Right to BEAR arms upheld in Federal Appeals Court

Alaska has had open carry forever. It's not at all uncommon to see a gun on the hip, and it's almost expected to see a gun in the truck window. We have a very high carry rate up here; think it was 80% in the city, 95% out of the city.

Our businesses, for the most part, don't lose customers because of it, people on the street don't freak out about it, and really other than folks being a shit ton more friendly, open carry hasn't caused any real problems.
It does seem to alarm the tourist population, though. Or maybe we Alaskans are just part of the local "color"? I've been carrying around my place the past week or so, instead of just having the hardware handy. I've been hit by a bear a couple of times and fear that when it runs out of dog food, it might start slaughtering the livestock. Of course, when I run to town, I don't always even notice that .44 hanging at my side because it becomes part of my wardrobe, kind of like a wallet in my back pocket.

Yeah, Himself wears a gun in a holster on the property from time to time, and scared a party from the local Lutheran Chuch that borders our land. They were on our land following the creek and thinking about a survey, and met up with him! No problem, though. We had a bear in the driveway last week (he thought it was maybe a pig at first!) and he killed a big dog coon with a shotgun on the back porch yesterday afternoon. It was eating cat food and had taken down most of our sweet corn. I hate wild animals...…………

Especially coyotes, which have killed 11 lambs this season so far. Himself is distraught. It would not be a joke to us to have to go without firearms, and I'm not even talking about criminal people.

A few years ago one of the local wolf packs in my area (we aren't sure if it was Ft Rich or the Peters Creek pack) attacked a woman and her golden basically in my back yard. They ate her golden out of his collar right in front of her while she beat them with sticks.

The state called in the trappers to take out all the alphas.

I just got finished reading the whole ruling. If it is allowed to stand, all gun laws are thrown right out the window. No licenses, no CCW, nothing. Everyone can strap on a gun on their hip and go anywhere they want. This will include bars where they will get drunk. You are going to have a bar full of armed Drunks on your hands. That can't come out well.

Okay, now you have scared me. Frankly, I did sort of interpret the ruling the way you did. I'm thinking ---- Tombstone, Arizona. I recommend to all interested the movie with Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday (he has literally four death scenes, but it's a great movie and ALL about gun control --- or rather, its lack.)

What they did in Tombstone, after Wyatt Earp came, was simply to say people couldn't come into the saloons without disarming. A private ownership rights thing, not a law. They had a check-in place for pistols and long guns. Remember those crazies who were running around Texas carrying long guns into restaurants?? I'd have run, not paid and run, called the sheriff's deputies as soon as I got clear --- no WAY I'd have stayed near crazies armed to kill everybody! These crazies, Muslim and plain psychotics, are all around: how could you POSSIBLY tell the difference?? Restaurants are acting just like the Tombstone saloons: you can come in, but not with guns. I'm up with that. It's either that or people will stay home. We're staying home already. Every kind of local business is failing now. No wonder.

What does this mean for all of us? Will we all have to carry guns, even the women? I have to reread Heinlein's Beyond These Horizons, that's for sure. It pictures an armed country that is very, very, very polite. Still a lot of shooting by hotheads, though.

Heinlein didn't think about crazies, though. They didn't have so many of them in the 1940s.

Yet may issue laws remain in effect for concealed carry – inconsistent, to say the least.

Actually not. What part of "if you are not going to allow concealed carry for the peasants, then they MUST be allowed to open carry" do you not understand?

the state could still use the defacto ban on CC however they can not stop open carry as of the opinion

a huge loss for the anti crowd the court would not let the state confuse the two into one issue

Yep. Expect a ton of Open Carry in Cali coming soon!

Yet may issue laws remain in effect for concealed carry – inconsistent, to say the least.

Actually not. What part of "if you are not going to allow concealed carry for the peasants, then they MUST be allowed to open carry" do you not understand?

the state could still use the defacto ban on CC however they can not stop open carry as of the opinion

a huge loss for the anti crowd the court would not let the state confuse the two into one issue

Yep. Expect a ton of Open Carry in Cali coming soon!

Hopefully

Even if they got the 9th to go into an En Banc session and won

where do you think it would go next

--LOL

NRA-ILA | Federal Appeals Court Confirms Second Amendment Protects Right to Carry in Public

FAIRFAX, Va. – The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action applauded (NRA-ILA) a ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday [July 24, 2018] that confirmed the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self-defense.

“This is a critical issue for law-abiding gun owners who want to exercise their right to self-defense outside the home,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Second Amendment clearly protects the right to bear arms in public.”

The ruling reversed a decision by a Hawaii district court that upheld Hawaii’s ban on carriage outside the home.
*****************************************************************************************

This court is the three-judge Ninth Circuit, and the decision could be appealed to the full 9th Circuit Federal Appeals Court, which is considered the furthest left appeals court in the country.

After that it presumably will be appealed to the Supreme Court at some point, because federal appeals courts have found both ways, for and against more freedom to bear arms.

This Hawaii case turned on the word "bear." The Constitution did not say we are free to "keep" arms, meaning inside the home, perhaps: it said we had the right to "bear" arms, meaning carry.
The NINTH circuit no less!

NRA-ILA | Federal Appeals Court Confirms Second Amendment Protects Right to Carry in Public

FAIRFAX, Va. – The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action applauded (NRA-ILA) a ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday [July 24, 2018] that confirmed the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self-defense.

