Same game, new target.

The current administrations stance and rhetoric on Muslim refugees has "triggered" a deep anger in me.
That is because I have seen it before. I have heard it before. I find this same rhetoric and discrimination in my own heritage,as many of you may also.
As a descendant of Sicilian immigrants, I found this opinion piece deeply touching.

• "Twelve years ago, I began researching a family murder that happened in Southern Italy in the 19th century. It took a decade to find the details of the crime, but the facts I uncovered about the daily life of my ancestors and the racism they faced — even from their own countrymen — were more shocking than the killing. In today’s climate of refugee bans and xenophobia, the facts have taken on a new urgency and are even more disturbing to me, as they should be to anyone whose family traces its roots to Southern Italy.

Women like my great-great grandmother Vita Gallitelli came to America for more than simply a better job. Subjectdefftionwhims of their padroni — the men who owned the feudal land upon which they toiled — Italian women were commonly the victims of institutionalized, systematic rape. There was a practice known as “prima notte” that allowed the landowner to sleep with the virgin bride of his worker, which extended into the 20th century.

The husbands couldn’t protest, since they would be barred from working the farm and their families left to starve.
  • From 1906 to 1915, the year Vita died, Basilicata lost nearly 40 percent of its population to emigration. The Italian landowners — the same ones who raped and starved my relatives and maybe yours — were devastated by American emigration, left with too few hands to work their land.

The Italian government, initially happy to see its poorest and most troublesome people leave the country, realized that the best and strongest were now leaving as well, looking for a better life and higher wages.
The United States government used the theories of Cesare Lombroso, a 19th-century Northern Italian doctor, to stop more of his suffering, starving countrymen and women from immigrating.

Lombroso, a traitor to his own people, was convinced that there was such a thing as a “natural born criminal.” He measured the heads and body parts of thousands of fellow Italians — particularly Southerners — and came up with a description that matched the description of most of the immigrants coming over at the time: short, dark, hairy, big noses and ears.

He compared them to lower primates and said they were more likely to commit violent crimes when they arrived in the United States than immigrants from Germany, Norway, Austria, Sweden, England and every other European country.

Lombroso — and a growing sea of American nativists — branded the Southern Italians savages and rapists, blaming them for the crime that was on the rise in the United States.

The United States Immigration Commission concluded in the infamous 1911 Dillingham report: “Certain kinds of criminality are inherent in the Italian race. In the popular mind, crimes of personal violence, robbery, blackmail and extortion are peculiar to the people of Italy.”

The Immigration Act of 1924 barred most Italians from coming into the country — causing immigration from Italy to fall 90 percent. Even though the vast majority of those coming to America were good, honest working people and not criminals."

Opinion | When America Barred Italians
You still can't figure out the definition of legal and not illegal can you?

Umm ... do we have a huge pop of illegal muslims?

The current administrations stance and rhetoric on Muslim refugees has "triggered" a deep anger in me.
That is because I have seen it before. I have heard it before. I find this same rhetoric and discrimination in my own heritage,as many of you may also.
As a descendant of Sicilian immigrants, I found this opinion piece deeply touching.

• "Twelve years ago, I began researching a family murder that happened in Southern Italy in the 19th century. It took a decade to find the details of the crime, but the facts I uncovered about the daily life of my ancestors and the racism they faced — even from their own countrymen — were more shocking than the killing. In today’s climate of refugee bans and xenophobia, the facts have taken on a new urgency and are even more disturbing to me, as they should be to anyone whose family traces its roots to Southern Italy.

Women like my great-great grandmother Vita Gallitelli came to America for more than simply a better job. Subject to the whims of their padroni — the men who owned the feudal land upon which they toiled — Italian women were commonly the victims of institutionalized, systematic rape. There was a practice known as “prima notte” that allowed the landowner to sleep with the virgin bride of his worker, which extended into the 20th century.

The husbands couldn’t protest, since they would be barred from working the farm and their families left to starve.
  • From 1906 to 1915, the year Vita died, Basilicata lost nearly 40 percent of its population to emigration. The Italian landowners — the same ones who raped and starved my relatives and maybe yours — were devastated by American emigration, left with too few hands to work their land.

The Italian government, initially happy to see its poorest and most troublesome people leave the country, realized that the best and strongest were now leaving as well, looking for a better life and higher wages.
The United States government used the theories of Cesare Lombroso, a 19th-century Northern Italian doctor, to stop more of his suffering, starving countrymen and women from immigrating.

Lombroso, a traitor to his own people, was convinced that there was such a thing as a “natural born criminal.” He measured the heads and body parts of thousands of fellow Italians — particularly Southerners — and came up with a description that matched the description of most of the immigrants coming over at the time: short, dark, hairy, big noses and ears.

