Seeing Eye to Eye, Coming Together in Unity

Quite interesting...

But citing WWII as an example, wouldn't that be an exception to the rule? The reason we won the war was because we (they) all pitched in to the war effort.

Americans were terrified. It was an existential crisis. So was the Great Depression. Those events happen very rarely. America was not united during the American Revolution or the Civil War obviously. There may be unity again, but it will take an existential crisis to make it happen.

That's my point. It shouldn't take fear or terror to unite us. We don't need a crisis to be united.

Unfortunately..I think that is exactly what must happen before anyone forgets boxes and labels and become just AMERICANS.

Quite interesting...

But citing WWII as an example, wouldn't that be an exception to the rule? The reason we won the war was because we (they) all pitched in to the war effort.

Americans were terrified. It was an existential crisis. So was the Great Depression. Those events happen very rarely. America was not united during the American Revolution or the Civil War obviously. There may be unity again, but it will take an existential crisis to make it happen.

That's my point. It shouldn't take fear or terror to unite us. We don't need a crisis to be united.

I agree, but I am also a pragmatist. People operate out of self-interest. Self-interest generally isn't real concerned about unity.

In my field there is a theorist (William Glasser, M.D.) who basically says virtually all human behavior is motivated by self-interested desires. These are the desires for power and control...for love and acceptance...and for respect of self and others.

Think of all the stupid things all of us have done in our lives to try and achieve those goals.

Those goals are generally confined to the individual, or close friends and family. To prioritize social unity above those personal desires is pretty rare.

I agree, but I am also a pragmatist. People operate out of self-interest. Self-interest generally isn't real concerned about unity.

In my field there is a theorist (William Glasser, M.D.) who basically says virtually all human behavior is motivated by self-interested desires. These are the desires for power and control...for love and acceptance...and for respect of self and others.

Think of all the stupid things all of us have done in our lives to try and achieve those goals.

Those goals are generally confined to the individual, or close friends and family. To prioritize social unity above those personal desires is pretty rare.

A story of my own:

I was raised in a military family. As a result I took ROTC in High School. One concept I grasped real quickly while in ROTC was the act of selflessness. The concept was well known in my family. Selflessness in this case was defined as placing the welfare of your squad-mates before your own. So, as my life went on, I thought, "Hey wait! Can't the idea of selflessness be applied to America as well?" So, I did thusly. Most of my views center on the betterment of my country, not purely on my own. I also notice that unity is driven by loyalty, not purely out of fear and chaos.

Last edited:
With all of this political derisiveness over the past decade and a half, along with watching the last episode of the Glenn Beck show air in July of 2011 in my waning days as a far right Republican; I was struck with a burning question: If, in a time of crisis or danger to the US as a whole, would we as a people put away our political views to work as one in a consolidated effort to avoid it? Or would we argue on how to go about this task? It's a disturbing proposition:

Would we let our political differences be the precursor to our destruction?

In my experience with politics, I have noticed an extreme societal divide between Americans. There is one side so deeply rooted in their beliefs that no other point of view is sufficient; and if the status quo is interrupted, they react in vitriolic ways, spewing hatred and slander at any opposition. The desire to control and manipulate general opinion has overwhelmed them.

On the other hand, however, the other side hopes to one day return to a time when the law was taken seriously and the government worked for them, not against them. They amass in protest against what their nation has become. If they are confronted with the fact of losing their freedoms, they too will react in a less mannerable way. Neither side is perfect, and in fact; both of them are guilty of extreme animosity towards each other. Although each side contends their ideas reap more merits the others; the truth is, no idea is a good idea unless everyone agrees with it. Naturally though, there is never unanimous approval with any idea.

I have seen how each of these sides look down one another for having a different points of view, with hatred boiling over. Since when is it okay to look down on someone? Or judge them for what they believe in? I have seen how much effort it takes to get a Democrat and a Republican to work together on something productive, for the benefit of America. For example, the debt ceiling talks, immigration reform, abortion, or gay rights/union rights. I have seen my fellow Americans dig themselves in amidst the political trenches, fiercely defending their views, while savagely attacking their opponents. Believe me, this author is no different.

Seriously though, would we ever come together as a country for a common cause? Can we ever put the "United" back in the United States of America again? Will we as a nation once more see each other eye to eye? Will we see each other as friends and fellow compatriots, or as enemies and abominations? Unity brings about strength and stability, while divisiveness only brings about chaos, hatred and weakness.

While you celebrate your freedom to agree or disagree on this new year, just remember, there are hundreds of millions of people just like us, with different points of view; fighting for a common cause: freedom. Perhaps that is an example that all of us would do well to follow.

I don't know how you could ever expect to see "eye to eye" with any Liberal when you've got such a ridiculously partisan view of that "side".

Your OP is part of the problem you are describing.

