Sterling Banned for Life

Just saw press conference on TV -

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/s...onald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers.html?_r=0

Donald Sterling, longtime owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, was barred for life from the league and fined $2.5 million by N.B.A Commissioner Adam Silver on Tuesday for racist comments captured on an audio tape that Silver said Sterling admitted were his. Silver said Sterling would be barred from any contact with his team or the league and he will urge the league’s board of governors to force Sterling to sell the team.

How do you force a sale? The only way would be to ban the Clippers from playing next season, and I really don't see them trying it.

You can't by definition "ban" an owner.

I don't think the NBA can ban a team over an opinion of the owner. The result would be an immediate lawsuit by every team member for interference with contract.

i don't know. depends on the franchise license. i would imagine they would have such a clause that if a franchise owner hurts the company brand they can revoke his license.

Because of a PRIVATE remark?

that private remark was made public. whether it was legally made public is a different question.

i don't know. depends on the franchise license. i would imagine they would have such a clause that if a franchise owner hurts the company brand they can revoke his license.

it became not private when it became public.

if the person who released it violated the law, they should be dealt with. one doesn't obviate the other, frank.

:smiliehug:

if the person who released it violated the law, they should be dealt with. one doesn't obviate the other, frank.

So you can't have private thoughts or remarks that might offend someone, somewhere.

Hmmkay

So McDonald's can yank a franchise if an owner complains that you need a "Slight Indian accent" to communicate with his workers?

That affects the image of a multi-billion dollar industry.

You are being a lousy corporatist for a change, Frank.

So you can't have private thoughts or remarks that might offend someone, somewhere.

Hmmkay

sure you can. but there is always a risk it will be made public. you can always seek legal redress, but once it is public, it is out there and not going away.

It was really the only decision for Silver to make. The players don't want to play for him anymore and the sponsors don't want to do business with the clippers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/30/s...onald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers.html?_r=0

Donald Sterling, longtime owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, was barred for life from the league and fined $2.5 million by N.B.A Commissioner Adam Silver on Tuesday for racist comments captured on an audio tape that Silver said Sterling admitted were his. Silver said Sterling would be barred from any contact with his team or the league and he will urge the league’s board of governors to force Sterling to sell the team.

How do you force a sale? The only way would be to ban the Clippers from playing next season, and I really don't see them trying it.

For hundredth time, ASK MARGE SCHOTT.

Gawd don't you know how to read?

that is not true at all. i can privately besmirch any business. unless he knew he was being recorded, he had an expectation of privacy. that is the law. you are not intelligent in the slightest, no wonder you think the 1st amendment applies only to political speech.

Congratulations, for being on topic: stay there, please.

The facts prove you wrong, as almost always: the NBA fined him 2.5mm, banned him from life, and suggested strongly he sell his team.

You say something in private negatively about the business for which you work, and it comes out, you can be fired immediately.

He's the OWNER

He OWNS the team

He owns a franchise which has rules and guidelines that are set before him when he buys the team that is part of the franchise, just like a McDonalds or any other franchise there are rules and requirements that owners must follow. If 3/4 of the owners elect to suspend, disband, or sell your franchise, then that is the ruling. It is owniing 1/30th of a business.

I don't think the NBA can ban a team over an opinion of the owner. The result would be an immediate lawsuit by every team member for interference with contract.

They can if the other owners go for it, it is a franchise, it has by-laws and rules that as an owner you have to agree with before they will approve your membership. The owners vote to allow the sale of a team, they can vote to ban your team.

But it appears they have.
Be careful what you say.

What they can do is ban him from day to day control of the franchise. They can also evidently remove his franchise rights by 3/4 vote of the other owners. I still think they would have to pay him fair market value for the team.

If he sells quickly then the NBA can get out of this relatively clean. If he fights it, or even worse decides to mess with the team to ruin is competitiveness out of spite, then all sorts of bad things can happen.

I think what he said was despicable. But banning him for life?? Really??

If I were him, considering he is very rich, I would accept the ban and refuse to sell the team. I would release any decent players and never draft anyone over 5'6" for the rest of the time I was alive.

I would make the Clippers the worst team in NBA history.

But it appears they have.
Be careful what you say.

What they can do is ban him from day to day control of the franchise. They can also evidently remove his franchise rights by 3/4 vote of the other owners. I still think they would have to pay him fair market value for the team.

If he sells quickly then the NBA can get out of this relatively clean. If he fights it, or even worse decides to mess with the team to ruin is competitiveness out of spite, then all sorts of bad things can happen.

If I were him, considering he is very rich, I would accept the ban and refuse to sell the team. I would release any decent players and never draft anyone over 5'6" for the rest of the time I was alive.

why do you oppose franchise contracts?

I don't. I oppose having someone words secretly recorded and then having their business taken away from them.

The thought police are now a reality. Even though I think Sterling is despicable- a lousy owner and a skinflint cheap bastard. I think this is a very bad precedent. He spoke these words in his own home, where he expected privacy.

I see a lucrative niche market developing for eating and drinking establishments that cater to successful people - The draw or attraction will be a total ban of all electronic devices -no cameras, cell phones, recorders, lap-tops, google glass, etc...nothing. A total electronic blackout.

Bank on it!!

Who didn't know Sterling was a racist? Seriously, who didn't know? It's a well documented fact.

What took the NBA so long to take action? They knew what he is, they've known for better than twenty years.

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. Never did like the Clippers ownership, Sterling always seemed to be a hindrance...

I don't. I oppose having someone words secretly recorded and then having their business taken away from them.

then he shouldn't have bought a franchise. even though possibly illegally obtained, his words are now public record. and the NBA can legally ban him.

Forum List

Back