies that raised wages because of market forces or wanting to keep a good employee. So you are just plain wrong. When I owned my businesses I paid competitive wages and good employees I gave raises to keep them from looking for other jobs.

We use e-verify to make sure we don't hire illegals.

I set the standard in pay, not a reactionary reflex. If you don't you'll loose your soul AND your business.

You don't even own a business so spare us your BS.

You are entitled to your own ignorant opinion.

And you are entitled to lie like you do and I will call you out.

Once again you claim your a millionare business owner I. Always claimed I. Was just a middle class guy who enjoyed freedom more then money , but out taxing me I will always move..

Democrats never had my back since the 1970s ..they did when JFK was in power..they got confused when the world caught up to the USA

Another non-answer.

Low pay creates poverty.

You're debating with a guy that firmly believes that if an employer knowingly hires an illegal worker, that employer should loose his/her business and his/her freedom for a few years.

FYI; Employers will not increase wages unless they are made. Conservatives have marketed very hard for the market price concept, like the fresh catch of the day. IMO, it's morally corrupt.

Hate to tell you but there is no free market. Never has been, never will be.

I have worked for several companies that raised wages because of market forces or wanting to keep a good employee. So you are just plain wrong. When I owned my businesses I paid competitive wages and good employees I gave raises to keep them from looking for other jobs.

We use e-verify to make sure we don't hire illegals.

I set the standard in pay, not a reactionary reflex. If you don't you'll loose your soul AND your business.

You don't even own a business so spare us your BS.

You are entitled to your own ignorant opinion.

And you are entitled to lie like you do and I will call you out.

Prove your opinion isn't ignorant.

Last edited:

Another non-answer.

I get started to get bored of this, we all saw it coming that imports we're going to over take exports in the 1980s and it did , you always want to deny the world didn't catch up after WWIi and they finnaly did.

It happened in the early 1980s

Another non-answer.

I get started to get bored of this, we all saw it coming that imports we're going to over take exports in the 1980s and it did , you always want to deny the world didn't catch up after WWIi and they finnaly did.

It happened in the early 1980s

Nixon opened the door and Reagan put us in the world economy.

Your proof is lacking.

Non-answer for there aren't any.

Reagan's tax cuts helped the rich and the middle class.

Forum List

Back