Stevie Ray Vaughn Died 20 Years Ago Today Tribute Thread

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
One of the greatest guitar players ever died in a helicopter crash 20 years ago today. I remember where I was when I read the news. I was in my living room in on base housing at Kadena AB Okinawa. I was reading the Stars and Stripes, I turned the page and there was the story. It was like getting kicked in the stomach.

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please post your thoughts about SRV as a man, guitar player and blues legend as well as favorite videos and tunes here.

My all time favorite SRV tune. I always dedicate this tune for my wife at karaoke night!

[youtube]-2b4GY5ctdc[/youtube]

Tightrope Live!

[youtube]yNuXO60G33w[/youtube]

I was returning from a mountain climbing trip at Mt. Shasta when our group heard the news on the radio. We all loved his music - and we spent the rest of the trip home listening to driver's various Stevie Ray CDs. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GSpbuFSr2o]YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)[/ame]

Above and beyond his virtuosity, the two things that most impressed me about Stevie Ray Vaughn were his imagination and the size of his hands!

He never ran through a lick or rift unresolved. He never seemed to repeat a phrase or join one phrase inappropriately with another.

And those mitts of his just smothered the neck of his Stratocaster and seemed to be everywhere on the neck at once.

A sad day.

As a hack guitarist, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to cop his licks. Sometimes successfully but usually not.

Truly one of the greatest (if no the greatest) rock/blues guitar players of all time.

the best blues guitarist of all time that was white......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgKVvypJc5s]YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire[/ame]

damn its been 20 years...if you had ask me...i would have said 5 at the most....whew i got to start paying attention

The only person who dared to play Hendrix licks...and not look like a fool.
In fact - in some ways he improved Hendrix's music by not wandering off on an imaginary celestial plane in the middle of a song.

Forum List

Back