🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Richard Dawkins and The Ignorance of The New Atheism

to wiggle out of anything anyone thinks you believe.
That is somewhat correct. I am not the one wiggling, but those who think they know what I believe are always so adept at missing the target, I don't spend much time any more explaining. People are so convinced that they know what I "really" believe I hate to disappoint their confidence in their mind-reading abilities. ;)

I haven't yet met a Catholic priest that was fluent in ancient languages so they are just being told what to say by someone else.
Neither have I. Greek and Latin, yes, so they are quite proficient in New Testament languages. For the Old Testament, find Rabbis who are/were fluent in Hebrew.

And if god is the perfect unassailable all powerful being you'd think that he would understand that languages would evolve wouldn't you?
And we, being human, have no idea that languages change and evolve? God's advice still stands. Seek and you will find. (I take "Seek" as "Do the research.")

to wiggle out of anything anyone thinks you believe.
That is somewhat correct. I am not the one wiggling, but those who think they know what I believe are always so adept at missing the target, I don't spend much time any more explaining. People are so convinced that they know what I "really" believe I hate to disappoint their confidence in their mind-reading abilities. ;)
Making reasonable conclusions from the information you are given it's perfectly reasonable. However, since you don't know what you believe, I sure wouldn't pretend know what you believe.

is a response to your militant atheist attempt to subordinate religion and faith in God

Yes ding, i literally just said that. Thank you for repeating my point back to me. Of course, since you are a drama queen, you turned "criticism" into "subversion" and "militancy" (embarrassing to watch). But it's just criticism. And the only reason you get in a rabid tizzy is because it speaks to YOUR preferred fetishes. And the only reason you hissy throwers think you deserve more consideration that someone who claims their houseplants talk to them is because your preferred fetishes are much more popular.

If Dawkins were criticizing faith in Greek mythology, nobody would bat an eye, including you. Criticize the gross Abrahamic god character and the childish faith in it, and a bunch of blubbering, angry dicks will call you a subversive militant on the internet.

Again, thanks for repeating my points back to me while also demonstrating them perfectly with your behavior. You are a fine assistant.
No. That's not really what you said. You have a terrible habit of parsing posts. It's dishonest.

You condemn respect for people of faith and that's why you are opposed. You don't want to have an honest debate. You want to insult people. I think the worst thing is that you are dishonest about your desire to insult people.
What's fucking funny is you calling someone dishonest for doing the exact same shit you do
And it was wrong when I did it too. The difference being I don't make it my mission to do that nor do I rationalize that I am justified in doing it.

See what i mean about you being slippery? It wouldn't matter what reasonable conclusions i drew from your words. You would tell me i have it wrong. This is an old charlatan's parlor trick. Older than dirt.
Actually, no. I haven't the faintest idea of what you mean by being "slippery." If it is referencing back to not answering complex questions with either a 'yes' or a 'no', it is not being either slippery or evasive. It is being precise. As I don't know a thing about charlatans, either young or old, that part went over my head as well. You already know the essentials. I believe in God because I have very few minor experiences with God. I research the Bible. I hold no belief that it only takes an individual reading the Bible to gain a perfect understanding of it. Atheists are prime examples of those who read the Bible from a modern English and modern Western culture perspective, and announce (quite perceptively by the way) it doesn't make sense, therefore there is no God. Personally, I believe the mistake they are making is the same as someone using a toaster manual to install their garage door. When it doesn't work they reach the conclusion the garage door is defective.

As I have said many times here. I recommended seeking and finding God before reading the Bible.

Is this where i crybaby about you making assumption? Lighten up.
I've never thought you a crybaby. It appears I am not the one making assumptions. I told you what is required if we are to continue. You appear to have declined, so I'm good with that. Have fun with other members. I wish you well.

Is this where i crybaby about you making assumption? Lighten up.
I've never thought you a crybaby. It appears I am not the one making assumptions. I told you what is required if we are to continue. You appear to have declined, so I'm good with that. Have fun with other members. I wish you well.

Another nasty little trick: intentionally misrepresenting what i said. The depths to which most of the religious weasels will sink in every thread is extraordinary. Intellectual frauds.

Religious weasels? Intellectual frauds? That's not condemning respect for people of faith.... noooooo.

Clearly a sign of someone who wants an honest debate. :rolleyes:

The Bible is not science, never pretended to be science. Philosophy is the better fit. It speaks to the spiritual aspects of our existence.

Which, respectfully, holds about as much value to some as a ballroom dancer having two right feet.

Right wingers do not deny global warming. We deny that government can do a single thing about it, rather than use it as a reason to raise taxes to line their personal pockets.

Humans are an invasive species. We occupy and invade. We use up the natural resources (with sometimes questionable methodologies) in a specific area and then move somewhere else and repeat. Why? Because for some humans, profit and wealth overshadows societal well being, and our caste system we pretend doesn't exist stays intact.

Some of us certainly try to make changes to lift us out of this vicious circle of consumption for the health of the planet. Green power is still in it's infancy due to the pushback from folks like you.

You choose to selfishly throw your hands in the air and say it's too 'costly'. :dunno:

You're just blowing hot air. Perhaps you could market that to keep third world countries warm.

That was a joke, btw. We know you'd never do such a thing. You believe there's nothing to be done.

the bible is supposed to about for you isn't it? After all it's an instruction book on how to live in a way that god deems acceptable.

This is where religion and I part ways.

I shouldn't need someone to tell me what the word of god means.

hence no third party commentary or fluency in ancient languages should be necessary.
That was the Protestant philosophy during the Reformation. Everyone, with the help of the Holy Spirit, can read the Bible for themselves with perfect understanding. That wasn't the Catholic position because language, cultures, and times change. One Protestant read the Bible, didn't understand the Hebrew (not that the King James translation was any help with that) and presto! He decides according to the Bible the earth is six thousand years old. Anyone who could read the Hebrew knew Ussher had it all wrong. Still, to this day (more than 200 years later) some still believe the earth is about six thousand years old.

My other favorites, of course, is that people believe the events written about in Revelation are yet to happen, when each one happened two thousand years ago. Some Protestants believe there will be a day when some will be "Raptured" off the planet. And speaking of the planet, some think there had to be zebras, polar bears, and penguins on Noah's ark. Read the Hebrew. It didn't say the flood covered the planet, but the earth (meaning the ground) as far as the eye could see.

It is my opinion that Protestants and their insistence that everyone can read and understand the Bible on their own may be responsible for the number of atheists today. Don't tell me that understanding the history and cultures (commentary) and fluency in the original language(s) isn't necessary. Early Jews and Christians would be laughing hysterically at the ideas of Rapture, penguins on the ark, etc. Bet you anything they would be saying, "Don't know what you're reading, but it's not the Bible!"

Perhaps you can understand why limiting answers about the Bible to "Yes" or "No" isn't at all practical.

I haven't yet met a Catholic priest that was fluent in ancient languages so they are just being told what to say by someone else.

And if god is the perfect unassailable all powerful being you'd think that he would understand that languages would evolve wouldn't you?
Many protestant ministers are well versed in both GREEK and HEBREW. Both are ancient languages of GOD's Word.

Green power is still in it's infancy due to the pushback from folks like you.
You mean those of us who have always carefully conserved? It would be better if I were wasteful? Interesting. All the same, I don't intend to change. Have always followed the philosophy of, "Live simply so others may simply live." Sorry not to have been more wasteful so that there would have been a greater demand for your green power.

Forum List

Back