🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should Supreme Court Justices have life long appointments?

You could go as far as allowing a total of 20 years in federal political office. You spend 16 years as a Rep and Senator, then only one term as president.

FDR suggested the same thing and got sternly rebuffed by congress and the people.

He was going to put more lefty justices on the court to do his bidding......
Right. He had political motives too. Are political motives only noble when the politics are yours?

Yes....we support actually using the Constitution to make decisions...the left sees the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as blocks to enacting their social change......so yes...we have the more noble purpose. If people want the Constitution changed there is an amendment process, the left doesn't want to take the time and effort to do that when one judge can just change it in a ruling.
Ah! The constitution! That's the document that spells out the terms of service for Justices of the Supreme Court. It says something about lifetime appointments, doesn't it? And there's something in there about how the President of the United States makes appointments to the federal courts, including the Supreme Court and the Senate can confirm or deny those appointments.

Where does it say the Senate can refuse that confirmation or denial on political grounds?

Ah! The constitution! When you say you would adhere to it and follow it to the letter, it's important that you do just that!

It does not give reasons for why the Senate should or should not confirm the nominee, and no one denies that obama can make an appointment....the Senate does not have to confirm anyone. Each Senator takes an oath to protect and defend the Constitution....that would apply to appointees......they cannot appoint people who would attack the Constitution or undermine it...that would go against their oath....
Senate confirmation is part of the constitutional process. you ASSUME the worst of your fellow American jurists, a very cynical outlook. Partisanship and hyperbole have blinded you to the fact that the constitution serves the people, the people do not serve the constitution.

If it were true that the government should only deliver the mail, guard the coast, protect private property and get out of the way, there would be only 12 buildings in Washington D.C.

But the constitution is bigger than that. It is elastic enough to server the generations since 1789.

If the constitution was as static as the Rabid Right believes, our society would still have no paved roads, rum would be used as an anesthetic, and Negroes would be counted as 3/5 of a person.

Every attempt at political hyperbole about how your opponents would destroy the nation falls on deaf and incongruous ears.

If the law is deemed unconstitutional, the SC will tell you in the opinion what has to happen to make it constitutional. It's up to Congress to alter the law to make it constitutional.

I don't really recall anything in the Constitution about the Supreme Court giving marching orders to the other branches of government.

Judges should be appointed for life. This should not be political football and especially with the Supreme Court Justices.

They are 9 politically appointed lawyers, appointed by one politician and approved by a majority of the politicians in the Senate, course it is political.

The fastest way to make it less political is to strip the Unconstitutional extra powers they've arrogated to themselves away from them.

If the law is deemed unconstitutional, the SC will tell you in the opinion what has to happen to make it constitutional. It's up to Congress to alter the law to make it constitutional.

I don't really recall anything in the Constitution about the Supreme Court giving marching orders to the other branches of government.

They don't. You just don't like it.

Right. He had political motives too. Are political motives only noble when the politics are yours?

Yes....we support actually using the Constitution to make decisions...the left sees the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as blocks to enacting their social change......so yes...we have the more noble purpose. If people want the Constitution changed there is an amendment process, the left doesn't want to take the time and effort to do that when one judge can just change it in a ruling.
Ah! The constitution! That's the document that spells out the terms of service for Justices of the Supreme Court. It says something about lifetime appointments, doesn't it? And there's something in there about how the President of the United States makes appointments to the federal courts, including the Supreme Court and the Senate can confirm or deny those appointments.

Where does it say the Senate can refuse that confirmation or denial on political grounds?

Ah! The constitution! When you say you would adhere to it and follow it to the letter, it's important that you do just that!

It does not give reasons for why the Senate should or should not confirm the nominee, and no one denies that obama can make an appointment....the Senate does not have to confirm anyone. Each Senator takes an oath to protect and defend the Constitution....that would apply to appointees......they cannot appoint people who would attack the Constitution or undermine it...that would go against their oath....
Senate confirmation is part of the constitutional process. you ASSUME the worst of your fellow American jurists, a very cynical outlook. Partisanship and hyperbole have blinded you to the fact that the constitution serves the people, the people do not serve the constitution.

If it were true that the government should only deliver the mail, guard the coast, protect private property and get out of the way, there would be only 12 buildings in Washington D.C.

You say that as though there were something wrong with it.

But the constitution is bigger than that. It is elastic enough to server the generations since 1789.

The Constitution is not the least bit elastic. It's a piece of paper (well, sheepskin). It says what it says, no more and no less. It has served all this time because it embodies and protects fundamental rights, and because it can be altered, through very precise, specific means. It has not served because you can read it to be whatever the hell your current whim is.

If the constitution was as static as the Rabid Right believes, our society would still have no paved roads, rum would be used as an anesthetic, and Negroes would be counted as 3/5 of a person.

Every attempt at political hyperbole about how your opponents would destroy the nation falls on deaf and incongruous ears.

Oh, wah wah "Fucking run for the hills! We're all going to live in caves if the rules can't be changed mid-game because we feel like it! The only way to have anything accomplished is if benevolent leftists can rule as overlords! All modern benefits flow from Democrats!"

Tell you what, Mensa Boy. Why don't you tell us EXACTLY what extra-Constitutional means HAD to be taken to produce paved roads and the development of anesthetic beyond rum.

I'm not even going to TOUCH that laughable "It's mean and racist to prevent slave owners from having power! What's important is to make the Negroes FEEL good with the right words while they're picking cotton in chains!" bullshit. There are just no words for how fucking stupid you sounded just now.

Did you know you make no frigging sense, or do I get the honor of being the first to give you that ice-water-in-the-face dose of reality?

