So Surreal

Status
Not open for further replies.
sparrek-1.jpg

Any pictures of space are definitely surreal! This one is called the Ring Nebula, taken by the Hubble telescope. Of course, the colors are added later I believe, but they still look really cool. :smile:

files.php

No, the colors are there. This is one I took from my backyard.

nxMsA4E.jpg

Cool! I thought I had read somewhere that they added the colors in afterwards.

Sorta. Hubble uses black and white sensors at different wavelengths. Some images (like the one you posted of the Ring Nebula) end up being pretty close to true color because the wavelengths gathered are close to our eyes' perception of red, green, and blue. Other images are combined and different colors represent data that our eyes cannot even see.

HubbleSite - Behind the Pictures - Meaning of Color

Any pictures of space are definitely surreal! This one is called the Ring Nebula, taken by the Hubble telescope. Of course, the colors are added later I believe, but they still look really cool. :smile:

files.php

No, the colors are there. This is one I took from my backyard.

nxMsA4E.jpg

Cool! I thought I had read somewhere that they added the colors in afterwards.

Sorta. Hubble uses black and white sensors at different wavelengths. Some images (like the one you posted of the Ring Nebula) end up being pretty close to true color because the wavelengths gathered are close to our eyes' perception of red, green, and blue. Other images are combined and different colors represent data that our eyes cannot even see.

HubbleSite - Behind the Pictures - Meaning of Color

Interesting! Well either way, the pictures are still incredible IMO!

Here's one that looks like a butterfly.

NGC_6302_Hubble_2009.full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back