‘Showboating’ South Carolina father killed after lit firework he placed on his head explodes

horselightning

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2013
That sounds about right for South Carolina. I'm surprised it was only one person...

I have done many things with fireworks, I've launched bottle rockets out of my butt crack, I've launched mortar shells holding the launcher in my hand, I've even put fountains on my head and lit them. I can't imagine what kind of firework he was using that would cause that kind of damage. Also, where can I get some?

who in the world was this dude thinking? i'm sorry he died. but this is one of the most unintelligent things you can ever do. oh my. i'm sorry his family has to go through this.
That's insane. At least his children will NEVER do that stunt. They will live with that nightmare he created forever. What an idiot.

I read this morning that the firework was what they called a mortar style. It was supposed to shoot up out of the tube, but blew up instead. It's sad. I also read where a boy blew off four fingers from one hand. Digit loss is pretty common every year, but not death from blowing your head off.

I read this morning that the firework was what they called a mortar style. It was supposed to shoot up out of the tube, but blew up instead. It's sad. I also read where a boy blew off four fingers from one hand. Digit loss is pretty common every year, but not death from blowing your head off.

I've never had a mortar blow while still in the tube. I've seen them have a short launch though. I had one one time that only went up five feet and then exploded. It was intense.

I have done many things with fireworks, I've launched bottle rockets out of my butt crack, I've launched mortar shells holding the launcher in my hand, I've even put fountains on my head and lit them. I can't imagine what kind of firework he was using that would cause that kind of damage. Also, where can I get some?
If you were holding the mortar launcher that he had, you'd have one less hand now. I wonder if there will be a law suit against the manufacturer. Probably not. They all say to place on the ground, light fuse, and get away.

My one brother lives in Summerville, but this isn't him. I'll get 411 on what went down.

Summerville is a very patriotic town

That's insane. At least his children will NEVER do that stunt. They will live with that nightmare he created forever. What an idiot.

Like I said, that sounds about right for South Carolina.

I've never had a mortar blow while still in the tube. I've seen them have a short launch though. I had one one time that only went up five feet and then exploded. It was intense.
And dangerous. I prefer to fly the flag and watch professionals do fireworks. I work nights , only part-time now ; I hate working the 4th. Of July because all of the old guys that were in the service freak out thinking they're being attacked. Fireworks shouldn't be allowed within hearing distance of nursing homes and hospitals period.

Like I said, that sounds about right for South Carolina.
If you said Florida I'd be more inclined to agree with you.I have relatives in South Carolina. Rednecks are everywhere , it's a state of mind not a state.

My one brother lives in Summerville, but this isn't him. I'll get 411 on what went down.

Summerville is a very patriotic town
It’s all pretty much there in the news article. What else do you think “went down”?

If you were holding the mortar launcher that he had, you'd have one less hand now. I wonder if there will be a law suit against the manufacturer. Probably not. They all say to place on the ground, light fuse, and get away.
Are you sure about that? I've read now two articles (including the one provided in the OP) trying to find out what he was using and have not been able to find out. I've shot off more mortar shells than I can count and have never seen one go off in the tube.

And dangerous. I prefer to fly the flag and watch professionals do fireworks. I work nights , only part-time now ; I hate working the 4th. Of July because all of the old guys that were in the service freak out thinking they're being attacked. Fireworks shouldn't be allowed within hearing distance of nursing homes and hospitals period.
Tell those old guys to keep quiet in the morning of the 5th, some of us who have been up all night shooting off fireworks are trying to sleep.

Trusting any fireworks is like trusting the switch on a plugged in circular saw (or table saw) while you change the blade. I used to catch guys doing that on my framing crew way back when. I'd tell them: "If I ever see you doing that again, you will be immediately fired. It takes two seconds to unplug the saw. The switch doesn't care about your fingers, but I do."

Are you sure about that? I've read now two articles (including the one provided in the OP) trying to find out what he was using and have not been able to find out. I've shot off more mortar shells than I can count and have never seen one go off in the tube.
You've at least heard about it now. What you do in the future is completely up to you.

Forum List

Back