Seeing Eye to Eye, Coming Together in Unity

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
With all of this political derisiveness over the past decade and a half, along with watching the last episode of the Glenn Beck show air in July of 2011 in my waning days as a far right Republican; I was struck with a burning question: If, in a time of crisis or danger to the US as a whole, would we as a people put away our political views to work as one in a consolidated effort to avoid it? Or would we argue on how to go about this task? It's a disturbing proposition:

Would we let our political differences be the precursor to our destruction?

In my experience with politics, I have noticed an extreme societal divide between Americans. There is one side so deeply rooted in their beliefs that no other point of view is sufficient; and if the status quo is interrupted, they react in vitriolic ways, spewing hatred and slander at any opposition. The desire to control and manipulate general opinion has overwhelmed them.

On the other hand, however, the other side hopes to one day return to a time when the law was taken seriously and the government worked for them, not against them. They amass in protest against what their nation has become. If they are confronted with the fact of losing their freedoms, they too will react in a less mannerable way. Neither side is perfect, and in fact; both of them are guilty of extreme animosity towards each other. Although each side contends their ideas reap more merits the others; the truth is, no idea is a good idea unless everyone agrees with it. Naturally though, there is never unanimous approval with any idea.

I have seen how each of these sides look down one another for having a different points of view, with hatred boiling over. Since when is it okay to look down on someone? Or judge them for what they believe in? I have seen how much effort it takes to get a Democrat and a Republican to work together on something productive, for the benefit of America. For example, the debt ceiling talks, immigration reform, abortion, or gay rights/union rights. I have seen my fellow Americans dig themselves in amidst the political trenches, fiercely defending their views, while savagely attacking their opponents. Believe me, this author is no different.

Seriously though, would we ever come together as a country for a common cause? Can we ever put the "United" back in the United States of America again? Will we as a nation once more see each other eye to eye? Will we see each other as friends and fellow compatriots, or as enemies and abominations? Unity brings about strength and stability, while divisiveness only brings about chaos, hatred and weakness.

While you celebrate your freedom to agree or disagree on this new year, just remember, there are hundreds of millions of people just like us, with different points of view; fighting for a common cause: freedom. Perhaps that is an example that all of us would do well to follow.

Let me guess which side is which.

Honestly. If you're going to be partisan, just go ahead and be that. Don't claim you're not, and then prove yourself a liar.

When we do see eye to eye, we wont be the United States anymore. We will be something far better. And this nation is pretty cool already.

I kind of agree with Boop on this one. Just be who you are. Unity is overrated. When both sides complete agree I get real suspicious.

Compromise is one thing....but unity? There are a lot of people I do not want to unite with at all. I'm sure they feel the same way about me. Differences of opinion are okay. Complete unwillingness to compromise or work with the opposition is not okay.

I kind of agree with Boop on this one. Just be who you are. Unity is overrated. When both sides complete agree I get real suspicious.

Compromise is one thing....but unity? There are a lot of people I do not want to unite with at all. I'm sure they feel the same way about me. Differences of opinion are okay. Complete unwillingness to compromise or work with the opposition is not okay.

Sure, but you're missing the point. We call ourselves united all the time, but we are never truly united. Our unwillingness to unite for a common goal will be our downfall. Of course, I'm not telling you to agree with anyone, but if we have such a title, shouldn't we work to exemplify it?

Sure, but you're missing the point. We call ourselves united all the time, but we are never truly united. Our unwillingness to unite for a common goal will be our downfall. Of course, I'm not telling you to agree with anyone, but if we have such a title, shouldn't we work to exemplify it?

You're chasing smoke, dude. The U.S. has never been completely united except maybe during WW II. For the rest of our history...not so much. There are racial divides, sectional divides...political divides....gender divides....it goes on and on. True unity is virtually impossible.

You're chasing smoke, dude. The U.S. has never been completely united except maybe during WW II. For the rest of our history...not so much. There are racial divides, sectional divides...political divides....gender divides....it goes on and on. True unity is virtually impossible.

That's not what I saw in the months following 9/11, believe it or not. I've seen that unity before, in 2001. I just can't sit here and believe that it is impossible for such unity to be striven for all the time. Or have we become so divided, that not even a common goal will unite us?

There was the day and the day after 9/11 but then the finger pointing started.

People are motivated by self-interest. Most see pursuit of their own agenda as being more important than unity. There is a lot of profit and power in either dividing people or strictly pursuing your own agenda.

This is not going to change except under rare and generally extreme circumstances.

People are motivated by self-interest. Most see pursuit of their own agenda as being more important than unity. There is a lot of profit and power in either dividing people or strictly pursuing your own agenda.

This is not going to change except under rare and generally extreme circumstances.

Makes sense, but wasn't 9/11 one of those "extreme circumstances"?

Absolutely. Unity was driven by fear of the unknown. Once we got a handle on who the enemy was and an idea of how to attack them, the unity thing fell by the wayside.

Absolutely. Unity was driven by fear of the unknown. Once we got a handle on who the enemy was and an idea of how to attack them, the unity thing fell by the wayside.

Quite interesting...

But citing WWII as an example, wouldn't that be an exception to the rule? The reason we won the war was because we (they) all pitched in to the war effort.

What if we were attacked with boots on the ground, warships off our coasts? Would we unite or still bicker on who should do what?

I think (pray) we would all be united then, with one cause. To protect the USA. Afterwards? Back to bickering again.

Be thankful we have ornery cusses who have lots of guns and love this country. Otherwise, we be up shit creek.

I believe the reality is that America has to completely fail before it can rebuild.. We have become a very selfish and corrupted country..Look what we've done to the future generations in just the past 20 years.

Now what used to be totally unacceptable is common place..

Quite interesting...

But citing WWII as an example, wouldn't that be an exception to the rule? The reason we won the war was because we (they) all pitched in to the war effort.

Americans were terrified. It was an existential crisis. So was the Great Depression. Those events happen very rarely. America was not united during the American Revolution or the Civil War obviously. There may be unity again, but if will take an existential crisis to make it happen.

Quite interesting...

Americans were terrified. It was an existential crisis. So was the Great Depression. Those events happen very rarely. America was not united during the American Revolution or the Civil War obviously. There may be unity again, but it will take an existential crisis to make it happen.

That's my point. It shouldn't take fear or terror to unite us. We don't need a crisis to be united.

Forum List

Back