Should the US infrastructure upgrades include "green nuclear powerpants"?

Do you support building more nuclear powerplants to replace aging units and reduce CO2 emitted?

• Yes, nuclear power is proven to be reliable and "green"

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No, nuclear power is still too risky

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA
Vogtle Electric Generating Plant - Wikipedia

If the US wants to reduce emissions, one way is to go back to building "green" nuclear power plants. The current fleet averages 38 years old, which already exceeds their expected life.

U.S. nuclear industry - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
What is the status of the U.S. nuclear industry?
Electricity generation from commercial nuclear power plants in the United States began in 1958. As of the end of December 2018, the United States had 98 operating commercial nuclear reactors at 60 nuclear power plants in 30 states. The average age of these nuclear reactors is about 38 years old. The oldest operating reactor, Nine Mile Point Unit 1 in New York, began commercial operation in December 1969. The newest reactor to enter service, Watts Bar Unit 2, came online in 2016—the first reactor to come online since 1996 when the Watts Bar Unit 1 came online. Nineteen shut down commercial power reactors at 17 sites are in various stages of decommissioning.

Although seven nuclear reactors have been shut down since 2013, total nuclear electricity generation capacity at the end of 2018 was about the same as total capacity in 2003, when the United States had 104 operating reactors. Power plant uprates—modifications to increase capacity—at nuclear power plants have made it possible for the entire operating nuclear reactor fleet to maintain a relatively consistent total electricity generation capacity. These uprates, combined with high capacity utilization rates (or capacity factors), have helped nuclear power plants maintain a consistent share of about 20% of total annual U.S. electricity generation since 1990. Some reactors have also increased annual electricity generation by shortening the length of time reactors are offline for refueling.

220px-Electricity_Generation_Sources_for_the_United_States.svg.png

Coal power in the United States - Wikipedia

Coal generates about 30% of US power and gas about 34%, both emit CO2.

Would you support investing in more nuclear power as part of US infrastructure upgrades?
i make a motion to put fission nuclear underground and is an additional reason to upgrade infrastructure.

Why would you want to put it underground?
...so any "meltdown is contained."

Would you support investing in more nuclear power as part of US infrastructure upgrades?
I'll support getting government out of the way to allow private companies to invest in building as many nuclear power plants as the market will bear.
That's a bad idea. Private companies have a profit motive to cut corners. We saw how that worked out at TMI.

What's the alternative? let the incompetent, corrupt morons in government build and run them?

I trust private industry FAR more than I trust government because of the profit motive, government's motives are much less transparent and much more sinister.
Utilities finance the design and construction with review and licensing by the NRC. (not the US government)
Then the utilities operate them, again always under the observed/reviewed licensing requirements of the NRC.
If the utility screws-up, the plant is shutdown until its safe to operate.

Oversight is fine, it's one of the few things government or government created entities (like the NRC) can do reasonably well, as long as it isn't so onerous that it prevents getting plants built either through impossible licensing requirements or exorbitant regulatory burden costs.

300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

If the US wants to reduce emissions, one way is to go back to building "green" nuclear power plants. The current fleet averages 38 years old, which already exceeds their expected life.

Electricity generation from commercial nuclear power plants in the United States began in 1958. As of the end of December 2018, the United States had 98 operating commercial nuclear reactors at 60 nuclear power plants in 30 states. The average age of these nuclear reactors is about 38 years old. The oldest operating reactor, Nine Mile Point Unit 1 in New York, began commercial operation in December 1969. The newest reactor to enter service, Watts Bar Unit 2, came online in 2016—the first reactor to come online since 1996 when the Watts Bar Unit 1 came online. Nineteen shut down commercial power reactors at 17 sites are in various stages of decommissioning.

