Sundown Towns

Yeah, we saw it last night, I think it would have been better if it was another hour or so allowing them to go more in depth. Martinsville, is one of those areas that were pretty close to a slave state (Kentucky) or states. They people close to those borders were pretty split and in my opinion, many of them sympathized with the South and their mores and values.

Yeah, we saw it last night, I think it would have been better if it was another hour or so allowing them to go more in depth. Martinsville, is one of those areas that were pretty close to a slave state (Kentucky) or states. They people close to those borders were pretty split and in my opinion, many of them sympathized with the South and their mores and values.

I agree. It was much too broad a topic with way too much history to have been covered in just an hour. Besides that, there are other regions like the Midwest that have as much if not more historical facts.

I have lived in one. Maybe 10 negro's in whole town now...to many mexicans but eh. There is also at least 2 books on these towns...

I have lived in one. Maybe 10 negro's in whole town now...to many mexicans but eh. There is also at least 2 books on these towns...

So, assuming that the 10 remaining so called "negros" in your town are all that is left of what was once many more, what happened to the rest?

I guess "sundown" came before they could get out of town?

why bring up a thing of the past like this....i know its history but sundown towns no longer exist...do they? but lets go on and on about that.....seems rather sillie when whites are using the stand your ground law to kill young black men....but lets not dwell on what is currently happening

Interesting documentary. I have passed through some "Sundown Towns", but didn't realize how many there were out there.

Sundown Towns Documentary - Bing News

Injustice Files : Investigation Discovery

why bring up a thing of the past like this....i know its history but sundown towns no longer exist...do they? but lets go on and on about that.....seems rather sillie when whites are using the stand your ground law to kill young black men....but lets not dwell on what is currently happening

Actually it is recent history. This is not slavery or even Jim Crow. Most of the people who have had experiences in these towns are still living.

Bringing it up is not any kind of attempt on my part to divert attention from current issues, or to promote any resentment or hostility towards anyone here.

It was a special on television, and also a book about a little known culture that is still out there.

So, assuming that the 10 remaining so called "negros" in your town are all that is left of what was once many more, what happened to the rest?

I guess "sundown" came before they could get out of town?

They know better than to move there. The laws are off the books but they are not wanted there.

Forum List

Back