Should we encourage this in our youth?

9-year-old boy swims to Alcatraz and back, breaking record

AN FRANCISCO (AP) — A 9-year-old Central California boy braved strong currents and cold water to swim from San Francisco to Alcatraz Island and back.

KSEE-TV in Fresno reported Tuesday (Los Banos Boy Completes Alcatraz Swimming Feat ) that James Savage set a record as the youngest swimmer to make the journey to the former prison.

The station reports that by completing the swim, the fourth-grader from Los Banos breaks a record previously held by a 10-year-old boy.

James says that waves in the San Francisco Bay hitting him in the face 30 minutes into his swim made him want to give up.

His father says he had offered his son $100 as a reward; to encourage his struggling son, his father doubled it to $200.

James pushed forward, making it to Alcatraz and back in a little more than two hours. Alcatraz is over a mile from the mainland.

seems a bit young to me......especially after the boy was struggling....

He had his coach swimming by his side, and his mother following in a lifeboat.

If this is pressured from a stage mom, no, I would not encourage that kind of exploitation.

I think this was sincerely the boy's wish, and about 50/50 on the pressure from inside and out.
That's going to happen in life anyway, and 9 is young,
but as long as they are SAFE I don't mind.
But any sharks, or pushing the guy too far, and I'd say NO to that.

I think this was within reason but at the far limits.
Any more riskier than this, and I would have said no.
I would have hesitated if it were my kid, but if it is set up right, I trust that.
It's when people don't listen, don't take precautions and push too far that gets in trouble.
Like the 16 year old sailing around the world "by herself" -- that was too much!

That kid was swimming in open water in the bay???

That should be child abuse.

Child abuse is when they allow the child to chop his penis!

OK?

To let him swim is not child abuse.

do you think it is child abuse to let parents pierce their kids ears?

Nope.

but circumcision is?

no one warned them of sharks in the water????

He had done that before. He was interviewed in a video,
and talked about swimming with sharks.
And he had adults he trusted in the water with him.
I would have had a lot more than THAT if I was going
to approve such a stunt. But if these adults take full
legal responsibility I would trust them to set this up right, including
consulting experts, like they do with movie stunts to ensure it is safe.

If there were any experts who advised them against how they managed this,
if they said it wasn't safe enough, I would listen to their objections.

He should be punished for trying to achieve more than the other kids. It's not fair and it's going to hurt their feelings when they don't receive the recognition he does.

This motherfucker has mastered the Trump hairdoo

d8ec4071417e417facca4a52b57a3381_4.jpg

And bless him..that child....he is not a liberal Lily of the fucking Valley

but you

you are a moron

AN FRANCISCO (AP) — A 9-year-old Central California boy braved strong currents and cold water to swim from San Francisco to Alcatraz Island and back.

KSEE-TV in Fresno reported Tuesday (Los Banos Boy Completes Alcatraz Swimming Feat ) that James Savage set a record as the youngest swimmer to make the journey to the former prison.

The station reports that by completing the swim, the fourth-grader from Los Banos breaks a record previously held by a 10-year-old boy.

James says that waves in the San Francisco Bay hitting him in the face 30 minutes into his swim made him want to give up.

His father says he had offered his son $100 as a reward; to encourage his struggling son, his father doubled it to $200.

James pushed forward, making it to Alcatraz and back in a little more than two hours. Alcatraz is over a mile from the mainland.

Well he did it, but not sure under what circumstances in total did he do it or was pushed to do it, so it's hard to say really.

If they were really there with the boy, good. Congrats to him on his accomplishment if it really meant enough to him the way that it should have meant to him.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To answer the asked question, if you are going to encourage a child to do anything, you better make them well aware first of whatever risks there may be when accepting the challenges.

If this is pressured from a stage mom, no, I would not encourage that kind of exploitation.

I think this was sincerely the boy's wish, and about 50/50 on the pressure from inside and out.
That's going to happen in life anyway, and 9 is young,
but as long as they are SAFE I don't mind.
But any sharks, or pushing the guy too far, and I'd say NO to that.

I think this was within reason but at the far limits.
Any more riskier than this, and I would have said no.
I would have hesitated if it were my kid, but if it is set up right, I trust that.
It's when people don't listen, don't take precautions and push too far that gets in trouble.
Like the 16 year old sailing around the world "by herself" -- that was too much!

That kid was swimming in open water in the bay???

That should be child abuse.

Child abuse is when they allow the child to chop his penis!

OK?

To let him swim is not child abuse.

You never seen escaped from Alcatraz? Or all those PBS shows on it?

I wouldn't swim in that bay.

Forum List

Back