Rolling blackouts - Why?

Now I’m reading that all of these deaths that are taking place are happening in red states. How are Democrats responsible for what’s happening to the grid in Texas? Or Tennessee?

Last edited:
Millions have had their power shut off during sub-zero temps. Are the utilities to blame?
Hell, no. Politicians are to blame. When temps fall below zero, natural gas power plants cannot fire. Wind turbines freeze up. And somebody shut down all our coal-fired plants - which work just fine in these temps.
Stupid asses.

I love how conservatives immediately jump to the conclusion the Democrats all the blame for the power outages. The power outages are caused by ageing infrastructure. Replacing infrastructure isn’t profitable.

For profit utility companies haven’t been replacing infrastructure for decades. Especially in the flyover states where the grids aren’t all that power profitable to begin with. Added to which freezing cold weather always knocks out power sometimes for days.

Every time something goes wrong conservatives blame Democrats for sure as night follows day. Conservatives don’t look for solutions or investigate any other causes. They go straight to blaming Democrats and then they can’t be disabused of their dim witted notions.

Knee-jerk reactions every single time.Never try to solve a problem always try to blame Democrats
Bullshit. The current infrastructure was built to withstand power demands. The massive shutdown of coal fired plants reared its ugly head this past week.

LOL. The power grid can't handle the demand. Pretty straightforward reason.
The Texas power grid consists of mostly natural gas.

You're right, and because of that, as well as the fact that gas is getting a bit short right now because of the weather, if they had more gas to burn, they wouldn't have to shut down the electricity.

You're right, and because of that, as well as the fact that gas is getting a bit short right now because of the weather, if they had more gas to burn, they wouldn't have to shut down the electricity.
Gas won't burn sub zero.

Of course, the msm reporting that many natural gas plants have been disabled, but they won't say why. When a question/answer session was about to begin with the Southern Power Pool, the broadcast was conveniently cut off.
one of the things i learned when i was in building management was that natural gas can freeze up at certain temperature, and oil needs to be used because it continues to flow. So this could be one condition that would cause the generators to stop. But then again, why in a world that is supposed to be warming up year after year, could you have such frigid temperatures?
I failed the weather part of Earth Science, but I hear LaNina has something to do with it. Earlier this winter, I heard it often leads to colder temps and bad storms. Do NOT ask me why, but that's what they say.

Millions have had their power shut off during sub-zero temps. Are the utilities to blame?
Hell, no. Politicians are to blame. When temps fall below zero, natural gas power plants cannot fire. Wind turbines freeze up. And somebody shut down all our coal-fired plants - which work just fine in these temps.
Stupid asses.

I love how conservatives immediately jump to the conclusion the Democrats all the blame for the power outages. The power outages are caused by ageing infrastructure. Replacing infrastructure isn’t profitable.

For profit utility companies haven’t been replacing infrastructure for decades. Especially in the flyover states where the grids aren’t all that power profitable to begin with. Added to which freezing cold weather always knocks out power sometimes for days.

Every time something goes wrong conservatives blame Democrats for sure as night follows day. Conservatives don’t look for solutions or investigate any other causes. They go straight to blaming Democrats and then they can’t be disabused of their dim witted notions.

Knee-jerk reactions every single time.Never try to solve a problem always try to blame Democrats
But, but, wasnt Joe Biden in charge of the stimulus that was agreed on back in 2009, that was for infrastructure? Oh yeah, they were shovel ready jobs, yuk yuk, that werent shovel ready? Yep, thanks again Progs for spending our money on shit not what is needed.

"Shovel-Ready Was Not as Shovel-Ready as We Expected": The Obama Stimulus Record - YouTube

Of course, the msm reporting that many natural gas plants have been disabled, but they won't say why. When a question/answer session was about to begin with the Southern Power Pool, the broadcast was conveniently cut off.
one of the things i learned when i was in building management was that natural gas can freeze up at certain temperature, and oil needs to be used because it continues to flow. So this could be one condition that would cause the generators to stop. But then again, why in a world that is supposed to be warming up year after year, could you have such frigid temperatures?
I failed the weather part of Earth Science, but I hear LaNina has something to do with it. Earlier this winter, I heard it often leads to colder temps and bad storms. Do NOT ask me why, but that's what they say.
You are going to be shunned by the global warming zelots who say all this cold is do to the artic melting, do to man made global warming...

I can't believe Texans are complaining about rolling blackouts in the middle of a weather emergency! Hell, I'd be more than happy for eight hours of juice a day when a storm knocks out my power for days on end.