Although seven nuclear reactors have been shut down since 2013, total nuclear electricity generation capacity at the end of 2018 was about the same as total capacity in 2003, when the United States had 104 operating reactors. Power plant uprates—modifications to increase capacity—at nuclear power plants have made it possible for the entire operating nuclear reactor fleet to maintain a relatively consistent total electricity generation capacity. These uprates, combined with high capacity utilization rates (or capacity factors), have helped nuclear power plants maintain a consistent share of about 20% of total annual U.S. electricity generation since 1990. Some reactors have also increased annual electricity generation by shortening the length of time reactors are offline for refueling.

i make a motion to put fission nuclear underground and is an additional reason to upgrade infrastructure.

Isn't one of the biggest risks in a meltdown that an overheating core will melt through the containment vessel and down into the ground water table? Seems to me putting it underground just moves the core closer to the ground water table.

I guess it *could* help mitigate the risks associated with the steam explosion and release but it seems to me that you'd have to put it WAY underground since from what I understand the potential explosive force of a core hitting ground water is measured in megatons. :dunno:

Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

There is no containing a "meltdown" without a well designed containment system.
In the ground the hot core would hit groundwater and spew deadly steam.

In the US there are safety systems designed to "kill" the meltdown before it gets thru the containment system. Its a very complex subject.

Like they wouldn't have boron near a nuclear reactor. I'm a PWR man myself, but... | Hacker News

300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

I'm not gonna cast a vote because you didn't give a viable option. Nuclear power is fine with me as long as it's not built by a corner/cost cutting "lowest bidder" construction company and not managed by corrupt American energy companies who will scrimp on safety for an extra few dollars.

300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

I'm not gonna cast a vote because you didn't give a viable option. Nuclear power is fine with me as long as it's not built by a corner/cost cutting "lowest bidder" construction company and not managed by corrupt American energy companies who will scrimp on safety for an extra few dollars.

Totally understand. Is addressing climate change worth the added risk?
The cure (more nuclear) might be worse than the disease?

I voted yes, but only if French or German companies build and manage the plants; American companies are too corrupt and inept to be trusted with such important projects. We can let them build tool sheds or fences or something, maybe.

Germany shut down their nuke plants after Fukishima.
France has a lot, but so does the US.
In the US the utilities run the nuke plants.

Be that as it may, they've all had far less problems with theirs than we have with ours, and a big reason for that is their high quality of engineering and quality controls during the building. Their politics shut htem down.

No one is going to change the US laws regarding nuclear power design, construction, or operation, so you might want to change your vote?

. Laws can be changed, so can operators. Brown and Root, GE, and others have crap construction records and practices compared to German and French firms in this field. But yes, if they go with crappy corrupt American contractors, which are all of them, and their criminal illegal alien work forces I would change my vote.

300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

Totally understand. Is addressing climate change worth the added risk?
The cure (more nuclear) might be worse than the disease?

Well, last I checked, all the other sources aren't going to fill the gap, except more coal plants; coal plant operation is still about 40% of global energy production, right where it was back in the early 2000's before all the noise over solar and wind farming.

I voted yes, but only if French or German companies build and manage the plants; American companies are too corrupt and inept to be trusted with such important projects. We can let them build tool sheds or fences or something, maybe.

Germany shut down their nuke plants after Fukishima.
France has a lot, but so does the US.
In the US the utilities run the nuke plants.

Be that as it may, they've all had far less problems with theirs than we have with ours, and a big reason for that is their high quality of engineering and quality controls during the building. Their politics shut htem down.

No one is going to change the US laws regarding nuclear power design, construction, or operation, so you might want to change your vote?

. Laws can be changed, so can operators. Brown and Root, GE, and others have crap construction records and practices compared to German and French firms in this field. But yes, if they go with crappy corrupt American contractors, which are all of them, and their criminal illegal alien work forces I would change my vote.
I'd put Fluor & Bechtel against any Euro design or construction firms.
Besides, here in the US we don't do metric, the Euros would go nuts trying to use the US standard sizes for everything, as well as the units for licensing calculations. The Euro firms won't break into the US nuclear market.

p.s. GE doesn't do construction, they fabricate the BWR reactor and other critical BWR components, like the turbines.
Westinghouse is the PWR reactor fabricator, but they went bankrupt in 2017.

