Somali voter explains his switch to Trump: ‘Very conservative people’

Drop Dead Fred

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2020
The pro-rioting and woke education policies of the Democrats have caused these voters to switch from Democrat to Republican.

Somali voter explains his switch to Trump: ‘Very conservative people’​

August 5, 2024

Somalis4Trump.jpeg

Somali voters in Minnesota are coming forward to support former President Donald Trump and vote for conservative candidates in November.

Salman Fiqy, a small business owner who recently ran in the Republican primary for a seat in the Minnesota House, joined Liz Collin Reports to explain why.

Fiqy came to Minnesota 15 years ago as a Democrat, but he said after watching things “get worse” for years, he feels it is time for a change.

“Also coming from a Muslim faith, we tend to be very conservative people and some of the issues we cannot really turn a blind eye to, we cannot ignore some of the issues,” Fiqy said.

“Safety is one of the major concerns of the Somali community because if we look back at what happened in 2020 in the riots, Lake Street tends to be residential or where the Somali population have businesses and reside in. Many businesses went out of business because of the riots and the business activities have declined, as you may know,” he remarked.

Fiqy also discussed a restaurant owner he knew who had to pay $20,000 to remove a homeless encampment on his own after the city of Minneapolis refused to do anything about it.

Fiqy considers education “the major concern.” In many cases, Somali families have led the pushback to left-wing education policies in the Twin Cities.

“I know exactly why I’m supporting what I’m supporting right now, why I switched to the Republican Party for the values and the principles that they stand for. We have shared values and interests with the Republican Party. I don’t really care about the backlash,” Fiqy said.

“There’s of course, people who accuse the Republican party as … really racist or something, but it’s contrary to that claim and it’s very welcoming. Ever since I joined the party, it was very welcoming, very warm, and loving. I think that kind of rhetoric was used in a political way.”

The pro-rioting and woke education policies of the Democrats have caused these voters to switch from Democrat to Republican.

Somali voter explains his switch to Trump: ‘Very conservative people’​

August 5, 2024

View attachment 991276

Somali voters in Minnesota are coming forward to support former President Donald Trump and vote for conservative candidates in November.

Salman Fiqy, a small business owner who recently ran in the Republican primary for a seat in the Minnesota House, joined Liz Collin Reports to explain why.

Fiqy came to Minnesota 15 years ago as a Democrat, but he said after watching things “get worse” for years, he feels it is time for a change.

“Also coming from a Muslim faith, we tend to be very conservative people and some of the issues we cannot really turn a blind eye to, we cannot ignore some of the issues,” Fiqy said.

“Safety is one of the major concerns of the Somali community because if we look back at what happened in 2020 in the riots, Lake Street tends to be residential or where the Somali population have businesses and reside in. Many businesses went out of business because of the riots and the business activities have declined, as you may know,” he remarked.

Fiqy also discussed a restaurant owner he knew who had to pay $20,000 to remove a homeless encampment on his own after the city of Minneapolis refused to do anything about it.

Fiqy considers education “the major concern.” In many cases, Somali families have led the pushback to left-wing education policies in the Twin Cities.

“I know exactly why I’m supporting what I’m supporting right now, why I switched to the Republican Party for the values and the principles that they stand for. We have shared values and interests with the Republican Party. I don’t really care about the backlash,” Fiqy said.

“There’s of course, people who accuse the Republican party as … really racist or something, but it’s contrary to that claim and it’s very welcoming. Ever since I joined the party, it was very welcoming, very warm, and loving. I think that kind of rhetoric was used in a political way.”

Decent family people of every background are natural Republican voters.

Forum List

Back