He compared them to lower primates and said they were more likely to commit violent crimes when they arrived in the United States than immigrants from Germany, Norway, Austria, Sweden, England and every other European country.

Lombroso — and a growing sea of American nativists — branded the Southern Italians savages and rapists, blaming them for the crime that was on the rise in the United States.

The United States Immigration Commission concluded in the infamous 1911 Dillingham report: “Certain kinds of criminality are inherent in the Italian race. In the popular mind, crimes of personal violence, robbery, blackmail and extortion are peculiar to the people of Italy.”

The Immigration Act of 1924 barred most Italians from coming into the country — causing immigration from Italy to fall 90 percent. Even though the vast majority of those coming to America were good, honest working people and not criminals."

Yeah, right here. :fu:

Italians are Catholics, not Jihadists. They just want to make a better life for themselves, not kill anyone that doesn't worship Allah.

Catholic: Oh, you don't believe in God, aye? Well, you're going to hell.

Muslim: Oh, you don't believe in Allah? Convert or I kill you!

Self owning OP.
Italians were just trying to make better lives. But were labeled dangerous criminals for no good reason.
All Muslims do not believe non believer should die. Or my college roommate would have killed my sinning ass many years ago.

Like I responded to someone earlier, I'm sure some Italians immigrants were dangerous criminals, MOST were not.
Just like some Muslims are radicalized, MOST are not.

Your comparison of the MAJORITY of Italians to the minority of Muslims highlights the exact problem in our country.

The majority of Muslims are a lot worse than the majority of Italians.

Derp!

Please go kick yourself now.
And that's based on your unsubstantiated opinion or have you met the entire population of Italians and Muslims?

The ludricrousness of your question is duly noted and dismissed.

Women like my great-great grandmother Vita Gallitelli came to America for more than simply a better job. Subjectdefftionwhims of their padroni — the men who owned the feudal land upon which they toiled — Italian women were commonly the victims of institutionalized, systematic rape. There was a practice known as “prima notte” that allowed the landowner to sleep with the virgin bride of his worker, which extended into the 20th century.

That's what your thread is all about..

Women like my great-great grandmother Vita Gallitelli came to America for more than simply a better job. Subject to the whims of their padroni — the men who owned the feudal land upon which they toiled — Italian women were commonly the victims of institutionalized, systematic rape. There was a practice known as “prima notte” that allowed the landowner to sleep with the virgin bride of his worker, which extended into the 20th century.

Looks like you're putting Italians in the same category as muslims. You're disgracing your people. Muslims are 7th century retrogrades that cause death and destruction where ever they go. You might say most of them are peaceful, maybe they are, but it's those terrorists among them that we need to beware of. An Italian journalist, Oriana Falacci's "The Rage and the Pride" is a pretty good read to learn something about muslims instead of just posting out of some misguided compassion for them.
Looks like I'm putting humans in the same category as other humans.

You're talking like this is anthropology class, I'm talking about the survival of present day America.

You are mentally ill if you correlate Wops who are great people with Islamic pieces of shit. Italian girls = great sex.
Here's the point, you clearly missed it. Some Italians that immigrated probably were violent and probably were criminals. The MAJORITY were not. Just like some Muslims are radicalized and are violent while the MAJORITY are not.
There will be violence found wherever there are humans found, it is human nature.
Here is the point you clearly missed. Muslims are not being targeted. If you were to actually make some kind of accurate analogy, you'd say that the travel restriction wasn't against Italians, but specific regions of Sicily. However, much like your alleged deep anger, your diatribe against security for this nation is phoney.

It is the responsibility of the Federal government to safeguard the citizens of this country against foreign agents who mean to subvert or harm this nation and its people. The fact that you have to go back nearly 100 years to prove your point is a flag you failed to take into account.

However, I get a very deep anger at alleged citizens who put the wellbeing, both mental and physical, of foreign entities above their own brothers and sisters.

I'm offended by your entire world view.

Looks like you're putting Italians in the same category as muslims. You're disgracing your people. Muslims are 7th century retrogrades that cause death and destruction where ever they go. You might say most of them are peaceful, maybe they are, but it's those terrorists among them that we need to beware of. An Italian journalist, Oriana Falacci's "The Rage and the Pride" is a pretty good read to learn something about muslims instead of just posting out of some misguided compassion for them.

There's your mistake. Some humans have turned into monsters. Maybe you think they still have value as human beings, need to be understood, all lives have value add naseum etc. I don't. One of the first duties of our government is to protect us from those that do us harm. Bringing all these 3rd worlders here without knowing anything about them or testing for diseases and such, is gross stupidity and actually, is criminal on government's part.
No, our mistake was allowing Hillary Clinton to run, because elsewise we would not have a bigoted mouthpiece in the WH who is trying to stop carefully vetted immigration from war torn nations and who, as the 2nd largest emitter of green house gases, has walked away from a world wide agreement to cut back because we didn't want to spend money on it.
It's not just short sighted and ignorant decisions on both fronts, it's bad press for our nation. I used to be able to read posts from you folks and console myself that at least at the levels of government, you are drowned out by reason.
No more.

