so... what is Juneteenth, actually? LOL but seriously, I don't really know... sounds woke-ish

nomadic5

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2022
It's kind of an annoying word, don't you think?

anyhow... if one of you conservatives could explain this... I heard something some time ago but have kind of forgotten...

Sorry... but We always tend to forget what we do not find important...

I don't mind it. Celebration of liberty and emancipation is a good thing. "Juneteenth" is better as a state holiday (since that's where the proclamation occurred) rather than federal, but whatever, celebration of it spread beyond Texas many years ago.

There are other contenders for celebration of emancipation such as...

* Sept. 22: the day Lincoln issued his preliminary Emancipation Proclamation Order in 1862

* Jan. 1: the day it took effect in 1863

* Jan. 31: the date the 13th Amendment passed Congress in 1865, officially abolishing the institution of slavery

* Dec. 6: the day the 13th Amendment was ratified that year

* April 3: the day Richmond, Va., fell

* April 9: the day Lee surrendered to Ulysses Grant at Appomattox, Va.

* April 16: the day slavery was abolished in the nation’s capital in 1862

Last edited:
Happy Juneteeth!
RZHYD5WHSO6KKCWYJALEL2ZACY.jpg

anyhow... if one of you conservatives could explain this... I heard something some time ago but have kind of forgotten...

It was discovered that black families are 70% without fathers in the home, so they needed a replacement holiday to replace Fathers day and they got one.

“The people of Texas are informed that, in accordance with a proclamation from the Executive of the United States, all slaves are free. This involves an absolute equality of personal rights and rights of property between former masters and slaves, and the connection heretofore existing between them becomes that between employer and hired labor. The freedmen are advised to remain quietly at their present homes and work for wages. They are informed that they will not be allowed to collect at military posts and that they will not be supported in idleness either there or elsewhere.”General Orders, Number 3; Headquarters District of Texas, Galveston, June 19, 1865

"ignorance = lack of knowledge - being unaware of information

The Smithsonian has the info:

"Juneteenth marks our country’s second independence day. Although it has long celebrated in the African American community, this monumental event remains largely unknown to most Americans."

"The historical legacy of Juneteenth shows the value of never giving up hope in uncertain times. The National Museum of African American History and Culture is a community space where this spirit of hope lives on. A place where historical events like Juneteenth are shared and new stories with equal urgency are told."

It was discovered that black families are 70% without fathers in the home, so they needed a replacement holiday to replace Fathers day and they got one.

I see such signs as Black History (this or that)

I mean, what if a White person put up a notice at , say, a library, about some coming event about

White History...

:eek::eek::eek:

massive pearl clutching would ensue!

RACISM! RACISM!

and it would be true...

but Blacks are allowed to be racist

Forum List

Back