Ruby Dee Has Passed

Asclepias

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2013
Breathing rarified air.
Ruby Dee was a veteran of many Black films and played some very strong a loveable characters. She will definitely be missed.

Screen, stage legend Ruby Dee dies at 91 - CNN.com

Dee -- often with her late husband, Ossie Davis -- was a formidable force in both the performing arts community and the civil rights movement. The couple were master and mistress of ceremonies at the 1963 March on Washington, and she was friends with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. Dee received the Frederick Douglass Award in 1970 from the New York Urban League.
As an actress, her film credits included "The Jackie Robinson Story" (1950), "A Raisin in the Sun" (1961), "Buck and the Preacher" (1972), "Do the Right Thing" (1989) and "American Gangster" (2007).

Last edited:
Sad....Raisin in the Sun is one of my favorite movies. She lived a full life though. Can't say she didn't do it big.

RIP Ruby

Last edited:
She was a wonderful actress. I hope she had a long and fulfilling life.

4984-ruby-dee-b.jpg

Last edited:
Ruby Dee was a veteran of many Black films and played some very strong a loveable characters. She will definitely be missed.

Dee -- often with her late husband, Ossie Davis -- was a formidable force in both the performing arts community and the civil rights movement. The couple were master and mistress of ceremonies at the 1963 March on Washington, and she was friends with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. Dee received the Frederick Douglass Award in 1970 from the New York Urban League.
As an actress, her film credits included "The Jackie Robinson Story" (1950), "A Raisin in the Sun" (1961), "Buck and the Preacher" (1972), "Do the Right Thing" (1989) and "American Gangster" (2007).

Raisin In The Sun was a "black film"? I sure am stupid, I thought it was no more than an American Classic. Jackie Robinson to me, is a baseball film, and historical. Do The Right Thing was ok, made before Spike Lee went batty. Great actress, but her beauty made her famous also. Not a knock on her acting ability, still, her looks helped.

Raisin In The Sun was a "black film"? I sure am stupid, I thought it was no more than an American Classic. Jackie Robinson to me, is a baseball film, and historical. Do The Right Thing was ok, made before Spike Lee went batty. Great actress, but her beauty made her famous also. Not a knock on her acting ability, still, her looks helped.

Yes. It was a American classic but it was also a Black film. Being a Black film doesn't diminish how great it was nor does it being an American classic make it better than a Black film.

Raison in the Sun is an American classic. It started as a play. It is studied in high schools throughout the nation and in English language international schools around the world. You would probably find the play on the shelf of most every high school library, and possibly middle school library, in the nation. It is a play about a black family and about the black experience of racism in America. I suppose if we want to differentiate between women's literature, black literature, and so on, it could be considered black literature; but, I don't like to do that. Some works transcend that kind of categorizing: Raison in the Sun is one of them.

Last edited:

So how do you differentiate between a "black" film, from all other films? What is the CRITERIA that you use?

Why are you injecting RACISM into a topic pertaining to the death of a "black" actress?

When Robert DeNiro dies, are you going to state that he was a "veteran of many WHITE films?"

When Graham Greene dies, are you going to state that he was a "veteran of many RED films"?

Your description of Ruby Dee is an insult to her family, friends, and admirers.

So how do you differentiate between a "black" film, from all other films? What is the CRITERIA that you use?

Why are you injecting RACISM into a topic pertaining to the death of a "black" actress?

When Robert DeNiro dies, are you going to state that he was a "veteran of many WHITE films?"

When Graham Greene dies, are you going to state that he was a "veteran of many RED films"?

Your description of Ruby Dee is an insult to her family, friends, and admirers.

Pretty simple.

Is it a movie that deals with issues in the African American community? If it is then I consider it a Black film.

Do you know what racism is? If you do why are you saying I am injecting it into this subject?

When Robert Deniro dies I will state I liked most of his movies.

When Graham Greene dies I will wonder who he is.

I'm not insulted by my description and I am one of her admirers.

Forum List

Back