Ride Sharing

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Virginia Department of Transportation has decreed that ride-sharing services Uber and Lyft must "ceast and desist" operations in the Commonwealth, pending review of something or other.

Is this not a classic case of Government interfering with the free market, stifling competition for no reason other than support of entrenched interests? There have been no complaints about service or the vehicles employed, drivers are insured as required by law, and there have been zero complaints to the PUC about driver competence or performance.

Here we have a service whose time has come. It is a fantastic opportunity for micro-entrepreneurs all around the country, whether they be young adults looking for a littl extra income, retired bastards my age, or whatever. And Big Government steps in for, honestly, no good reason.

Politics.

Fire all the bastards and let's start over.

Make me Emperor.

Happening with the hotel industry too, all the internet based rent a couch/room type services that have popped up. A lot of the legal wrangling is pivoting on whether companies like Uber and Airbnb are technology companies or taxi/hospitality companies. The latter often requires additional regulations and licensing.

Like many technology changes that challenge the old way, there will be some fight but I suspect it is an unstoppable wave that taxi and limo services just need to figure out how to adapt to and swim with.

But the basic question is whether these laws go beyond public safety and are REALLY intended to protect vested interests.

What about all the public services that require a state license. Look them up in your state and you will see a ton of them, most of which can be done safely by anybody taking a 4-hour training seminar. They serve no purpose other than keeping new people from getting into the business.

Both George Will and John Stossel have written extensively on this subject.

Forum List

Back