Serena is Out at Wimbledon

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012

As I have known for decades, it is one thing to retain your athletic strength and skill as you age, but the unavoidable problem is, you become susceptible to injury, and those injuries require longer and longer rehab - not always successful.

While I admit I'm not her greatest fan, clearly it is time for her to give some serious thought to retirement.

Was a bit of a fan of hers until the churlish McEnroe impersonation she did last year.

Now she can just go away.

As I have known for decades, it is one thing to retain your athletic strength and skill as you age, but the unavoidable problem is, you become susceptible to injury, and those injuries require longer and longer rehab - not always successful.

While I admit I'm not her greatest fan, clearly it is time for her to give some serious thought to retirement.
She's had a helluva run, but inevitably age gets us all.

Was a bit of a fan of hers until the churlish McEnroe impersonation she did last year.

Now she can just go away.
Which McEnroe thought was funny. Don't be more offended than the victim, or someone is going to mistake you for a woke trans snowflake.

She's been dominant for a long time. As you suggested, age and even motherhood takes a toll.

I hope she sticks with it to try and win a Grand Slam again. She should probably focus on slight weight loss to compensate for her aging. Replace some power for more speed. I said the same about Raonic, a Canadian who never seemed to get that final win.

He had lost quite a lot of weight and became something more than just his serve. Even beating top players (Djokovic maybe?) on an occassion or two. I'm not sure how he has done of late though.

I love to play tennis but it's way too boring to watch on TV. ... :cool:

I find it to be fairly entertaining to watch, especially the womens game as there aren't any players who just dominate with a serve, there are actual rallies.
That's been my attraction to women's tennis as I age. Especially doubles.
Not sorry about Serena Williams leaving the draw ingloriously.
It never occurred to her, I guess, to drop about thirty pounds. You look at the rest of the field and then
her and the dichotomy is absurd.

Spoiled by her own success. Time to move on. I'm guessing the US Open is her last stand and also guessing
she won't make it through the first week there.

I love to play tennis but it's way too boring to watch on TV. ... :cool:

I find it to be fairly entertaining to watch, especially the womens game as there aren't any players who just dominate with a serve, there are actual rallies.
That's been my attraction to women's tennis as I age. Especially doubles.
Not sorry about Serena Williams leaving the draw ingloriously.
It never occurred to her, I guess, to drop about thirty pounds. You look at the rest of the field and then
her and the dichotomy is absurd.

Spoiled by her own success. Time to move on.

Or she's just not willing or able to lose the weight. It's not easy as one ages, even for athletes.

Or she's just not willing or able to lose the weight. It's not easy as one ages, even for athletes.
Not easy but not impossible either. Especially for someone with a butt-load of money and access to
the best trainers around.
I would say it IS that she's not willing to make the effort. She hasn't had to grind out a match for
years and years now. She's used to just hitting people off the court.

Those days are long gone. As I said, a victim of her own success.

45451213_401.jpg

I one of ours beat her at the U.S Open after that, Bianca Andrescu or whatever her name is. She's from the Toronto area.
Yes. Andrescu climbed the heights and then has her own injury problems to overcome.
The same could be said for Ash Barty of Australia. Or Sonia Kenin of the US.
I have sympathy for all of them. None for the imperious Serena though.

Andrescu out in first round. Takes a bad 2-2 loss to Alize Cornet, a French player who
has been in good form recently in the feeder grass court tournaments pre Wimbledon.

Forum List

Back