🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should Supreme Court Justices have life long appointments?

Desperado

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2012
I believe there should not be lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court, I think there should be a mandatory retirement age, say 65 years old and you are out.

Totally agree with the OP. And that 65 year old age is also going to have to be a line in the sand for a presidential candidate.

We can't have people with failing faculties running the nation and being in such vital positions of power. As anyone with eyes can see, even a 4-year term in POTUS strips the life out of someone and ages them about 20 years during that time.

Start out in office at 70 and at the end of four years in today's complex world, that president will be functioning for all intents and purposes as a 90 year old. Ever been to an old folks home and seen the mental capacity of most 90 year olds? Add ungodly stress to that and we're in big trouble..

I believe there should not be lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court, I think there should be a mandatory retirement age, say 65 years old and you are out.
no.....10 years and then they get replaced by WHOEVER is President at the time they step down...the chief justice should be the one with the most seniority....

Actually, I'm more for an eight year term limit. I don't favor any job that is a lifetime appointment.

Life time appointments was to keep the court above politics. It's obvious the Democrats choose justices that only agree with their ideology. Like everything, they have preverted our system of government. Therefore, I am now in favor of short term appointments of 8 years with staggered appointments like the Senate.

8 or 10 years terms would work but they would also be one and done,,, no multiple terns

Judges should be appointed for life. This should not be political football and especially with the Supreme Court Justices.

Fascinating, how so many conservatives suddenly decided they're against lifetime appointments just as the SC is about to get a liberal majority. None of them were calling for Scalia's forced retirement when he was alive.

Of course, should a Republican win the presidency and get a couple picks, they'd flip right back to loving lifetime appointments.

You'd need a Constitutional amendment to change that wouldn't you?

Article lll Sec. l
The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office.

Why would you want to expose another branch of your government to the temptations of the revolving door. Damn, that's all you need, supreme court justices influenced in their decisions by enticingly lucrative corporate prospects post service. Better to have them die on the bench even if you hate them.

Fascinating, how so many conservatives suddenly decided they're against lifetime appointments just as the SC is about to get a liberal majority. None of them were calling for Scalia's forced retirement when he was alive.

Of course, should a Republican win the presidency and get a couple picks, they'd flip right back to loving lifetime appointments.

I didn't see them calling for any of them retiring. Straw man alert

Scalia's death just brought up the topic.

Article lll Sec. l
The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office.

Why would you want to expose another branch of your government to the temptations of the revolving door. Damn, that's all you need, supreme court justices influenced in their decisions by enticingly lucrative corporate prospects post service. Better to have them die on the bench even if you hate them.
Ok forget the term limits but there needs to be a mandatory retirement age of 65. Right now the average age a Supreme Court justice is 69.7 years old and senility is starting to set in.

Scalia's death just brought up the topic.

Article lll Sec. l

Ok forget the term limits but there needs to be a mandatory retirement age of 65. Right now the average age a Supreme Court justice is 69.7 years old and senility is starting to set in.
Prove senility is starting to set in.

Life-tenured justices should serve per good behavior. Failure to act on unjust decisions has created a junta that controls the legislature and, since Marbury v Madison, made for life five men the final arbiter of all valuations in the United States.

Lifetime tenures were once a good idea, but the court has become corrupt.

ageism.jpg

Life-tenured justices should serve per good behavior. Failure to act on unjust decisions has created a junta that controls the legislature and, since Marbury v Madison, made for life five men the final arbiter of all valuations in the United States.

Lifetime tenures were once a good idea, but the court has become corrupt.

A junta?

Get real.

I think the notion of an activist court might be where we went wrong though. . .

Let's hope the Judicial Activism doesn't get as bad as it is in India, eh?

If they could just stick to a strict interpretation of the law, there would be no problem. Often times, they like to get political.

If judges want to get political, they should take off their robes and run for office.

Forum List

Back