So tired of the ridiculous obsession people have when celebrities or well known people die.

Acknowledging someone's accomplishments in life is fine and perfectly normal. Wall to Wall coverage for days or weeks is a ridiculous obsession.
When your uncle dies, not one of us is going to care, but when Tom Cruise dies we will all be bummed. We like Toms movies. We will miss his work.

Acknowledging someone's accomplishments in life is fine and perfectly normal. Wall to Wall coverage for days or weeks is a ridiculous obsession.
More disturbing than that, is the attention famous stars are paid, while living, commenting on things we have no reason to believe they have a particular clue about, as if a movie stars and singers are particular deep intellectual people, that their opinions have important meaning on subjects they never studied, but cause freaks rally round when they speak. I have never understood it.

When your uncle dies, not one of us is going to care, but when Tom Cruise dies we will all be bummed. We like Toms movies. We will miss his work.
Silly perspective but whatever lol.

The pope presided over a cabal of child molesters and Barbara Walter's presided over a biased media conglomerate.

Nothing to miss but we'll talk about them endlessly. Well, I won't but their loony fans will

More disturbing than that, is the attention famous stars are paid, while living, commenting on things we have no reason to believe they have a particular clue about, as if a movie stars and singers are particular deep intellectual people, that their opinions have important meaning on subjects they never studied, but cause freaks rally round when they speak. I have never understood it.

Which is why I have always been mildly disturbed by anybodys obsession with celebrities after they are no longer teenagers. Enjoy their work? Yes. Enjoy their skills? Yes.

Obsess over them because they exist? No.

As I've posted before, actors should act, singers should sing, athletes should play and otherwise stfu about "issues" of the day.

I only care about an actors death when I like their stance on subjects that are important to Americans.
John Wayne was the last one I actually cared about,Clint Eastwood will be the next.
Other than that I couldnt care less.

that their opinions have important meaning on subjects they never studied, but cause freaks rally round when they speak.
I've made it my policy to refrain from watching their movies when they get mouthy in public. I used to LOVE Samuel L Jackson until he showed how much of a racist he is. Rabid Left wing types who make a habit of using their microphone EVERY TIME they stand behind one to sell their opinions of politicians they consider to be a close friend of Satan himself. DeNiro pops to mind. Idiot boy Jim Carrey is another one and I used to buy every Stephen King book that was published and still love his older work but I wouldn't piss on him to put him out if he was on fire. Dude is a hater on steroids.

A lot of People are titillated by celebrities.
But they bore me to death.
the Royals
the Kartrashians
the Pop Stars
the talentless actors

Which is why I have always been mildly disturbed by anybodys obsession with celebrities after they are no longer teenagers. Enjoy their work? Yes. Enjoy their skills? Yes.

Obsess over them because they exist? No.
you obsess over trump....how are you any different?....

I've made it my policy to refrain from watching their movies when they get mouthy in public. I used to LOVE Samuel L Jackson until he showed how much of a racist he is. Rabid Left wing types who make a habit of using their microphone EVERY TIME they stand behind one to sell their opinions of politicians they consider to be a close friend of Satan himself. DeNiro pops to mind. Idiot boy Jim Carrey is another one and I used to buy every Stephen King book that was published and still love his older work but I wouldn't piss on him to put him out if he was on fire. Dude is a hater on steroids.
I rarely pay them any mind, when they aren't on the stage or screen, doing something I paid and/or made time to watch. The news talking heads seem to like it though. I don't pay them much attention either, unless actually report, rather than rendering their personal opinion.

Only in a way can I agree with you. When it is someone that you have no interest in who is constantly talked about, in my opinion, that is when you are ready for another subject to finally be focused on.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Sadly, because my late favorites were never all that huge in the grand scheme to begin with, I have no memory of their departures ever once being over acknowledged.

Northern Calloway (David of the Sesame Street children' show)
Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys
Billy Joe Royal
Hal Ketchum
Joe Diffie (Had he not been an early victim of the Covid sickness, I highly doubt that his passing would've gotten the attention that it received.)

Forum List

Back