Should a funeral be a quiet, dignified affair?

I don't know if any of you have cremated a loved one, but let me warn you it's... different.

The "box" is heavy. The "ashes" aren't ashes, but little bits of bone. Crunchy burned-bleach-white bone. No casket (open or closed), no body, no carrying the big sled to the grave site. No lowering into the ground or chucking fistfuls of dirt into the hole.

I've done it once, but never again.

I don't know if any of you have cremated a loved one, but let me warn you it's... different.

The "box" is heavy. The "ashes" aren't ashes, but little bits of bone. Crunchy burned-bleach-white bone. No casket (open or closed), no body, no carrying the big sled to the grave site. No lowering into the ground or chucking fistfuls of dirt into the hole.

it's much more eco friendly Mr H. :)

they'll burn me.... I'm long gone..... I wouldn't give a fig I am leaving all behind.....I am being honest here.

Do whatever you want! :)

You leave your behind I promise to honor your requests.

Or should it be a celebration of a life?

Personally, I want heavy rock, semi naked (or naked will be fine) dancing girls, debauchery and other general filth along with necrophiliacs so I can go out with a bang.

AC/DC - Highway To Hell (Iron Man 2 Version) - YouTube

All those tears and miserable sods just aren't my style.

Die as you lived.

I wouldn't be able to help myself Fred...I know I'd cry at your funeral.

This is an interesting topic.... morbid but interesting.

it's much more eco friendly Mr H. :)

When my brother died, I got phone calls from all corners. "Please send some 'ashes' and we will bury them...".

Fuck that shit.

I found myself scooping his incinerated body into Ziploc baggies, boxing it up and sending out UPS.

No thanks. Not again.

It should be whatever the person and the family decides. Some want a celebration, some want mourning. The worst thing would be to impose upon a grieving family a form of burial ceremony that they do not what, no matter what kind it is.

There was a bit of an uproar here a few years ago. A number of deeply committed Christians wanted their favorite ACDC tracks played at their funeral - but the church which they attended refused to play the tracks, insisting they were 'unChristian'. That left the grieving families very disappointed that their loved ones couldn't have the funeral they desired.

I think a funeral should be what you want it to be - within reason. Play whatever music you like. I'd be angry if I couldn't have the funeral I desire.

You ever touch the body of a dead or recently-dead brother? Friend or relative?

I got to my brother's body just hours after he left it. He was 48 years old. I'm 58 now.

The first words out of my mouth were "I'm sorry".

And to this day I'm sorry. I miss that guy. Stupid fuck that he was.

You ever touch the body of a dead or recently-dead brother? Friend or relative?

I got to my brother's body just hours after he left it. He was 48 years old. I'm 58 now.

The first words out of my mouth were "I'm sorry".

And to this day I'm sorry. I miss that guy. Stupid fuck that he was.

I went to a viewing of my deceased grandfather, and said my final goodbyes. When my other grandfather died, I personally requested a viewing, because I knew how much it helped me to deal with the death of my first grandpa.

We will always miss those loved ones. The pain fades after while, but the memories are with us forever.

th

Well I've got another family funeral to go to this weekend. It hasn't even been a month yet since my last remaining grandparent was laid to rest and now just this morning, I lost an aunt who has had Alzheimer's Disease for the past three years. :( :( :(

God bless you and the remainder of my family always!!!

Holly

P.S. Today was supposed to be a day of celebration because it is my mom's birthday. Sadly other things always have to just take over and I am sick of it. I am only 30 years old and I have probably been to more funerals than the average person goes to in their whole life. :( :( :(

Or should it be a celebration of a life?

Personally, I want heavy rock, semi naked (or naked will be fine) dancing girls, debauchery and other general filth along with necrophiliacs so I can go out with a bang.

AC/DC - Highway To Hell (Iron Man 2 Version) - YouTube

All those tears and miserable sods just aren't my style.

Die as you lived.

Good music choice I want the Curly shuffle played at my funeral.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBiHysKnvGs]The Curly Shuffle - Jump 'N' The Saddle's version - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back