See Lots of Idle Wind Turbines in California?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
The last few times I've driven south on my way to San Diego, I've seen lots of those monstrosities – and they weren't turning. So, why spend all that $$$$ to build them if they aren't going to do anything? Well, here's an interesting article about winds and capacities.

IER092815-3.jpg

And the article provides all sorts of other charts and stuff @ Wind Capacity Factors Drop on West Coast Due to Poor Wind Speeds

If you doubt this is the case -- visit this website frequently..

U.K. National Grid status

Middle column of graphs have wind as the bottom trace for daily, weekly, monthly. Used to be a great deal MORE like this. But a few years ago, they started disappearing from the Web. Largely because it's the greatest argument AGAINST building out craploads of this sketchy gimmick..

Right NOW -- Wind in Britain is at a relative high. Wait an hour and check back..

The last few times I've driven south on my way to San Diego, I've seen lots of those monstrosities – and they weren't turning. So, why spend all that $$$$ to build them if they aren't going to do anything? Well, here's an interesting article about winds and capacities.

IER092815-3.jpg

And the article provides all sorts of other charts and stuff @ Wind Capacity Factors Drop on West Coast Due to Poor Wind Speeds

Of course the article doesn't say that they aren't doing anything.

I pass wind generators regularly- most days they are generating- placement is important.

Not surprising that a 'research' foundation founded by a former Enron exec, and funded by the fossil fuel industry doesn't happen to approve of wind generation.

IER092815-3.jpg

Of course the article doesn't say that they aren't doing anything.

I pass wind generators regularly- most days they are generating- placement is important.

Not surprising that a 'research' foundation founded by a former Enron exec, and funded by the fossil fuel industry doesn't happen to approve of wind generation.

IT's either true or it isn't. Want to take a whack at catching him lying?? His DATA is from EIA.GOV.... Looks solid to me...

IER092815-2.jpg

Me? I prefer to listen a bit to the guys who know what it takes to keep the lights on..
Don't really want my energy policy dictated from the hope and change fairy..

BTW -- when you read that gauge for current UK windpower. The current INSTALLED capacity is 13 GWatts. At this moment -- producing about 1.6GWatts..

Sucks don't it??

Last edited:
Study shows Northwest still near top in wind energy, though development has hit doldrums

Oregon is in the top five states in the nation in total installed wind capacity – 3,153 megawatts nameplate - and total investment - $6.2 billion, according to an annual report from the American Wind Energy Association. It's also in the top 10 of total wind energy generated – 7,452,000 megawatts hours (enough to supply nearly 700,000 homes) and the percentage of total generation from wind - 12.4 percent.

Things are looking good for wind in Oregon. When we get a grid across the South Eastern portion of the state, from the Idaho line to Klamath Falls, we can pick up wind, solar, and geothermal.

Forum List

Back