Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

One would wonder what percentage of the population all the overblown paranoia displayed in this thread represents.
It is almost scary.

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.
Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
I find the whole story implausible.

Ever watch the Mythbusters? This season they placed a semi-auto handgun with a chambered round in oil in a deep fryer - at around 360 degrees it fired. Not related to your post in anyway, but something you might find interesting,
Had a loaded 1911 Colt go off on me in a house fire years ago. Replaced the grips, cleaned it up and carried it for years.

Not very likely that it was 360 degrees in this woman's purse, donchathink?

Depends on how hot she was!?? I posted the comment based on your use of the word implausible, the term the mythbusters use when they bust a myth.
I watch the show.....

She'd have to be at least this hot.

hott.jpg

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.
Guns do not go off when dropped, An old revolver left cocked, might, but not likely.
An automatic, left cocked without the safety on would need to have something substantial engaging the trigger to go off when dropped. Even then, it's 99:1 that that would mean the barrel is pointed down when the gun goes off.
I find the whole story implausible.

Ever watch the Mythbusters? This season they placed a semi-auto handgun with a chambered round in oil in a deep fryer - at around 360 degrees it fired. Not related to your post in anyway, but something you might find interesting,

Why exactly were they frying a gun?

You might want to watch the show, it's really clever. To answer your question, in a movie a bad guy tossed his gun in a deep fryer as he was running form the law.

I didn't see the movie, but the myth was either the gun fired or it did not. I assume it did because when they place the gun into the deep fryer it did go off and they round the myth to be plausible.

I watch it pretty often actually.
Which is the reason I asked why they were doing it.
Kinda figured that was going to be the myth.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I always figured if you want a pocket gun there are plenty of .380 and 9mm. semi autos out there that are plenty small. And you can actually hit with em.

I carry a Springfield XDS .45 with extended mag. with R.I.P. rounds. Deadly accurate!

Only time you can carry this one is in the winter if you want to keep it concealed.
'Bama is an open carry state. I am considering a pair of Colt 1873's with a cross draw rig.
I do call my bar Doc Holliday's.

That'd be some funny shit right there!!
I have a black duster and a cool vest, the boots and I always wear a black cowboy hat. WTF I might as well. I can do it all for about a grand.

I always figured if you want a pocket gun there are plenty of .380 and 9mm. semi autos out there that are plenty small. And you can actually hit with em.

I carry a Springfield XDS .45 with extended mag. with R.I.P. rounds. Deadly accurate!

Only time you can carry this one is in the winter if you want to keep it concealed.
'Bama is an open carry state. I am considering a pair of Colt 1873's with a cross draw rig.

I have a black duster and a cool vest, the boots and I always wear a black cowboy hat. WTF I might as well. I can do it all for about a grand.

The only draw back I can see is no drinking a beer or two at work.:beer:

The only draw back I can see is no drinking a beer or two at work.:beer:
I haven't had a drink in 27 years. Not a problem.

I'm not a gun person, so I don't know. Could it be that something in the purse got caught in the trigger when the purse fell to fire the weapon? A small brush, a tube of lipstick, etc. If it were to end up against the trigger of an unsafed weapon and it was dropped, how likely it would cause the gun to fire?

I'm not a gun person, so I don't know. Could it be that something in the purse got caught in the trigger when the purse fell to fire the weapon? A small brush, a tube of lipstick, etc. If it were to end up against the trigger of an unsafed weapon and it was dropped, how likely it would cause the gun to fire?
Could be, but if that happened, the gun would have fired down. Anything that pulled the trigger when the gun was pointed up would need to be very heavy and likely couldn't have fouled the trigger.A ricochet at a near 180 degree bounce wouldn't do much damage at all. On asphalt, probably none at all.

It would depend on the type of pistol and what condition it was in,but yeah i'd say it's entirely possible.

Accidental discharges are very rare. I'd say 80% of "accidents" are negligence and the rest are intentional with no witnesses and no proof of intent.
Think about an uncontrolled gun going off. Realistically the bullet could hit any of an infinite number of points in a spherical pattern. the odds of a person occupying a set of points that would result in injury is, depending on range, quite small.
I remain skeptical of this story. It's more likely the woman, as she was getting into her car, reached in her purse, perhaps to put the gun in the glove box? and grabbed it by the trigger. Negligence! Hardly an accidental discharge. Guns are serious things. Carrying one is a big responsibility. Please use the utmost care when you handle one.

Accidental discharges are very rare. I'd say 80% of "accidents" are negligence and the rest are intentional with no witnesses and no proof of intent.
Think about an uncontrolled gun going off. Realistically the bullet could hit any of an infinite number of points in a spherical pattern. the odds of a person occupying a set of points that would result in injury is, depending on range, quite small.
I remain skeptical of this story. It's more likely the woman, as she was getting into her car, reached in her purse, perhaps to put the gun in the glove box? and grabbed it by the trigger. Negligence! Hardly an accidental discharge. Guns are serious things. Carrying one is a big responsibility. Please use the utmost care when you handle one.

Well, I might call reaching into your purse and unintentionally firing a gun inside both negligent and accidental. ;)

Why would he have a cocked derringer in his pocket?
Stupid is hereditary.
Derringers scare the crap out of me. Most are cheaply made and none have a trigger guard. My partner carries one when he's behind the bar, but never cocked.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I wear a light jacket, it's not a problem concealing it.

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying

Guns should be loaded to full capacity. In the heat of the moment most people will not remember to chamber a round or unlock a safety. In the time it takes to chamber a round, you could be shot dead. Unless you practice drawing and chambering where it's second nature, I advise not to have an empty chamber.

Guns should be loaded to full capacity. In the heat of the moment most people will not remember to chamber a round or unlock a safety. In the time it takes to chamber a round, you could be shot dead. Unless you practice drawing and chambering where it's second nature, I advise not to have an empty chamber.

How often is anyone ever really quick drawing on someone? Gun people are always going on about how most the time the gun isn't even fired. If you don't have to shoot you dont need one in the chamber. Way more lives and injuries would be saved carrying without than are saved from drawing and shooting a little faster.

It does happen. A friend of mine from way back had a cousin that got shot by a 4.10.
The kid was swinging a stick and knocked it over and it fired,hit em in the hip luckily,but he never did walk right again.

How often is anyone ever really quick drawing on someone? Gun people are always going on about how most the time the gun isn't even fired. If you don't have to shoot you dont need one in the chamber. Way more lives and injuries would be saved carrying without than are saved from drawing and shooting a little faster.

It's perfectly safe when done properly.

It's perfectly safe when done properly.

I realize it can and is often done with no issues. But I think if you put a number on how many people are accidently injured/killed from it vs saved the injured/killed number would be much bigger.

Forum List

Back