School won't let students read the Bible during "read to yourself" time..

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
"On Tuesday, the family of a second-grade student at Hamilton Elementary School in the Houston suburb of Cypress claimed that the girl’s teacher took her Bible away during “read to myself” time."

"
“They are letting them read the Hunger Games,” parent Jennifer Muse told KHOU. “That’s kids killing kids. Why can’t she read the Bible?”

Read more: Public school teachers confiscating and yelling about Bibles | The Daily Caller

Here's the sentence that amazed me in that article:

Local parents were split on whether the teacher reacted appropriately when she allegedly swiped a little kid’s Bible during independent reading time.

"Split" ? Seriously people, some of the community was okay with that ?

If she was reading to herself, how could anyone be against that ?
Unless there's something else here, this seems completely inappropriate on the teachers part.

The article even mentions the schools library has a copy of the Bible.

Nope. I don't care if kids read the Koran at school.

Kosh would you react differently if she were reading a Koran?

First of all, no teacher in this country would dare take a Koran away from a child who is a Muslim.
She would not only be in deep shit with her local school district and board, but she could easily find herself personally in danger.

The District, would not only be afraid of a lawsuit, but they would be afraid of the long term fallout, like being required to furnish prayer rooms for Muslims in every school in the district.

Otherwise, I for one wouldn't have a problem with any child reading religious material to themselves in class.

Here's the sentence that amazed me in that article:

Local parents were split on whether the teacher reacted appropriately when she allegedly swiped a little kid’s Bible during independent reading time.

"Split" ? Seriously people, some of the community was okay with that ?

If she was reading to herself, how could anyone be against that ?
Unless there's something else here, this seems completely inappropriate on the teachers part.

The article even mentions the schools library has a copy of the Bible.

if this story and responses are true, then i am truly shocked. this is not a good situation, not at all, if this is all true.

I was right, take God out of school and we are doomed. Liberals have been taking God out of goverment, and look at our country.

The district has since affirmatively acknowledged to the Liberty Institute that, as a general principle, students are, in fact, permitted to read their own Bibles in school.
What the teacher did was against school policy. She needs to be held accountable for her actions. Good that the media got hold of this. Now we'll see what (if any) disciplinary actions she'll face.

In a statement to Click2Houston.com, the Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District said while it hasn't confirmed the allegations, the Bible meets guidelines for books that students are allowed to read during independent reading sessions.

"Religious material, including the Bible, that meets these guidelines would be permissible for a classroom assignment and/or in reading," the statement read.

Texas second-grader says teacher took away Bible during reading time | Fox News

Soooo....has the teacher been reprimanded? Fired? Are they going to apologize?

They're going to settle because they know they'll lose the suit just like the other school did.

Hopefully school admins are paying attention, and will advise their staff that the Bible is not forboten material.

Seriously. And people wonder why I speak in such scathing tones when I talk about our education system, and the retards that infest it.

T'ain't the "retards" that worry me. It's the uneducated but thoroughly indoctrinated liberals.

Seriously. One and the same.

I've seen kindergarten teachers misspell SPELLING WORDS. For KINDERGARTEN!

i heard that she handed her another book and said try reading this....it was Book 1 of the "Dresden Files".....hey just what i heard....

If it isn't something with assigned reading material I can't fathom why anyone gives a shit if she reads something as harmless as a bible.

I've seen kindergarten teachers misspell SPELLING WORDS. For KINDERGARTEN!

article-2191442-14A272AA000005DC-101_634x341.jpg

In a statement to Click2Houston.com, the Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District said while it hasn't confirmed the allegations, the Bible meets guidelines for books that students are allowed to read during independent reading sessions.

"Religious material, including the Bible, that meets these guidelines would be permissible for a classroom assignment and/or in reading," the statement read.

Texas second-grader says teacher took away Bible during reading time | Fox News

do you always edit posts and then accuse others of altering your posts?

Forum List

Back