So, you don't like it,,,,now what?

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
So a couple orders Chicken Florentine Crepes.
I cook them the same as I have the other 5,000 times I've made the bastards.
"They don't taste the way the usually do" and wanted them taken off the check. Only one of them ordered something else.

I've never asked, or expected, to have something taken off my check simply because i didn't like the taste of it.

Nothing was 'wrong' or bad or spoiled. maybe today you had tea instead of soda and that made your meal taste differently.

Why should I not charge you for making me cook food that you ordered?

I can explain this in three words, hortysir.

"People are assholes."

And I understand how you're feeling, my husband was cook at a bistro for 17 years. The worst tale he ever told me was about how some highfalutin bitch dumped her plate of food on the floor when she didn't like it. Can you imagine. The owner had to come out and talk to the woman, explain she couldn't do stuff like that even as highfalutin as she thought she was.

It's part of the job. Don't take it personal.

I was served some pretty nasty crab quiche the other day. It was a tad "fishy". I didn't make a scene because we were all having a good time and everyone else really enjoyed their plates. Some time you gotta look at the big picture in life.

"They don't taste the way the usually do" and wanted them taken off the check. Only one of them ordered something else.

I've never asked, or expected, to have something taken off my check simply because i didn't like the taste of it.

Nothing was 'wrong' or bad or spoiled. maybe today you had tea instead of soda and that made your meal taste differently.

We had a woman come in every day and order some very expensive meal for lunch... she would eat all the crab off of the salad.... or all of the prawns off of the pasta.. She would call over the GM and say it was not good. Guess what... it was taken off of her bill every...single... day.

Last edited:

We had a woman come in every day and order some very expensive meal for lunch... she would eat all the crab off of the salad.... or all of the prawns off of the pasta.. She would call over the GM and say it was not good. Guess what... it was taken off of her bill every...single... day.

I sure hope you invited her to frequent the restaurant down the street. :D

Nothing shows you the level of cheap that people will stoop to like working in the restaurant industry...

Reminds me of an old man that used to come in a previous restaurant of mine.
Like you said; EVERY DAY he would tell us to make sure his babybacks were hot because "last time I was in here they were cold"
:lol:
every single day

"They don't taste the way the usually do" and wanted them taken off the check.

did they eat them

if they ate half or more

i would not have taken anything off the bill

i may offer them some discount on the next visit

i guess i would have wanted to know what was exactly off about it

it is a constant balancing act when dealing with the public

did they eat them

if they ate half or more

Almost half of one, only a quarter of the other that changed their order.

I totally agree....but they know that we, as a company, are pushovers and will discount stuff off just to avoid any fuss

did they eat them

if they ate half or more

Almost half of one, only a quarter of the other that changed their order.

I totally agree....but they know that we, as a company, are pushovers and will discount stuff off just to avoid any fuss

and dont think a good few people out there dont know it....... and use it to their advantage.

We were having lunch at Balthazar in nyc.....

the biggest mistake anyone in the industry can ever do....is ask me how everything is... if it is good i will tell him...if it is bad.... oh ill tell them that to.

i did not complain.... remember thatYOU asked.... so have a seat and let me tell you. I know how you run your restaurant...i know the standards you set..... so let me tell you..... just how everything is....... :eek:

If that waiter still had a job after i was done ......... he was lucky.

Where did Ms. Needy Freemeal park her shopping cart outside?

Where did Ms. Needy Freemeal park her shopping cart outside?

Good point. When you're poor, you'll do a lot of things to get a meal that you wouldn't consider doing if you didn't have to.

=======

When I lived in NYC, back in yon olden days of my misspent youth, all the bars had a hot and free food bar. And, it was really good food - shrimp, meatballs, little fake hot dogs. If you were broke, you could order a drink and sit there eating all evening. Along with my friends, I had many a dinner for the price of a scotch and soda.

My, how times have changed.

The only time I get pissed off'd and send something back is a steak that is cooked wrong, either too rare or too done. If I am going to pay $35-$40 for a steak I want it cooked right the first time.

If people do it only once, or infrequently (less than 6 months between occurrences say, ) you probably just have to take the hit.

Some people have higher levels of satisfaction requirements, as opposed to my level, where the ONLY thing I am picky about is how my steak is done. (Medium rare, with no loss of points for under-cooking down to rarish, and minor loss of points only for edging towards medium).

Most other orders, if there is something not 100% right I just eat whatever I got, my time consciousness overrides my gastronomy every time.

The only time I get pissed off'd and send something back is a steak that is cooked wrong, either too rare or too done. If I am going to pay $35-$40 for a steak I want it cooked right the first time.

I am a fan of steak from medium rare to just above rare. I order medium rare and if its a bit under-cooked (which they typically err on) I'm right where I want to be.

I don't order rare because sometimes rare to a place is basically waving it over the grill for 30 seconds.

That's my point though.

The meals were cooked right.
Nothing was done wrong.

It just "tasted different"

Forum List

Back