🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should Supreme Court Justices have life long appointments?

Judges should be appointed for life. This should not be political football and especially with the Supreme Court Justices.
people get way to comfortable,and many cases way to old.....10 years and you are out,and whoever is president at the time picks a new one...

Well, Mark Levin proposed term limits of twelve years, with the Justices divided into three groups, so that every four years, one-third of the Justices would be replaced. I think it would allow for someone to be re-appointed, provided there was a four-year break between terms.

He also proposed that their rulings could be overridden by both Congress and the States, provided 3/5 of whichever approved it.

Democrats shouldn't be allowed to choose justices.

Oh, I agree....without them dumb ass democrats on the bench, white girls and white boys would still be in segregated schools, women would be having babies that they don't want, white girls wouldn't be able to marry black men and on and on and on. So I agree
Republicans are the ones who freed the slaves and Republicans are the ones who fought for civil rights.
Democrats are the ones who tried to filibuster both.

Put it this way, if a republican freed the slaves, its because they owned a few and if any of these losers fought for civil rights, then they're indian givers, cause they show trying to take em back.

Put it this way: you will believe what you choose to believe, regardless of evidence, because partisanship will always trump truth with you.

If the law is deemed unconstitutional, the SC will tell you in the opinion what has to happen to make it constitutional. It's up to Congress to alter the law to make it constitutional.

Judges should be appointed for life. This should not be political football and especially with the Supreme Court Justices.
people get way to comfortable,and many cases way to old.....10 years and you are out,and whoever is president at the time picks a new one...

Well, Mark Levin proposed term limits of twelve years, with the Justices divided into three groups, so that every four years, one-third of the Justices would be replaced. I think it would allow for someone to be re-appointed, provided there was a four-year break between terms.

He also proposed that their rulings could be overridden by both Congress and the States, provided 3/5 of whichever approved it.
i can go for that....

I believe there should not be lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court, I think there should be a mandatory retirement age, say 65 years old and you are out.

I agree. They get too old to think properly.

They are 9 politically appointed lawyers, appointed by one politician and approved by a majority of the politicians in the Senate, course it is political.

Life time appointments was to keep the court above politics. It's obvious the Democrats choose justices that only agree with their ideology. Like everything, they have preverted our system of government. Therefore, I am now in favor of short term appointments of 8 years with staggered appointments like the Senate.

I agree, and I also want a 2/3 majority in the house and Senate to overturn a Supreme Court decision.....the lunacy of having 9 politically appointed lawyers tell a country of over 320 million people what they think is Constitutional is nuts....

Fascinating, how so many conservatives suddenly decided they're against lifetime appointments just as the SC is about to get a liberal majority. None of them were calling for Scalia's forced retirement when he was alive.

Of course, should a Republican win the presidency and get a couple picks, they'd flip right back to loving lifetime appointments.

Yeah......there have always been conservatives who thought it was crazy for the Court to have so much power......just ask Mark Levin........

I believe there should not be lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court, I think there should be a mandatory retirement age, say 65 years old and you are out.

You'd need a Constitutional amendment to change that wouldn't you?

Article lll Sec. l
The judicial power of the United States, shall be vested in one Supreme Court, and in such inferior courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour, and shall, at stated times, receive for their services, a compensation, which shall not be diminished during their continuance in office.

Why would you want to expose another branch of your government to the temptations of the revolving door. Damn, that's all you need, supreme court justices influenced in their decisions by enticingly lucrative corporate prospects post service. Better to have them die on the bench even if you hate them.

Because the left puts justices on who don't care about the constitution....they break their oath with each decision.

FDR suggested the same thing and got sternly rebuffed by congress and the people.

He was going to put more lefty justices on the court to do his bidding......

Oh, I agree....without them dumb ass democrats on the bench, white girls and white boys would still be in segregated schools, women would be having babies that they don't want, white girls wouldn't be able to marry black men and on and on and on. So I agree
Republicans are the ones who freed the slaves and Republicans are the ones who fought for civil rights.

Put it this way, if a republican freed the slaves, its because they owned a few and if any of these losers fought for civil rights, then they're indian givers, cause they show trying to take em back.

Do you actually study history......the democrats fought to keep the slaves, created jim crow laws and democrats created the kkk....all in order to fight republicans and keep blacks inferior to democrats.

You do realize that the Republicans did fight the major civil rights battles...right...and the democrats used lynching, bombs, dogs, fire hoses and police batons to stop them...right?

Mark Levin...he is the man.....

If you want to understand the constitution listen to his show.....and if you want to know about the Supreme Court read his book, "Men in Black."

so you hate the constitution and want to upset the ability of the supreme court to check the actions of the executive and legislative branches which is their job.

You do realize that the Republicans did fight the major civil rights battles...right...and the democrats used lynching, bombs, dogs, fire hoses and police batons to stop them...right?

southern democrats. and they're all republicans now so why do wingers keep bringing that up. lincoln is rolling over in his grave at what you'e done to his party.

FDR suggested the same thing and got sternly rebuffed by congress and the people.

Right. He had political motives too. Are political motives only noble when the politics are yours?

so you hate the constitution and want to upset the ability of the supreme court to check the actions of the executive and legislative branches which is their job.

Only a lefty could get that from that post.......Reality Dyslexia.....

Right. He had political motives too. Are political motives only noble when the politics are yours?

Yes....we support actually using the Constitution to make decisions...the left sees the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as blocks to enacting their social change......so yes...we have the more noble purpose. If people want the Constitution changed there is an amendment process, the left doesn't want to take the time and effort to do that when one judge can just change it in a ruling.

Forum List

Back