You are going to be shunned by the global warming zelots who say all this cold is do to the artic melting, do to man made global warming...
Like I said, I failed the weather part...,two years in a row, in fact.

Gas won't burn sub zero.
Got down to zero here last night with a 15 MPH North wind and my gas system fired up just like normal. We be cozy. Go figure.

I can't believe Texans are complaining about rolling blackouts in the middle of a weather emergency! Hell, I'd be more than happy for eight hours of juice a day when a storm knocks out my power for days on end.
I can't believe they are begging for federal aid while a bill is in their legislature wanting to leave the nation. Go figure.

Coupla things. I live in San Antonio, and this area is/was just not prepared for the extremely low temperatures and all the snow. The infrastructure could nor handle the increase in consumption, and so they had to turn to rolling blackouts (it was called rotational outages here). But it wasn't 8 hours a day and 16 off, it was very haphazard it seemed to me; we got 5 or 6 minute of electricity and then nothing for 15-20 minutes. And it wasn't regular, you never knew when the power would come on and/or go off. I wasn't too worried to hear of the rotational outages, you can get organized and be ready to do stuff when the power comes back on. But for us, it never did.

In our case, about 10 pm Monday night we lost ALL power until about 3 pm this afternoon (Tuesday), which adds up to 17 hours of cold and dark. Let me tell you, when you go that long in these kinds of temperatures with no heat, your house gets really cold and so do the occupants (me and the Mrs). I didn't have any propane, I don't usually get that for another month or so, so I couldn't fix anything hot. But thanks to some kindly neighbors, we managed.

I've lived here for 30 years, and you just don't see this kind of cold and snow here. And when it does come, it generally hits and melts away in a day or so. But not this time, more than anything else it was too many people running their heaters on Sunday night that lead to the outages.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's worth repeating:

A mix of ice and snow swept across the country this weekend as temperatures plunged below zero in the upper Midwest and into the teens in Houston. Cold snaps happen—the U.S. also experienced a Polar Vortex in 2019—as do heat waves. Yet the power grid is becoming less reliable due to growing reliance on wind and solar, which can’t provide power 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

While Texas is normally awash in gas and oil, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which oversees the state’s wholesale power market, urged residents this weekend to conserve power to avoid power outages. Regulators rationed gas for commercial and industrial uses to ensure fuel for power plants and household heating.

Texas’s energy emergency could last all week as the weather is forecast to remain frigid. “My understanding is, the wind turbines are all frozen,” Public Utility Commission Chairman DeAnn Walker said Friday. “We are working already to try and ensure we have enough power but it’s taken a lot of coordination.”

Our prayers are with Texas today, after millions in the Lone Star state have found themselves without power amid freak winter weather. The unusually cold temperatures have led to widespread power outages, in part because windmills and other forms of much-lauded “green” energy froze and failed.

“My understanding is, the wind turbines are all frozen,” said Public Utility Commission Chairman DeAnn Walker.

“Coal and nuclear are the most reliable sources of power,” the Wall Street Journal editorial board argues. “But competition from heavily subsidized wind power and inexpensive natural gas, combined with stricter emissions regulation, has caused coal’s share of Texas’s electricity to plunge by more than half in a decade to 18%.”

“Liberals claim that prices of renewables and fossil fuels are now comparable, which may be true due to subsidies, but they are no free lunch, as this week’s energy emergency shows,” the Journal concludes.

www.wsj.com

Opinion | A Deep Green Freeze
Power shortages show the folly of eliminating natural gas—and coal.
www.wsj.com
www.wsj.com

Stupid asses.

No need to worry. Your Green Communist Overlords are just trying their best to kill us.

We're on the verge of a new Ice Age. Was that a Wooly Mammoth I saw crossing the road on the way to Royal Farms?

Stupid asses.

In the words of Barack Hussein Obama Phd. ..."You didn't build that"!

I take personal responsible for my family.

If that front had come a little farther east and hit Florida with the same temperatures that Texas got we would have been fine. Plenty of emergency food, bottled water and propane gas. Emergency generator.

I wouldn't be bitching like these pussies in Texas.
demand is outstripping supply is another problem.
The demand was there, for sure. The supply should have been there. But, no. Let's shut off granny's power for three hours while all her pipes freeze up and burst in her crawlspace....

You know you want to burst up in her crawlspace, you dirty bastard.

Forum List

Back