“This is a critical issue for law-abiding gun owners who want to exercise their right to self-defense outside the home,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Second Amendment clearly protects the right to bear arms in public.”

The ruling reversed a decision by a Hawaii district court that upheld Hawaii’s ban on carriage outside the home.
*****************************************************************************************

This court is the three-judge Ninth Circuit, and the decision could be appealed to the full 9th Circuit Federal Appeals Court, which is considered the furthest left appeals court in the country.

After that it presumably will be appealed to the Supreme Court at some point, because federal appeals courts have found both ways, for and against more freedom to bear arms.

This Hawaii case turned on the word "bear." The Constitution did not say we are free to "keep" arms, meaning inside the home, perhaps: it said we had the right to "bear" arms, meaning carry.
want a real laugh go back and check out the state at oral

--LOL

How to Lose a Lawsuit in 10 Minutes or Less

I just got finished reading the whole ruling. If it is allowed to stand, all gun laws are thrown right out the window. No licenses, no CCW, nothing. Everyone can strap on a gun on their hip and go anywhere they want. This will include bars where they will get drunk. You are going to have a bar full of armed Drunks on your hands. That can't come out well.

Okay, now you have scared me. Frankly, I did sort of interpret the ruling the way you did. I'm thinking ---- Tombstone, Arizona. I recommend to all interested the movie with Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday (he has literally four death scenes, but it's a great movie and ALL about gun control --- or rather, its lack.)

What they did in Tombstone, after Wyatt Earp came, was simply to say people couldn't come into the saloons without disarming. A private ownership rights thing, not a law. They had a check-in place for pistols and long guns. Remember those crazies who were running around Texas carrying long guns into restaurants?? I'd have run, not paid and run, called the sheriff's deputies as soon as I got clear --- no WAY I'd have stayed near crazies armed to kill everybody! These crazies, Muslim and plain psychotics, are all around: how could you POSSIBLY tell the difference?? Restaurants are acting just like the Tombstone saloons: you can come in, but not with guns. I'm up with that. It's either that or people will stay home. We're staying home already. Every kind of local business is failing now. No wonder.

What does this mean for all of us? Will we all have to carry guns, even the women? I have to reread Heinlein's Beyond These Horizons, that's for sure. It pictures an armed country that is very, very, very polite. Still a lot of shooting by hotheads, though.

Heinlein didn't think about crazies, though. They didn't have so many of them in the 1940s.

LOOOOL

(Sorry, ya'lls fear of guns is absolutely hilarious to me.)

All the firearms extremists are going to be very disappointed when their campaign leads to exactly what they don't want.

LOOOOL

Oh, I see. WE want common sense gun regulations and that means we are afraid of guns. I am not afraid of guns. I highly respect them. But I don't fear them. I do fear things when they are use in a dangerous manner though. Until you face another person with the express intent of killing you with a gun, you won't know the stark fear involved.

The problem for Hawaii, they don't have the laws in place like Alaska does. Anyone that thinks that there are no Gun Free Zones in the so called Gun Free Zone States doesn't know the laws there. Unless Hawaii adopts the same laws, there is a good chance that you are going to have a whole bunch of drunks with guns.

LOOOOL

Oh, I see. WE want common sense gun regulations and that means we are afraid of guns. I am not afraid of guns. I highly respect them. But I don't fear them. I do fear things when they are use in a dangerous manner though. Until you face another person with the express intent of killing you with a gun, you won't know the stark fear involved.

I responded to Circe who specifically said they were scared.

Blow it out your ass son.

I'm an Alaskan, you can have our guns when you pry them out of our cold dead fingers... We have a right to defend ourselves, our families, and our property.

How about this: You keep the criminals in cages (or put them in graves) where they belong, and we won't have the need to carry a gun on our hip everywhere and subsequently scare the piss out of folks like Circe, deal?

want a real laugh go back and check out the state at oral

--LOL

How to Lose a Lawsuit in 10 Minutes or Less

The case was not made for everyone to carry willynilly. It appears that the real question was can a citizen get a permit to open carry if he has a compellying reason to have one. It means that the person must apply for a permit and qualify. But there is nothing in place that outlines the qualifications.

LOOOOL

I'm an Alaskan, you can have our guns when you pry them out of our cold dead fingers... We have a right to defend ourselves, our families, and our property.

How about this: You keep the criminals in cages (or put them in graves) where they belong, and we won't have the need to carry a gun on our hip everywhere and subsequently scare the piss out of folks like Circe, deal?

You responded to me you ill mannered SOB.

LOOOOL

So basically what you're telling the board is that you don't even know how something as basic as quoting works, yet you want us to believe you know what the fuck your talking about on other more complicated subjects? I think not.

See post #70 you twit.

Also, I'm not a son of a bitch. I am the daughter of an asshole though.

LOOOOL

So basically what you're telling the board is that you don't even know how something as basic as quoting works, yet you want us to believe you know what the fuck your talking about on other more complicated subjects? I think not.

See post #70 you twit.

It's an open forum. You don't like it, open your conversation in an area that is invite only. Until then, you can stick it where the sun don't shine.
'

well at least they didn't argue the 2nd's punctuation.....,,,,,,::::"""???////(*)&^%$#@

~S~

LOOOOL

See post #70 you twit.

It's an open forum. You don't like it, open your conversation in an area that is invite only. Until then, you can stick it where the sun don't shine.
'

BUHAHAHAHHAHA

What an illogical twit you are. Thanks for the lolz

Forum List

Back