states w/ lowest sales tax... lowest property tax

some of those states... not surprising

No state property tax or income tax here in Tennessee. State sales tax is paid the same by everybody and we have one of the better bond ratings in the whole country.

No state property tax or income tax here in Tennessee. State sales tax is paid the same by everybody and we have one of the better bond ratings in the whole country.

Property tax used to make since when the country was agriculture based.
Now not so much.

But state property tax makes sense.
You need taxes for schools, police, etc.
Sales tax is not good because it is not progressive, based on income, or increased with luxuries.

Now not so much.

Sales tax is not good because it is not progressive, based on income, or increased with luxuries.

I shouldn't have to pay more tax because I am buying a "luxury" item. Luxury is an abstract concept and open to what the feds want it to be. If that was the case the current administration would luxury tax extra for cars, alcohol, meat, gasoline, guns, ammo, a piece of property, and pretty much everything they don't want you to own, or they can add to the list every time the cocaine bucket runs dry and they want more cash. Having my ps5 is technically a luxury item to a lot of poorer people, having a Aston Martin is luxury to me, owning your own jet is a luxury to them, owning a island is a luxury item to them, making your own jet to go into space is luxury to them. Luxury is relative and nothing else. I shouldn't have to pay more because I am able to afford something I want because I work for the money I have.

Now not so much.

We get by without it an have a much better credit ratingin this state than average in this country. I do pay city and county property tax, but no state property tax or state income tax. Seems to work.

Now not so much.

Property taxes are the easiest to collect.

I think in North Carolina our property taxes are pretty low but didn’t make the top ten list. In my county the tax rate is 66 cents for every hundred dollars of value. Some counties are as high as 83 cents for every hundred dollars of value. Our lowest county is 37 cents for every hundred dollars of value.

In those scenarios a $200,000 house would be $1,320 per year, $1,660 per year, and $740 per year. The kicker is when you live in the city limits you get taxed the same way. It could be higher or lower than your county tax bill. The North Carolina Constitution caps it at $1.50 between your county and city taxes. There are towns in Scotland County that are taxed above the constitutional limits. I guess nobody challenges it.

Forum List

Back