Saudi Arabia Dropped From List Of Those Harming Children; U.N. Cites Pressure

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
WTF? The UN bows to political pressure and financial pressure to favor certain countries and not list them amongst the violators this isn't the first time, but it's the most recent. So much for protecting children.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon made a startling admission Thursday, saying he bowed to pressure over a report that blasted Saudi Arabia for child casualties that have resulted from its bombing campaign in Yemen.

Ban called it one of the most difficult choices he had to face. The U.N. report on children in armed conflict worldwide describes, in Ban's words, "the horrors no child should have to face."

The report held Saudi Arabia and its coalition partners responsible for about half of the attacks on schools and hospitals and 60 percent of the nearly 2,000 children killed and injured. The report stands, but Ban said he made a "decision to temporarily remove the Saudi-led coalition countries from the report's annex," which lists those who violate children's rights.

He made clear that U.N. funding was at stake. "I also had to consider the very real prospect that millions of other children would suffer grievously if, as was suggested to me, countries would de-fund many U.N. programs," he said.

He didn't name the countries that threatened to cut off funding to the U.N., but it was clear he came under pressure from Saudi Arabia and other coalition members.

"It is unacceptable for member states to exert undue pressure," Ban added.

Minutes after Ban spoke, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United Nations, Abdallah al-Mouallimi, stepped to the microphone at the U.N. in damage-control mode.

"It is not in our style, it is not in our genes, it is not in our culture to use threats and intimidation," the Saudi ambassador said.

WTF? The UN bows to political pressure and financial pressure to favor certain countries and not list them amongst the violators this isn't the first time, but it's the most recent. So much for protecting children.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon made a startling admission Thursday, saying he bowed to pressure over a report that blasted Saudi Arabia for child casualties that have resulted from its bombing campaign in Yemen.

Ban called it one of the most difficult choices he had to face. The U.N. report on children in armed conflict worldwide describes, in Ban's words, "the horrors no child should have to face."

The report held Saudi Arabia and its coalition partners responsible for about half of the attacks on schools and hospitals and 60 percent of the nearly 2,000 children killed and injured. The report stands, but Ban said he made a "decision to temporarily remove the Saudi-led coalition countries from the report's annex," which lists those who violate children's rights.

He made clear that U.N. funding was at stake. "I also had to consider the very real prospect that millions of other children would suffer grievously if, as was suggested to me, countries would de-fund many U.N. programs," he said.

He didn't name the countries that threatened to cut off funding to the U.N., but it was clear he came under pressure from Saudi Arabia and other coalition members.

"It is unacceptable for member states to exert undue pressure," Ban added.

Minutes after Ban spoke, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the United Nations, Abdallah al-Mouallimi, stepped to the microphone at the U.N. in damage-control mode.

"It is not in our style, it is not in our genes, it is not in our culture to use threats and intimidation," the Saudi ambassador said.
U.N. needs a strictly impartial Secretary General. Ban is just adding black marks to his credibility.

What gets me is that much of the data is compiled by independent human rights organizations who are on the ground, talking with people, observing events - and they just get shot down when the UN is swayed by financial or political pressures.

What gets me is that much of the data is compiled by independent human rights organizations who are on the ground, talking with people, observing events - and they just get shot down when the UN is swayed by financial or political pressures.

Independent "human rights organizations"----is a euphemism for----MOBS OF NUTS WITH AGENDA. ---the financial pressures seem to be OTHER INTEREST GROUPS----that did not like the agendas of the NGO-s or countries that did not like this or that agenda---and threatened to cut funding ----to this or that. The basic principle is that people do not donate for free

Just goes to show that the countries on the blacklist are those countries that by themselves or through surrogates are powerless. Last year the same thing happened when the U.S. told the U.N. that it would risk losing U.S. funding if Israel was not removed from the draft blacklist.

"U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham threatened to cut American funds to the U.N. if Israel was blacklisted, reportedly denouncing attempts to “marginalize” Israel.

“I'm not going to ask the American taxpayer to fund an organization that's going to be used in a way to marginalize one of our closest friends, the State of Israel,” Graham reportedly said. “We provide 25 percent of the funding to the United Nations. We have a lot of influence. … We're not getting a lot for our money.”

UN Will Not Blacklist Israel For Alleged Crimes Against Children During Last Year's Gaza War: Report

Just goes to show that the countries on the blacklist are those countries that by themselves or through surrogates are powerless. Last year the same thing happened when the U.S. told the U.N. that it would risk losing U.S. funding if Israel was not removed from the draft blacklist.

"U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham threatened to cut American funds to the U.N. if Israel was blacklisted, reportedly denouncing attempts to “marginalize” Israel.

