So, why budget deficits and national debt?

Can you explain government debt?

I'll take a shot at it, not saying I'm 100% right but this is what I think. There are 2 basic kinds of debt, public and private. Private debt is what I borrow to buy a car, house, medical bills, food, clothing, etc. I can save it, spend it, or invest it, but whatever I spend over and above my income is debt and has nothing whatsoever to do with public debt. It's the same with private businesses, they can go into debt to expand or change their business but that also has nothing to do with gov't debt.

Gov't or public debt is how much the gov't spends at every level over and above their revenue. It ain't the same thing.

We have a huge trade surplus with Panama, so keep buying rum, no problem.

The balance of trade is an aggregate number (probably estimated) that has absolutely nothing to do with our national debt and deficits. If as a society we import more than we export to any given country, the gov't does not make up the difference and it does not pay interest at all on any debt that exists.

Max Kaiser, a well-known financier and crypto-investor: "The 300-year-old global financial system, which in the last 30 years has completely degenerated into a Ponzi scheme, is on its last breath. The owners of this fortress, in fact a sand castle, are increasingly panicking, wreaking blood and chaos in the world"

Max Kaiser, a well-known financier and crypto-investor: "The 300-year-old global financial system, which in the last 30 years has completely degenerated into a Ponzi scheme, is on its last breath. The owners of this fortress, in fact a sand castle, are increasingly panicking, wreaking blood and chaos in the world"

How much better is it working than communism?

The balance of trade is an aggregate number (probably estimated) that has absolutely nothing to do with our national debt and deficits. If as a society we import more than we export to any given country, the gov't does not make up the difference and it does not pay interest at all on any debt that exists.
That's like saying that a broken leg has nothing to do with a guy not being able to play baseball.

That's like saying that a broken leg has nothing to do with a guy not being able to play baseball.
Totally wrong. You do realize that the gov't does not pay anything to anybody if the balance of payments is negative and the gov't does not receive anything from any country, person, or business where it's positive, right?

Totally wrong. You do realize that the gov't does not pay anything to anybody if the balance of payments is negative and the gov't does not receive anything from any country, person, or business where it's positive, right?
The economy hemorrhages money in various ways mainly through private sector commerce. Only the government can address the shortfall. This is done by borrowing and deficit spending thus increasing the debt.

Government revenues come from taxing private sector economic activity. When revenues fall below the fixed costs of government and government programs, borrowing occurs, which increases the debt.

Last edited:
The economy hemorrhages money in various ways mainly through private sector commerce. Only the government can address the shortfall. This is done by borrowing and deficit spending thus increasing the debt.

When I buy beer from Germany, how does the economy hemorrhage money?

Only the government can address the shortfall. This is done by borrowing and deficit spending thus increasing the debt.

Why do you feel my purchase caused a shortfall? Where? How?

When I buy beer from Germany, how does the economy hemorrhage money?

Only the government can address the shortfall. This is done by borrowing and deficit spending thus increasing the debt.

If you (and others) didn't buy that beer the whole enterprise would collapse. In other words, without the final consumer purchase of the imported product there would be no trade deficit.

If you (and others) didn't buy that beer the whole enterprise would collapse. In other words, without the final consumer purchase of the imported product there would be no trade deficit.

In other words, without the final consumer purchase of the imported product there would be no trade deficit.

OK. So what?

In other words, without the final consumer purchase of the imported product there would be no trade deficit.

OK. So what?

If it was German beer it helped. Trade deficits increase the debt.

Still waiting for you to show how the $20 that moved from my wallet, to Germany,
created the need for the US government to borrow more money.
The $800Billion trade deficit includes many $20 purchases. Each year we lose $800Billion out of the economy. The government spends borrowed money into the economy to make up for the losses through deficit spending. Each year we need to borrow about a $Trillion to keep the economy going.

Last edited:
The $800Billion trade deficit includes many $20 purchases. Each year we lose $800Billion out of the economy. The government spends borrowed money into the economy to make up for the losses through deficit spending. Each year we need to borrow about a $Trillion to keep the economy going.

Now show me how my $20 purchase forces the government to borrow money.

The government spends borrowed money into the economy to make up for the losses

Is the $20 in my wallet a "loss"? Why?

Forum List

Back