They who? Don't what? Don't like what? Give up the lame attempts at clever drive-by one liners, because it's clearly not your metier. Strive to draw SOME coherent line of conversational logic between your previous post, my response, and whatever rebuttal you're struggling to form into human language. Right now, you're just mumbling and scratching yourself, Captain Caveman.

Democrats shouldn't be allowed to choose justices.

Oh, I agree....without them dumb ass democrats on the bench, white girls and white boys would still be in segregated schools, women would be having babies that they don't want, white girls wouldn't be able to marry black men and on and on and on. So I agree
Republicans are the ones who freed the slaves and Republicans are the ones who fought for civil rights.
Democrats are the ones who tried to filibuster both.

Put it this way, if a republican freed the slaves, its because they owned a few and if any of these losers fought for civil rights, then they're indian givers, cause they show trying to take em back.

You do realize that the Republicans did fight the major civil rights battles...right...and the democrats used lynching, bombs, dogs, fire hoses and police batons to stop them...right?

southern democrats. and they're all republicans now so why do wingers keep bringing that up. lincoln is rolling over in his grave at what you'e done to his party.

Really? They're ALL Republicans now? Name them. Fucking name the racist southern Democrats who became Republicans. Do it, or go sit back in your corner and let the people with 3-digit IQs talk.

List them or admit you talked out of your ass . . . like always.

I believe there should not be lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court, I think there should be a mandatory retirement age, say 65 years old and you are out.

so you hate the constitution and want to upset the ability of the supreme court to check the actions of the executive and legislative branches which is their job.

Only a lefty could get that from that post.......Reality Dyslexia.....

Not even every leftist could have gotten it. THAT requires the extra-special ignorant twatism of Jillian.

I believe there should not be lifetime appointments to the Supreme Court, I think there should be a mandatory retirement age, say 65 years old and you are out.
FDR suggested the same thing and got sternly rebuffed by congress and the people.

Depends on what the political motives are.

Did you know you make no frigging sense, or do I get the honor of being the first to give you that ice-water-in-the-face dose of reality?

They who? Don't what? Don't like what? Give up the lame attempts at clever drive-by one liners, because it's clearly not your metier. Strive to draw SOME coherent line of conversational logic between your previous post, my response, and whatever rebuttal you're struggling to form into human language. Right now, you're just mumbling and scratching yourself, Captain Caveman.

The Supreme Court. Alzheimer much?

Oh, I agree....without them dumb ass democrats on the bench, white girls and white boys would still be in segregated schools, women would be having babies that they don't want, white girls wouldn't be able to marry black men and on and on and on. So I agree
Republicans are the ones who freed the slaves and Republicans are the ones who fought for civil rights.

Put it this way, if a republican freed the slaves, its because they owned a few and if any of these losers fought for civil rights, then they're indian givers, cause they show trying to take em back.

You do realize that the Republicans did fight the major civil rights battles...right...and the democrats used lynching, bombs, dogs, fire hoses and police batons to stop them...right?

southern democrats. and they're all republicans now so why do wingers keep bringing that up. lincoln is rolling over in his grave at what you'e done to his party.

Wrong...the racists stayed democrats...the non racists stopped being democrats....bill clinton's best freind and political mentor..stayed a democrat...and was a racist, j. william fulbright......obama.....jeremiah wright stayed a democrat and is a rabid racist....as is obama.......

And please let's not forget Robert Byrd.

Only possible explanation for talking to you as though you're a human being. Won't make that mistake again. Ta. :fu:

You just got caught with your head up your ass again. It's a pretty regular occurrence for you.

Really? They're ALL Republicans now? Name them. Fucking name the racist southern Democrats who became Republicans. Do it, or go sit back in your corner and let the people with 3-digit IQs talk.

that was more than 40 years ago, cesspit. the bigoted kkk dems are all republican since the passage of the civil rights laws.

now be quiet, freak. you must have someone to chain up waiting for you.

Wrong...the racists stayed democrats...the non racists stopped being democrats....bill clinton's best freind and political mentor..stayed a democrat...and was a racist, j. william fulbright......obama.....jeremiah wright stayed a democrat and is a rabid racist....as is obama.......

And please let's not forget Robert Byrd.

Only possible explanation for talking to you as though you're a human being. Won't make that mistake again. Ta. :fu:

the problem, cesspit, is *you* can't be treated like a human being.

that was more than 40 years ago, cesspit. the bigoted kkk dems are all republican since the passage of the civil rights laws.

Robert Byyrd, Al Gore, etc. They stayed Democrats unto their deaths.

Democrats shouldn't be allowed to choose justices.

Yeah, well welcome to the last 50 years.

I tend to agree with you. I'd set a mandatory retirement age a bit higher though - maybe 75. Most folks are still mentally sharp at that age. A lot of the justices are pushing 80 or older. You don't want people with dementia or Altzheimer's deciding laws. That retirement age shold probably apply to politicians as well. At some point you have to step aside and let the next generation take over.

Have term limits improved the quality of Presidents?

Should we cut Presidents and Congresspersons off at 65?

The purpose of lifetime appointment was to prevent politics from influencing decisions. Presidents and Congress have made appointing Justices too political.

Congress doesn't vote for Supreme Judges, only the senate.

It's funny how "They all are" doesn't sound or look anything like a list. It's almost like you CAN'T list them, because you made a vague, bullshit claim, got called on it, and are now trying to run and hide behind personal attacks. And by the way, I am - as always - laughing and your hypocritical intolerance, twat.

Meanwhile, let me say it again: You want to accuse Republicans of being the home of racist former Democrats? Prove it. List them. "All of them, now shut up" is the same as "None of them, I'm just big chickenshit liar".

Let's see if you can even produce a post that's not all about your personal shame at fapping to thoughts of my sex life, let alone that contains actual facts.

Forum List

Back