“I'm not going to ask the American taxpayer to fund an organization that's going to be used in a way to marginalize one of our closest friends, the State of Israel,” Graham reportedly said. “We provide 25 percent of the funding to the United Nations. We have a lot of influence. … We're not getting a lot for our money.”

UN Will Not Blacklist Israel For Alleged Crimes Against Children During Last Year's Gaza War: Report

yeah so? what is your point? ---you cannot tolerate the idea that Iran cannot control the world and FOIST its filth on all the world even though IRAN GOT OIL and assad is licking
ayatoilet shitty ass?

But but but I thought you said the UN does not get influenced politically?

When the U.S. decides to put its foot down in defending Israel's murderous behavior, the UN doesn't stand a chance.

So the UN does get influenced politically then? Or is it only when the decision goes in favor of Israel, then we bring out the whine and cheese?

Independent "human rights organizations"----is a euphemism for----MOBS OF NUTS WITH AGENDA. ---the financial pressures seem to be OTHER INTEREST GROUPS----that did not like the agendas of the NGO-s or countries that did not like this or that agenda---and threatened to cut funding ----to this or that. The basic principle is that people do not donate for free

I don't know Rosie...it makes the UN seem rather useless.

So...here we have situations where children are killed in military incursions and the Saudi's are complicit in targeting schools, buses and hospitals and we're arguing about Israel. I was not impressed with Israel's actions in "Operation Cast Lead"...but then again - I'm not seeing ANYONE talking about the Saudi's here and what they've done.

The UN's reporting of human rights violations is heavily swayed by defunding threats and politics of blocks of countries or individual countries with a lot of clout.

This is not a good thing.

To make a point - I SUPPORT the UN in principle, I think we need it .... but I'm not happy about the way it is heavily influenced by certain countries or threats of defunding.

Montelatici is playing the "VICTIMIZATION OF THE POWERLESS" card Iran is a "victim" because it is "powerless" ---even Russia is a "powerless victim"----china?
The combined oil emirates "POWERLESS".
For a "powerless' nation----Iran and the Emirata certainly POUND their chests LOTS

(PS the same argument is used this week
to justify entering a casual café on a warm
sping evening---ordering cake and
opening fire with automatic weapons---the
victims are the cake eaters----they feel
"powerless")

The UN's reporting of human rights violations is heavily swayed by defunding threats and politics of blocks of countries or individual countries with a lot of clout.

This is not a good thing.

so true-----"CLOUT" ---- all defunding and embargo and boycotts MUST BE STRICTLY
outlawed on ALL LEVELS ------All countries and people MUST have the right to free trade
and access to all avenues of trade and financial interaction -------"CLOUT" must be banned. I have decided to open a popcorn stand in Mecca this year---END CLOUT!!!!!!

I don't know Rosie...it makes the UN seem rather useless.

yes---the UN is a joke----you are right

Montelatici is playing the "VICTIMIZATION OF THE POWERLESS" card Iran is a "victim" because it is "powerless" ---even Russia is a "powerless victim"----china?
For a "powerless' nation----Iran and the Emirata certainly POUND their chests LOTS

"powerless")
Funny part is, yesterday he was telling us that the reason Hamas is not listed as a terrorist organization busy the UN is because "they aren't politically influenced by other countries". The problem with these guys is, as with most liars, he can't keep up with his own bullshit and lies.

"powerless")
Funny part is, yesterday he was telling us that the reason Hamas is not listed as a terrorist organization busy the UN is because "they aren't politically influenced by other countries". The problem with these guys is, as with most liars, he can't keep up with his own bullshit and lies.

so true----they contradict themselves WITH VIGOR Whilst DEMANDING that "insult to
muhummad" (whatever that means---after all the guy is dead) must be an INTERNATIONAL CRIME-----they shit and fart on all that is holy to all other creeds.

claim to "powerless victim" (as are all muslims and arab Baathists) confers immunity on any
form of perversion

Be glad---things are looking up-----we are about to enter the post Syrian civil war era and move into the HISTORIC REVISION period-----scholars are already trying to figure out how to blame the disorder and murder and perversion over there on THE USUAL SUSPECTS--------uhm.........da joooos

So...here we have situations where children are killed in military incursions and the Saudi's are complicit in targeting schools, buses and hospitals and we're arguing about Israel. I was not impressed with Israel's actions in "Operation Cast Lead"...but then again - I'm not seeing ANYONE talking about the Saudi's here and what they've done.

there is a conflict between Saudi arabia and Iran-------Yemen just happens to be IRAN's stepping stone into Saudi Arabia-----the key to the welfare of the children of Yemen ---is GET HEZBOLLAH <da hell> OUTTA THERE.
---(and the same to Lebanon)

Forum List

Back