With all of this political derisiveness over the past decade and a half, along with watching the last episode of the Glenn Beck show air in July of 2011 in my waning days as a far right Republican; I was struck with a burning question: If, in a time of crisis or danger to the US as a whole, would we as a people put away our political views to work as one in a consolidated effort to avoid it? Or would we argue on how to go about this task? It's a disturbing proposition:

In my experience with politics, I have noticed an extreme societal divide between Americans. There is one side so deeply rooted in their beliefs that no other point of view is sufficient; and if the status quo is interrupted, they react in vitriolic ways, spewing hatred and slander at any opposition. The desire to control and manipulate general opinion has overwhelmed them.

On the other hand, however, the other side hopes to one day return to a time when the law was taken seriously and the government worked for them, not against them. They amass in protest against what their nation has become. If they are confronted with the fact of losing their freedoms, they too will react in a less mannerable way. Neither side is perfect, and in fact; both of them are guilty of extreme animosity towards each other. Although each side contends their ideas reap more merits the others; the truth is, no idea is a good idea unless everyone agrees with it. Naturally though, there is never unanimous approval with any idea.

I have seen how each of these sides look down one another for having a different points of view, with hatred boiling over. Since when is it okay to look down on someone? Or judge them for what they believe in? I have seen how much effort it takes to get a Democrat and a Republican to work together on something productive, for the benefit of America. For example, the debt ceiling talks, immigration reform, abortion, or gay rights/union rights. I have seen my fellow Americans dig themselves in amidst the political trenches, fiercely defending their views, while savagely attacking their opponents. Believe me, this author is no different.

Seriously though, would we ever come together as a country for a common cause? Can we ever put the "United" back in the United States of America again? Will we as a nation once more see each other eye to eye? Will we see each other as friends and fellow compatriots, or as enemies and abominations? Unity brings about strength and stability, while divisiveness only brings about chaos, hatred and weakness.

While you celebrate your freedom to agree or disagree on this new year, just remember, there are hundreds of millions of people just like us, with different points of view; fighting for a common cause: freedom. Perhaps that is an example that all of us would do well to follow.

I don't know how you could ever expect to see "eye to eye" with any Liberal when you've got such a ridiculously partisan view of that "side".

Sour puss, you've dashed his dream you brute..

I do? I don't comment because of speculation or personal belief here. I speak from observation. Both sides do it. What are you afraid of, perchance? That I might be right? Perhaps you could work on reading my OP before trashing it... in such a partisan way:

Last edited:

I do? I don't comment because of speculation or personal belief here. I speak from observation. Both sides do it. What are you afraid of, perchance? That I might be right? Perhaps you could work on reading my OP before trashing it... in such a partisan way:

theDoctorsIn has Obama like bedside manner..

I think sometimes people don't want to see past their own partisanship. It's like in the book of Matthew, Chapter 7, it speaks of a brother with a mote in their eye trying to remove the plank from his brother's eye. How can he see clearly to remove the plank from his brother's eye before he removes the mote from his own eye?

I read your OP, and I'm not "trashing" it. I see that you're trying to take a non-partisan view, and criticize both sides - but your description of what you think liberals believe reads as if it was written by Karl Rove.

I read your OP, and I'm not "trashing" it. I see that you're trying to take a non-partisan view, and criticize both sides - but your description of what you think liberals believe reads as if it was written by Karl Rove.

Karl Rove? I think Karl Rove is a stark raving lunatic! My description is spot on, given that the Democratic party has become more far left. Same has happened to Republicans. To deny it would be unfortunate. Both parties are screaming away from the center, and their reactions towards each other tend to prove it. Both parties are working towards alienating moderates at an alarming pace, Doc.

Last edited:
I'll never befriend or fight for or unite with a fucking libtard. You people are the scum of the Earth.

Karl Rove? I think Karl Rove is a stark raving lunatic! My description is spot on, given that the Democratic party has become more far left. Same has happened to Republicans. To deny it would be unfortunate. Both parties are screaming away from the center, and their reactions towards each other tend to prove it. Both parties are working towards alienating moderates at an alarming pace, Doc.

I disagree - Karl Rove is actually somewhat of a mastermind - but that's beside the point.

My point is that you open your post describing the left in a way that no member of the left would agree with.

Can you give me examples of how the Democratic Party has moved to the left?

I'll never befriend or fight for or unite with a fucking libtard. You people are the scum of the Earth.

Wait, did you just call me liberal? I am a libertarian.

That post is the problem here. And conservatives like you and Kosh wonder why nothing gets done in Washington?

You're either for slashing taxes and smaller government, or your a fucking libtard. Don't know or care what you are.

Nothing gets done in Washington because libtards just want to tax the hell out of us and hand it out to Obama's cronies who want Obamaphones and free welfare and food stamps.

There is no compromise with libtards. If this nation split and we lost all libtards with half the states, fine, because the other half of us would live just fine.

Forum List

Back