Your kidding, power plants! when we are not spending any real money on desperately needed infrastructure.

I'll support getting government out of the way to allow private companies to invest in building as many nuclear power plants as the market will bear.

My son is a nuclear power plant design engineer and his company is privately owned. The industry is one of the most regulated enterprises in the world. Skeptics here shouldn't be concerned about shoddy work or cost cutting. Their quality control is top grade.

Last edited:
300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

Powerpants, huh? Sounds.....er......interesting.

300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

I'll vote for power pants anyday.
lol you might want to fix your title while there's still time, kyzr.

Time for Emily Litella

What is all this fuss I hear about "powerpants" ? It's terrible! People don't have enough pants!
"That's power plants, Ms. Litella, "Oh, that's very different," "Never mind!"

That's a bad idea. Private companies have a profit motive to cut corners. We saw how that worked out at TMI.

Prove it! Because The reasons behind this malfunction are still unknown.
Causes and Effects of the Three Mile Island Nuclear Disaster
So where is your PROOF that "cutting corners" was the fault? Are you a nuclear engineer expert?

Your kidding, power plants! when we are not spending any real money on desperately needed infrastructure.

1. It's "you're" kidding (not "your")
2. Clean electric power IS desperately needed infrastructure, especially if you want to reduce coal fired power plants.
3. Roads and bridges are state infrastructure funded by gas taxes. If the states rob that money tough on the drivers, vote for better pols.
4. New Airports, New Air Traffic Control Systems, New Smart Electric Grid, New Nuclear Powerplants, subsidize electric cars, new/upgraded urban public transportation systems, an the projects in the link below

https://www.treasury.gov/connect/blog/Documents/final-infrastructure-report.pdf

What "desperately needed infrastructure" are you calling for? Please do NOT put forth projects that states should be funding with gas taxes.

France encloses spent uranium in glass blocks and stores them in salt mines. No leakage.

So where is your PROOF that "cutting corners" was the fault? Are you a nuclear engineer expert?

If you read these two explanations of the accident you will see that certain systems did not function as designed. Why was that? Who screwed up? These are critical "safety related" systems that are supposed to be guaranteed to work.
https://www.history.com/topics/1970s/three-mile-island
NRC: Backgrounder on the Three Mile Island Accident

300px-Vogtle_NPP.jpg
Vogtle Units 1 & 2, GA

Isn't one of the biggest risks in a meltdown that an overheating core will melt through the containment vessel and down into the ground water table? Seems to me putting it underground just moves the core closer to the ground water table.

I guess it *could* help mitigate the risks associated with the steam explosion and release but it seems to me that you'd have to put it WAY underground since from what I understand the potential explosive force of a core hitting ground water is measured in megatons. :dunno:
i was thinking that "core could melt to the core of the Earth in the case of meltdown and be recycled."

I think France gets 80% of its energy from nuclear. We should too

Its the Leftwing freaks who always block building those plants

If you read these two explanations of the accident you will see that certain systems did not function as designed. Why was that? Who screwed up? These are critical "safety related" systems that are supposed to be guaranteed to work.
https://www.history.com/topics/1970s/three-mile-island
NRC: Backgrounder on the Three Mile Island Accident

But where is your proof that "cutting corners" was the fault? Was there any actual legal actions brought against those evil for profit companies?
Now this web site: Legal History of Three Mile Island explains in great detail TMI lawsuits,etc.
The point I'm making though is once again those evil profit making companies are at fault...according to anti-capitalists mentalities you exhibit.
In the meantime.. trillions of gigawatts of power has been generated by nuclear plants OPERATED by for profit utilities. But of course really dumb
people like you take those RARE, totally infrequent events as the RULE rather than the exceptions. I'm really tired of people like you taking an isolated,
RARE situation and making it sound like an evil for profit plot! How truly naive...stupid!

Forum List

Back