Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

Stupid is hereditary.
Derringers scare the crap out of me. Most are cheaply made and none have a trigger guard. My partner carries one when he's behind the bar, but never cocked.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I always figured if you want a pocket gun there are plenty of .380 and 9mm. semi autos out there that are plenty small. And you can actually hit with em.

I carry a Springfield XDS .45 with extended mag. with R.I.P. rounds. Deadly accurate!

Only time you can carry this one is in the winter if you want to keep it concealed.

I wear a light jacket, it's not a problem concealing it.

The pic didnt take,I was referring to the one on top.
upload_2015-7-28_13-41-29.png

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying

Guns should be loaded to full capacity. In the heat of the moment most people will not remember to chamber a round or unlock a safety. In the time it takes to chamber a round, you could be shot dead. Unless you practice drawing and chambering where it's second nature, I advise not to have an empty chamber.

That's both silly and dangerous. All you need is a good old fashioned revolver. Simply pulling the trigger chambers a round and you're busting caps.

I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying

Guns should be loaded to full capacity. In the heat of the moment most people will not remember to chamber a round or unlock a safety. In the time it takes to chamber a round, you could be shot dead. Unless you practice drawing and chambering where it's second nature, I advise not to have an empty chamber.

How often is anyone ever really quick drawing on someone? Gun people are always going on about how most the time the gun isn't even fired. If you don't have to shoot you dont need one in the chamber. Way more lives and injuries would be saved carrying without than are saved from drawing and shooting a little faster.

It's perfectly safe when done properly.

I realize it can and is often done with no issues. But I think if you put a number on how many people are accidently injured/killed from it vs saved the injured/killed number would be much bigger.

The problem is education and the ability to recognize a firearm that can be carried safely with one in the pipe,or at least take certain precautions with one that may pose a problem.

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.

That's both silly and dangerous. All you need is a good old fashioned revolver. Simply pulling the trigger chambers a round and you're busting caps.

If you have a double action semi auto it works the same way.
One in the chamber with the hammer down. You have to pull the trigger much harder,pretty much like a revolver,for the first round. From then on out the trigger pull is much lighter which aids in accuracy compared to the revolvers harder trigger pull.
Not that you cant be accurate with a revolver in a panic situation it's just more difficult.

Make sure you have the safety on hand gun common sense 101 sadly some people lack common sense.

Many guns lack safeties.
According to what you posted in the Op hers did and it was off.

Yes. Amazing though that many have a bullet in the chamber and no safety.
I can't think of many off the top of my head that don't have a safety I'm thinking they would have to be older model guns. Seems the firing or trigger mechanism would have to be pretty sensitive to go off from being dropped it's not impossible but I would say its rare.

Make sure you have the safety on hand gun common sense 101 sadly some people lack common sense.

Many guns lack safeties.

I can't think of many off the top of my head that don't have a safety I'm thinking they would have to be older model guns. Seems the firing or trigger mechanism would have to be pretty sensitive to go off from being dropped it's not impossible but I would say its rare.

I think most the smaller carry guns don't have safeties like glocks and ruger lcp for example.

Many guns lack safeties.

I think most the smaller carry guns don't have safeties like glocks and ruger lcp for example.
I'm going to have to check that out the next time I'm in Bass Pro or Gander Mountain and get and idea of which do and don't have safeties.

Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

How often is anyone ever really quick drawing on someone? Gun people are always going on about how most the time the gun isn't even fired. If you don't have to shoot you dont need one in the chamber. Way more lives and injuries would be saved carrying without than are saved from drawing and shooting a little faster.
See my previous post. Had that man had the knife pictured below, I'd have died.
Yes, that's a quarter sitting on the blade.
bigassknife.jpg

Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

If you didn't even fire you didn't need one in the chamber.

Accidental discharges are very rare. I'd say 80% of "accidents" are negligence and the rest are intentional with no witnesses and no proof of intent.
Think about an uncontrolled gun going off. Realistically the bullet could hit any of an infinite number of points in a spherical pattern. the odds of a person occupying a set of points that would result in injury is, depending on range, quite small.
I remain skeptical of this story. It's more likely the woman, as she was getting into her car, reached in her purse, perhaps to put the gun in the glove box? and grabbed it by the trigger. Negligence! Hardly an accidental discharge. Guns are serious things. Carrying one is a big responsibility. Please use the utmost care when you handle one.

It does happen. A friend of mine from way back had a cousin that got shot by a 4.10.
The kid was swinging a stick and knocked it over and it fired,hit em in the hip luckily,but he never did walk right again.
Of course, it's possible, but swinging a stick near a loaded weapon is something a rational person doesn't do. Was it an accident or negligence?

You are insane! I am not willing to take that chance. If you are, I feel very sorry for you.

You are insane! I am not willing to take that chance. If you are, I feel very sorry for you.

Again you didn't fire. A bullet in the chamber made no difference. How many people have you shot?

Don't feel sorry for me, I don't even need to carry and I am fine.

Busting caps? You watch too much TV.

Again you didn't fire. A bullet in the chamber made no difference. How many people have you shot?

Don't feel sorry for me, I don't even need to carry and I am fine.
I've not had to shoot anyone, but I am willing and able to if have to.
I own a bar. I more or less need to have a firearm. There still are a few Liberals in Alabama.

Forum List

Back