RWers: Would you accept a GREAT paying govt job, despite principle?

Would you accept a GREAT paying (2-3X more) govt job...despite your principles?

• NO, you are a d-bag for asking, and I wont reveal my hypocrisy on USMB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why would you say that, I would say no. I'll leave it up to you to figuer out why.

i should have said this before i said what i said......i am assuming it would be a person not making 6 figures a year AND the Economy is not in the shitter.....if that was the case....if you were working a job making say 50 grand a year and the govt (especially Federal) gave you a chance to work a comparable job at more money and much better benefits......your going to take it...... if you say no i wouldn't...... i will say bullshit......

The thought is nice, untill you consider the employer. I would not work for the gov't

as bad as the PO is TN.....its easy to put up with management for the pay and benefits...i retired because i no longer had to put up with their shit.....and it was time....the knee and back had had it.....

In the 90's, I worked in a municipal wastewater treatment lab. I got paid much less than I did at a similar job I took later at a private vaccine company. The reason that government jobs seem like they suddenly pay more now, is that the private sector is agressively driving down wages in almost all sectors with government equivalents. I don't get why you people don't see this. Seriously...

In the 90's, I worked in a municipal wastewater treatment lab. I got paid much less than I did at a similar job I took later at a private vaccine company. The reason that government jobs seem like they suddenly pay more now, is that the private sector is agressively driving down wages in almost all sectors with government equivalents. I don't get why you people don't see this. Seriously...

And the Public Sector is one of last places unions are still strong. This is WHY income inequality coincides with a decline in union membership.

And the Public Sector is one of last places unions are still strong. This is WHY income inequality coincides with a decline in union membership.
Or maybe a nation in financial decline can't afford an overpaid civil workforce. Just a thought.

Already have a great paying government job. No it doesn't violate principle, I'm not an Anarchist. I believe government serves an important role in infrastructure, courts, and law enforcement.

My supervisor said "government is necessary to do what the private sector can't do efficiently and for a profit."

I am opposed to the Income Tax and my state has no Income Tax, just a consumption tax, a form of taxation supported by Libertarians.

Last edited:
Dumb question as you don't seem to understand that taking that job has NOTHING to do with principals at all.

You don't seem to understand that weather or not we agree with something that the government does, we need to pay for that function. For instance, taking SS even though you believe that the program should not exist is not inconsistent with ones morals or convictions. Why? Because even though you may not agree with the given system, you were REQURED by force to pay for and support it.

I have a government job as an active duty military member. I believe that our retirement benefits after serving 20 years are absolutely ridiculous. I will gain 60 years of paychecks over the course of my life for giving 20 years of service. That is a system that is a little over the top. I would vote to change that system but as long as it is the current system, I will use the benefits that are afforded to me. Any civilian job that I take after serving after all is going to require that I pay the taxes to support this system. I don't get to opt out because I believe that it is incorrect.

Of course, on the other hand, should ideas come to fruition, I would leave the service but that is for another thread ;)

I am so very sure I would not because I was given that chance when I was eighteen and told them I was not interested. I was making $95 per week and no benifits and was offered a job that paid $20000 yr (385 a week) and had full medical, dental, vacations and retirement benifits.
They approached me.... and I said "no thankyou".

This is a question directed at far right wingers who oppose most govt spending, but, anyone can anwser the poll or post one. The quesiton is:

If you had a private sector job, but, the local, county, state or federal government offered you a full time job with GREAT pay (lets say 2-3X more than you make), with great benefits far better than what you get now, would you accept it? Or, would you stick to your small government principles and say that the job pays too good for a government worker, and you will not participate in furthering the problem?

Let the discussion begin hahaha!!!

So, basically, what you are saying is that NO job is worth having unless it is a government job. Big surprise. communist.

Strange things happen to people who start violating their principles for money. Everything becomes negotiable. They don't just abandon whatever principles they abandoned to take that job, they abandon all of them.

This is a question directed at far right wingers who oppose most govt spending, but, anyone can anwser the poll or post one. The quesiton is:

If you had a private sector job, but, the local, county, state or federal government offered you a full time job with GREAT pay (lets say 2-3X more than you make), with great benefits far better than what you get now, would you accept it? Or, would you stick to your small government principles and say that the job pays too good for a government worker, and you will not participate in furthering the problem?

So, basically, what you are saying is that NO job is worth having unless it is a government job. Big surprise. communist.

i dont think thats what he is saying....

Strange things happen to people who start violating their principles for money. Everything becomes negotiable. They don't just abandon whatever principles they abandoned to take that job, they abandon all of them.

strange things happen to people when they have a family to feed too....

The reality, however, is that a government worker's pay is usually considerably less than the pay for the equivalent private sector job. They just get better benefits.

that's the way it is with UPS vs USPS.....

Why would they work for a private company that gets Government contracts if they aren't willing to do government work? They may as well work for Planned Parenthood...same exact case.

Government in and of itself is not the problem.

Bloated government, whereby it takes 14 agencies to do the same work....that is the problem.

Look at your local government.

How many agencies have become so top heavy that they actually have more upper management than workers?

The OP lacks critical thinking on the matter, apparently.

Another good question to ask is whether or not conservatives would say provocative things that they didn't believe on a talk radio program for a large paycheck with plenty of commas and zeros.

You mean people that make a living entertaining?

Are you suggesting that the liberal counterparts in your "good question" scenario don't?

Actually. On second thought, it is possible that they believe everything they say. :lol:

strange things happen to people when they have a family to feed too....

Sure, they take bribes, they pad expense accounts, they have sex to land that account or gain an advantage. They look the other way. They take money from lobbyists and sell their vote. Each time someone violates their principles, violating the next one is just a bit easier. And the one after that too. Pretty soon, there are no principles, the person is just another whore. And it can all be rationalized away by wanting to feed a family, or buy a new car, or a new pair of Nikes, or X-box, or golf clubs. Everything is negotiable including their own integrity. Then we wonder how we got to be such a corrupt people.

Another good question to ask is whether or not conservatives would say provocative things that they didn't believe on a talk radio program for a large paycheck with plenty of commas and zeros.

Are you suggesting that the liberal counterparts in your "good question" scenario don't?

Actually. On second thought, it is possible that they believe everything they say. :lol:

Well, I'm SURE they know which side of the bread has the butter on it and what's expected of them when it comes time to broadcast.

Don't you suppose that conservative radio hosts know what would happen to their high-paying, high-flying careers if they ever said something in support of president Obama while simultaneously chastising Republicans for some of the crazy positions they take on the issues. Imagine a conservative radio host seeing his arbitron ratings going the way of the Dixie Chicks CD sales if they ever said something they really believed when it ran contrary to conservative orthodoxy.

Well, I'm SURE they know which side of the bread has the butter on it and what's expected of them when it comes time to broadcast.

Don't you suppose that conservative radio hosts know what would happen to their high-paying, high-flying careers if they ever said something in support of president Obama while simultaneously chastising Republicans for some of the crazy positions they take on the issues. Imagine a conservative radio host seeing his arbitron ratings going the way of the Dixie Chicks CD sales if they ever said something they really believed when it ran contrary to conservative orthodoxy.

Or, the conservatives could just be saying what they believe, since if they said something else, they wouldn't be conservatives, but liberals.

Forum List

Back