Senate Bill S510 Makes it illegal to Grow, Share, Trade or Sell Homegrown Food

Michigan has expanded the ability of homegrown and cooked or baked food products to be sold. You must label the food stuff as not inspected by the Dept. of Agriculture, but alot of things are now allowed that had been restricted before. Doesn't seem like such a bill would gain much traction in Congress right now with the economy the way it is. Not too worried.

I'm suspect this is the bill that is referred to every time the "tainted eggs in Iowa" story runs.

The bill that has been "languishing in Congress" that "strengthen the regulatory power of the Department of Agriculture".

Michigan has expanded the ability of homegrown and cooked or baked food products to be sold. You must label the food stuff as not inspected by the Dept. of Agriculture, but alot of things are now allowed that had been restricted before. Doesn't seem like such a bill would gain much traction in Congress right now with the economy the way it is. Not too worried.

I'm suspect this is the bill that is referred to every time the "tainted eggs in Iowa" story runs.

The bill that has been "languishing in Congress" that "strengthen the regulatory power of the Department of Agriculture".

The Department of Argiculture can't get out of their own way. Too many regs to enforce and away too few inspectors to ever be effective. Almost everything they do is after the fact.

Id say im surprised. But im not. I am not convinced it's an accurate report yet and wont be convinced until i see text, but I wouldn't be surprised.

To them i say, up yours.

Nope..it's this one that strengthens the regulatory power of the FDA.

H.R.2749: Food Safety Enhancement Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

I got to "well, I've read a summary of the bill" and had to stop. If you're looking for an analysis of a bill, start with someone who at least claims to have actually read it.

Key portion of this bill:

if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

Heaven forbid the FDA regulate food safety......
:eusa_eh:

I can just see it now....

"what are you in for?" - big burly inmate

"I grew some tomatoes and gave some to my starving neighbor." - bigger burlier inmate

"Damn...you're in for the long stretch...I killed a woman for calling me a pig when I threw my cigarette butt out my car window...my lawyer says I'll be out next month." - big burly inmate

I got to "well, I've read a summary of the bill" and had to stop. If you're looking for an analysis of a bill, start with someone who at least claims to have actually read it.

Key portion of this bill:

if the Secretary believes that there is a reasonable probability that the use of or exposure to such food will cause serious adverse health consequences or death.

Heaven forbid the FDA regulate food safety......
:eusa_eh:

yeah...I'm just glad they have FINALLY decided to uphold the laws that matter. Kinda makes you wonder what the hell they've been doing all these years doesn't it?

"I grew some tomatoes and gave some to my starving neighbor." - bigger burlier inmate

"Damn...you're in for the long stretch...I killed a woman for calling me a pig when I threw my cigarette butt out my car window...my lawyer says I'll be out next month." - big burly inmate

Pretty much how it will go lol

Most organic beef is not free of antibiotics and vaccinations.

I know because I know "organic" beef producers.

I would not want ot buy a beef that had infections or black leg or soemsuch.

It was my understanding that for beef to be labeled as "organic", you couldn't use antibiotics at all, but maybe I am mistaken.

Then again, it's basically an unregulated enterprise so who knows what the standards are?

:lol:

burly and bigger burlier inmates?
Interesting choice of words.

LMAO Had a visualization on that including TXlonghorn.

It was my understanding that for beef to be labeled as "organic", you couldn't use antibiotics at all, but maybe I am mistaken.

Then again, it's basically an unregulated enterprise so who knows what the standards are?

I buy Belgium Blue at the farmers market. It is USDA inspected.

According to their website:

Our cattle are not given steroids, animal-byproducts, or antibiotics. They are fed natural grains, grass, and hay.​
Ozark Belgian Blue Beef, LLC

IMAGE_033.jpg

I buy Belgium Blue at the farmers market. It is USDA inspected.

According to their website:

Our cattle are not given steroids, animal-byproducts, or antibiotics. They are fed natural grains, grass, and hay.​
Ozark Belgian Blue Beef, LLC

IMAGE_033.jpg

Maybe it's a Missouri thing. I asked my father why he didn't get in on the organic food racket and he said he couldn't, in good conscious, not use antibiotics on a cow with pneumonia or pink-eye.

Though we are basically a hay operation and don't use hormones. It's the antibiotic thing that bothers him.

Plus, if you lose a cow to pneumonia that could have been saved with some penicillin you really start to eat into your margin.

YouTube - Local farms could be illegal

As many people are feeling the economic downturn hit them, they are growing their own food. However, the government might try to take that choice away from the people as well by passing a bill that would make it illegal to clean and store seeds.

This is absurd. I thought this was the land of the free. What is wrong with this place?

Its the change that obama spoke of. This is what happens when you elect liberals with an agenda.

I can understand making it illegal to sell homegrown food products as that is unregulated. I have my doubts that any law would outlaw "growing, sharing, or trading" homegrown produce.

me, too... and given that GPO hasn't yet put the text of the bill online, i think i'll wait to read it before beating i get all faux hysterical about it

The text of S510 has not yet been received from GPO

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I posted the link for Senate Bill S510 three replies before this one on page one.

I can understand making it illegal to sell homegrown food products as that is unregulated. I have my doubts that any law would outlaw "growing, sharing, or trading" homegrown produce.

me, too... and given that GPO hasn't yet put the text of the bill online, i think i'll wait to read it before beating i get all faux hysterical about it

Interesting. That's not what you said with the healthcare bill.... you were all 'yay' for that - waaaaaay before it was online. Just sayin', mo chara. Pick a side and stick with it. Either it is acceptable to way in on the bill before its out or its not. But right now, you look a tad 'whatever suits my political view'. And you're better than that.

Interesting. That's not what you said with the healthcare bill.... you were all 'yay' for that - waaaaaay before it was online. Just sayin', mo chara. Pick a side and stick with it. Either it is acceptable to way in on the bill before its out or its not. But right now, you look a tad 'whatever suits my political view'. And you're better than that.

Spot on. They can't have their " FREE HEALTHCARE" without the government controling more and more of the lives of Americans. I hope most didn't think that the free didn't come without a price. This is just a start.

As many people are feeling the economic downturn hit them, they are growing their own food. However, the government might try to take that choice away from the people as well by passing a bill that would make it illegal to clean and store seeds.

george4title:

The feds can do and say what they want, but so will I. In fact, I have lived the survivalist life for neary 20 years, and I have no intention of changing my ways now. If push comes to shove, I'll show the tyrants what the business end of a sighted-in Mini-14 Ranch rife is capable of doing at 200 yards, especially when loaded with NATO .223 rounds. The feds ain't the Russian Jews and this isn't the Christian Ukraine of Stalin's 1930s. In this nation, We the People are armed to the teeth -- and pissed off enough to shot the communists.

RO

george4title:

The feds can do and say what they want, but so will I. In fact, I have lived the survivalist life for neary 20 years, and I have no intention of changing my ways now. If push comes to shove, I'll show the tyrants what the business end of a sighted-in Mini-14 Ranch rife is capable of doing at 200 yards, especially when loaded with NATO .223 rounds. The feds ain't the Russian Jews and this isn't the Christian Ukraine of Stalin's 1930s. In this nation, We the People are armed to the teeth -- and pissed off enough to shot the communists.

RO

Spot on.

Forum List

Back