Maybe take it one or two steps at a time. You are aware that immigration to this country is not a right for the people that want to come here, correct? And in times of high unemployment, it's hurting the presently unemployed to bring more people here to compete for the fewer jobs we have, yes or no?

That's what your thread is all about..

Nowhere in my thread do I mention illegal Muslims....

There's your mistake. Some humans have turned into monsters. Maybe you think they still have value as human beings, need to be understood, all lives have value add naseum etc. I don't. One of the first duties of our government is to protect us from those that do us harm. Bringing all these 3rd worlders here without knowing anything about them or testing for diseases and such, is gross stupidity and actually, is criminal on government's part.
No, our mistake was allowing Hillary Clinton to run, because elsewise we would not have a bigoted mouthpiece in the WH who is trying to stop carefully vetted immigration from war torn nations and who, as the 2nd largest emitter of green house gases, has walked away from a world wide agreement to cut back because we didn't want to spend money on it.
It's not just short sighted and ignorant decisions on both fronts, it's bad press for our nation. I used to be able to read posts from you folks and console myself that at least at the levels of government, you are drowned out by reason.
No more.
Please detail the careful vetting process we have for folks from war-torn Syria. Thanks.

No more.
Please detail the careful vetting process we have for folks from war-torn Syria. Thanks.[/QUO

We have the most extensive vetting system the world has ever seen. It takes years of background checks, interviews, finger print and retina scans. Refugees have been known to say the U.S. gov knows them better than their own spouses at the end of this vetting system.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/29/us/refugee-vetting-process.html

You are aware that Lombroso was a Jew, right?

Italians are Catholics, not Jihadists. They just want to make a better life for themselves, not kill anyone that doesn't worship Allah.

Self owning OP.
Italians were just trying to make better lives. But were labeled dangerous criminals for no good reason.
All Muslims do not believe non believer should die. Or my college roommate would have killed my sinning ass many years ago.

Like I responded to someone earlier, I'm sure some Italians immigrants were dangerous criminals, MOST were not.

Your comparison of the MAJORITY of Italians to the minority of Muslims highlights the exact problem in our country.

The majority of Muslims are a lot worse than the majority of Italians.

Derp!

Please go kick yourself now.

No arguments there, but Italians can be pretty rough.

One Italian in my neighborhood bar, got in 8 fist fights one night, many of them with his own Italian friends.
Although he also attacked a random Black guy there too, for "Looking at him"
Since I was the biggest guy there, I was expected to stop his fights, since they had no bouncer.
Guess what, he took a swing at me.
Since my hand had a beer bottle in it, I softly hit his head with a beer bottle.
I see him a month later, and starts crying that "I hit him with a beer bottle" and that "He'd knock me out" I said good "Knock me out" so I punched him once, knocked him out, he got up like 5 minutes later, and ran away to the girls bathroom to hide from me.
I yelled "You Italians make me want to leave New York"
When his Italian friends pushed me out the door, and I was attacked by a group of Italians in the parking lot.

Actually, I have his picture here. (Below)
He's in the middle with his Italian crew.

untitledtee.png

Last edited:
LOL, after 9/11 happened, our Italian-American bug exterminator guy said "I hope they get those towelheads"
9/11 was executed by mostly Saudis...logic would tell us they pose the greatest threat to us.. But Donnie didn't attempt to ban them, why's that?

My thread directly references the travel ban as the topic, so try to stay on topic.

You are mentally ill if you correlate Wops who are great people with Islamic pieces of shit. Italian girls = great sex.

Aries is an outlier of Italians, because growing up here in a dominantly Italian American neighborhood, I commonly heard slurs against Arabs, Blacks, Gays, and Mexicans.
Sicilians have Arab and african in their DNA, so that's just silly.

Self owning OP.

Your OP highlights your idiocy. False equivalency, next!

Aries is an outlier of Italians, because growing up here in a dominantly Italian American neighborhood, I commonly heard slurs against Arabs, Blacks, Gays, and Mexicans.
Sicilians have Arab and african in their DNA, so that's just silly.

Italians certainly have had their run-ins with Blacks in New York.

Death of Yusef Hawkins - Wikipedia

Howard Beach, Queens - Wikipedia

LOL, after 9/11 happened, our Italian-American bug exterminator guy said "I hope they get those towelheads"
9/11 was executed by mostly Saudis...logic would tell us they pose the greatest threat to us.. But Donnie didn't attempt to ban them, why's that?

My thread directly references the travel ban as the topic, so try to stay on topic.

I'd agree with you about Saudis.

Forum List

Back