Should the US President be a Role Model?

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
... this is a question that came up in my family during the Clinton scandal.
The argument is that he should have kept his pecker in his pants for 8 years because he wound up being a bad role model due to his indiscretion.

Is it a responsibility for the US President to be a good "role model"?

If so, what are the "requirements" for being a good "role model"?

The argument is that he should have kept his pecker in his pants for 8 years because he wound up being a bad role model due to his indiscretion.

No more or no less than anyone else.

Why would anyone want to give their vote (support) to anyone who was not a good role model?

Those requirements of what a good role model is are going to vary depending on individual expectations.

I didn't think so until the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse in Iraq was exposed. I had no use for GW Bush but those actions by our troops I laid at the feet of the prior commander-and-chief (Clinton) and the example he set.

Last edited:
A role model? Maybe, but I don't think that's anything we'll ever get. Ain't really a more scummy type person than a professional politician. Liars and cheats, one and all. Pick your poison.

B Lead:
Clinton is precisely the example I thought of when I read the subject line.

U.S. President Clinton was an above average president. The U.S. prospered in peace under his leadership.
But he's a deplorable role model.

But I'd rather have a President Bill Clinton than a President George Bush (younger).

Clinton didn't kill as many of us off as Bush did.

c5725774c467b13b9b8771277ae74b7774e6098.JPG

BTW, which transgression is worse?
Playing doctor with a consenting adult intern?
Or marching thousands of our finest to their deaths, for the purpose of destabilizing the Middle East for generations?

I'll take Clinton's deviance over Bush's deviance any day!

A role model? Maybe, but I don't think that's anything we'll ever get. Ain't really a more scummy type person than a professional politician. Liars and cheats, one and all. Pick your poison.
How low do you think the voting population is willing to go?

Good to know you'll never be running for office.

The definition of role model is not limited to mere behavior.

It is also refers to success and yes, Bill Clinton was a good role model of someone who had been successful in his chosen career and risen to the very top. Certainly he was a far better role model in that regard than his feckless successor. So it was Bush jr who is the bad role model in that respect and Clinton who is the good role model.

Same applies to sports stars and rock stars. They excel at what they do and are role models for those who want to follow in their footsteps but their private lives are far from stellar.

So if you want a good morality role model then look at Pope Francis instead.

They should, inasmuch as young people should know that politicians are not special, that they have strengths and weaknesses like anyone else, that their words can only be taken as part of a larger context, and that they lie like anyone else.

It is also refers to success and yes, Bill Clinton was a good role model of someone who had been successful in his chosen career and risen to the very top. Certainly he was a far better role model in that regard than his feckless successor. So it was Bush jr who is the bad role model in that respect and Clinton who is the good role model.

Same applies to sports stars and rock stars. They excel at what they do and are role models for those who want to follow in their footsteps but their private lives are far from stellar.

So would you say that it would be ok for a President to be an adulterer etc. as long as he did a good job running the country?
Do you think parents are the only role models kids should have to look to for behavioral cues?
Is anyone responsible to be a good role model for behavior?

So would you say that it would be ok for a President to be an adulterer etc. as long as he did a good job running the country?
Do you think parents are the only role models kids should have to look to for behavioral cues?

How many parents are adulterers, etc? Does that make them bad parents?

How about their teachers? How many of them screw around? Does that make them bad teachers?

Setting unrealistic expectations means setting yourself up for failure.

No, I don't believe in "role models" because people are people and they will have flaws and failings.

Stick to reality and honesty and ignore the "role model" hogwash.

How about their teachers? How many of them screw around? Does that make them bad teachers?

No, I don't believe in "role models" because people are people and they will have flaws and failings.

are you saying most people cheat on their spouses?
Do you? Do you think it's OK to?

are you saying most people cheat on their spouses?
Do you? Do you think it's OK to?

Why don't you research the statistics for yourself?

The reality is what matters and if you are looking for role models then you need to take reality into account otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure.

Or to put it in the most basic terms, the math doesn't lie so if you want to deal with the truth and facts then stick with the math.

Why don't you research the statistics for yourself?

which part of lazy about myself didn't you understand....?
But if you ask me to research something for you, I'm on it.
Is that a character flaw?

Yes.

Yes.

I agree.
The leader of our nation should do good by the people and represent good standards.

Yes.

I agree.
The leader of our nation should do good by the people and represent good standards.

JakeStarkey is that you?

Yes .but kids will form they're own behavior and should have exposure to many different experiences.

Forum List

Back