So No One is Going to Talk About BitCoin Folding huh?

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
Seems like a libertarian dream until it all went to hell.

Every once in a while — most recently with the collapse of online exchange site Mt Gox — the world starts paying attention to Bitcoin, the hacker-project-cum-digital-currency that has garnered the love of a certain subset of people on the internet. Who are those people? According to an online poll from Simulacrum, the average user is a 32.1-year-old libertarian male. By users’ accounts, those men are mostly white.

Breaking that down, about 95 percent of Bitcoin users are men, about 61 percent say they’re not religious, and about 44 percent describe themselves as “libertarian / anarcho-capitalist.”

Now they are broke after Bitcoin folded. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Seems like they could've used some sort of protection.

Every once in a while — most recently with the collapse of online exchange site Mt Gox — the world starts paying attention to Bitcoin, the hacker-project-cum-digital-currency that has garnered the love of a certain subset of people on the internet. Who are those people? According to an online poll from Simulacrum, the average user is a 32.1-year-old libertarian male. By users’ accounts, those men are mostly white.

Breaking that down, about 95 percent of Bitcoin users are men, about 61 percent say they’re not religious, and about 44 percent describe themselves as “libertarian / anarcho-capitalist.”

Now they are broke after Bitcoin folded. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Seems like they could've used some sort of protection.

cause we all didn't know this was coming....

One of those online poker sites still has my cash frozen and probably gone forever. Live and learn, but we rarely do.

Sounds like a bitcoin dream...

businesses fail all the time....why do you care? IT has nothing to do with libertarians, even though your tiny little mind wants to desperately make a connection.

Who gives a fuck.. and no, the company does not need and should not get 'protection'.. and the company was not the only one dealing with bitcoin..

But hey.. your troll ass does not bother with truth, so why start now, right??

Last edited:
Yeah, it is. In all its anarchic glory And i made a fuckin' mint off it too. As an over 30 yr old, anarcho-capitalist white male.

Sucka.

You Obama-bots really shouldn't try and dump accountability on people... I mean really, do we want to go down the road of wasted money on useless programs under Obama?

I have never heard of this bitcoin crap as being a Libertarian anything... But I did hear about a progressive Obama policy of sum waster 877 billion dollars, at least Obama admitted it didn;t work, some of his fanbois still can't.

HAHAHA!!!

Well, maybe some "regulation" of the bitcoin industry would've prevented some of it.

But yeah, its hilarious when I see Libertarian fantasies go down in flames.

Funny how all those Libertarian idiots still live in a city in America, instead of just going to the Brazilian rainforest or Mexican badlands, where NO government would affect them at all, they'd be free to pretty much do what ever the hell they want.

Prevented some of what, genius? An exchange defaulted. There are business defaults all the time. If you wanna wield the fire wand you better read the manual cover to cover and reference it often. I made plenty of money on bitcoin. It's not folded. It's alive and well.

One of those online poker sites still has my cash frozen and probably gone forever. Live and learn, but we rarely do.

I just received my money back after 3 years frozen on FTP.

HAHAHA!!!

Well, maybe some "regulation" of the bitcoin industry would've prevented some of it.

But yeah, its hilarious when I see Libertarian fantasies go down in flames.

Funny how all those Libertarian idiots still live in a city in America, instead of just going to the Brazilian rainforest or Mexican badlands, where NO government would affect them at all, they'd be free to pretty much do what ever the hell they want.
Your the idiot - Libertarians are not for NO government. They are for a government that isn't bigger than what it needs to be - that still serves it's function. Big government oppresses. No one gives a shit about BitCoin - that's probably why they don't want to talk about it.

I believe bitcoin is completely alive and well sirs and maam

Yeah. Prices are still stable. Reports of its death may have been exaggerated. In any case, I find it more interesting who wants it to fail, and why.

Sounds like a bitcoin dream...

businesses fail all the time....why do you care? IT has nothing to do with libertarians, even though your tiny little mind wants to desperately make a connection.

Thanks for adding so much to the convo

Who gives a fuck.. and no, the company does not need and should not get 'protection'.. and the company was not the only one dealing with bitcoin..

But hey.. your troll ass does not bother with truth, so why start now, right??

Who gives a fuck you say? Do you always pay attention to things you care nothing about? Why start now?

If chase bank got broken into, and a crapload of money was stolen, would that mean the dollar "folded"? No, it would just mean that you need better banks.

Given that bitcoins have been around for about 8 years, I would expect some hiccups like this to occur as people figure out better and better ways to protect the currency in a storage setting.

Yeah, because libertarians are ALL ABOUT bullshit currency.

Imbecile.

Yeah, because libertarians are ALL ABOUT bullshit currency.

Imbecile.

Good point

I don't own any bitcoin, however I think it's a neat idea. It's a currency just like our dollar that people (seem) to give some value, so if individuals want to trade it what's the problem exactly? Why knock it? That's all currency is - a store of value. There's absolutely nothing backing the dollar anymore except a government that has about $17 trillion of debt sitting on its shoulder.

Also, consider this - Bitcoin can be transferred user to user instantly w/no third party, whereas you must use an institution like Chase bank to transfer a dollar to your family in India - for example. The going rate is about 30% to transfer money internationally, so imagine the difference of someone being able to send that full $10,000 vs the shaved $7,000.

Again, it's kinda cool; why knock it?

Last edited:
I don't own any bitcoin, however I think it's a neat idea. It's a currency just like our dollar that people (seem) to give some value, so if individuals want to trade it what's the problem exactly? Why knock it? That's all currency is - a store of value. There's absolutely nothing backing the dollar anymore except a government that has about $17 trillion of debt sitting on its shoulder.

Also, consider this. Bitcoin can be transferred user to user instantly (no third party), whereas you must use an institution like Chase bank to transfer a dollar to your family in India - for instance. The going rate (fee) is about 30% to transfer money internationally, so these banks skim a large chunk of change from individuals sending money back home. If bitcoin were to take off (and people in India could use it to buy food, ect) the transfer rate would be $0, and you'd be able to send the FULL amount of value you earned back home.

Again, why knock it?

My wife and I can send over $2500 to her family in the Philippines for $7.

I'd prefer to have money with real value to change hands.

I'd also prefer if we rolled back from fiat currency and had money backed by something of tangible value. Not just gold, but something real and not just electronic bytes.

Forum List

Back