San Marco Must Not Die

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
ROME, July 17, 2015 - The final decision could come at any moment, amid the distraction of the summer. And it will concern the life or death of the most famous Dominican convent in the world, the convent of San Marco in Florence.

What is at stake smacks of the incredible. It is as if the Franciscan friars were to decide to close the convent of Assisi. And yet this is what could happen, at the behest of the order of Saint Dominic itself, if the superior general of the order, Fr. Bruno Cadoré, should put into effect the decision that the chapter of the Dominican province of central Italy, named after Saint Catherine of Siena, made in the autumn of 2013: the decision, that is, to suppress the “house," meaning the convent of San Marco in Florence.

The superior general has taken his time. In March of last year he made a visit to the convent about to be suppressed. He then wrote a letter to the Dominicans of the province in question, asking them to re-examine the question from the ground up, with the help of “experts.” To no effect. The fathers of the province of St. Catherine of Siena met again in chapter at the end of last June and reiterated to the superior general the request to suppress the convent of San Marco.

If that were to happen, in the cloisters and in the cells wondrously frescoed by Fra Angelico (see above the Annunciation, from 1442) there would no longer be any friar to pray. From the library designed by Michelozzo, the first library of the modern era open to the public, the robes of the learned would disappear. What has been for centuries a cenacle of men of letters, artists, bishops, saints, would give way to a trivial guest house.
San Marco Must Not Die

IMG_0547.jpg

stock-photo-detail-of-the-main-entrance-of-san-marcos-leon-spain-85840153.jpg

Seriously? A guest house?

It becomes only a guest house afterwards.

So the members of the Order can't use the guest house and still marvel at the treasures?

Nooooooo.

I mean they could but it kind of cheapens it.

You and I can become the manger and matre'd and jazz it up.

And we would have our own suites.

Ha. I got you down now. You are just as bad as my kid. If you real me into the plot then...........it's a more better and a-ok plot. :lol:

Forum List

Back