Switched to a straight razor...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...and I don't think I'll ever go back.

Best shave I've ever had.

First time I nicked myself pretty good...got to go slow. Only shaved the left side and part of the right...no chin.

Second time both sides...all right handed.

Third time, had far more control than I've ever had with multi-blade disposables or butterfly safety razors...and a far closer shave with a single pass.

I'm using a cheap straight razor that uses double edged razor blades snapped in half. They're designed to do that...who knew...not me.

Razor @ Amazon

It's $13. I'll likely buy or make a real straight razor eventually...but I wanted to see if I would enjoy it (read "not filet my face off or open my jugular) before I invested a lot of money or time.

It does take some time to become...not proficient...but adequately familiarized with the new technique...but after this last shave... number three...I feel very comfortable.

The brush was also $13...synthetic. Makes a thick lather quickly.

Instead of specialty shave soap, I melted a bar of dial into a small bowl with a heat gun. Works fine... but dries fast. I lather one side of my face, shave, then repeat on the other side.

Wish I would have tried this a long time ago. Unfortunately like a lot of folks, when I was younger I became caught up in the belief the old ways were antiquated and the modern replacement was a superior upgrade.

Time saving? Maybe. Superior? Not a chance.

Last edited:

First time I nicked myself pretty good...got to go slow. Only shaved the left side and part of the right...no chin.

Third time, had far more control than I've ever had with multi-blade disposables or butterfly safety razors...and a far closer shave with a single pass.

I'm using a cheap straight razor that uses double edged razor blades snapped it half. They're designed to doh that...who knew...not me.

Straight Edge Razor Natural Ebony Wood Scale with 5 Double Edge Blades - Professional and Close Shaving - Manual Shaver, Barber Approved(Black with Blade) Robot Check

It's $13. I'll likely buy or make a real straight razor eventually...but I wanted to see if I would enjoy it (read "not filet my face off or open my jugular) before I invested a lot of money or time.

It does take some time to become...not proficient...but adequately familiarized with the new technique...but after this last shave... number three...I feel very comfortable.

Instead of specialty shave soap, I melted a bar of dial into a small bowl with a heat gun. Works fine... but dries fast. I lather one side of my face, shave, then repeat on the other side.

Which I would have tried this a long time ago. Unfortunately like a lot of folks, when I was younger I became caught up in the belief the old ways were antiquated and the modern replacement was a superior upgrade.

got more guts than me,,,

I fight back against corp america by not shaving,,,its all about the beard,,

Let the weight of the razor do the work. You don't have to pull it like a disposable.

A good pre-shave oil will do wonders.

A good step from the Dovo Shavette is any double-edged safety razor.

You can buy 100 top quality Feather Brand blades (made in Japan) on Amazon for like $50.

Get a nice heavy one is best. No stropping, no honing, no maintenance.

Proraso makes a great shave soap that is really reasonably priced. A $10 tub will last you months.

Get a silver-tipped badger brush. It will literally last longer than you. Your son will be passing it down to your grandson.

5700161-merkur-rasierhobelset-futur-4-teilig.jpg

Let the weight of the razor do the work. You don't have to pull it like a disposable.

A good pre-shave oil will do wonders.

A good step from the Dovo Shavette is any double-edged safety razor.

You can buy 100 top quality Feather Brand blades (made in Japan) on Amazon for like $50.

Get a nice heavy one is best. No stropping, no honing, no maintenance.

Proraso makes a great shave soap that is really reasonably priced. A $10 tub will last you months.

Get a silver-tipped badger brush. It will literally last longer than you. Your son will be passing it down to your grandson.
Thanks, I'll check those out. :thup:

I can't say I have thought to much about, especially now... My face is to old... To many crooks, crannys and crevices... Probably would look like I used a busted Falstaff bottle...
I to like progressive hunter think its all about the beard...
I'll grow my beard out for the winter...but in the summer, it's got to go. The smoother the better.

I'm using a cheap straight razor that uses double edged razor blades snapped in half. They're designed to do that...who knew...not me.

Razor @ Amazon

Wish I would have tried this a long time ago. Unfortunately like a lot of folks, when I was younger I became caught up in the belief the old ways were antiquated and the modern replacement was a superior upgrade.

You're a brave man! I'm pretty sure I would lop of an ear lobe.

You're a brave man! I'm pretty sure I would lop of an ear lobe.
That's what I thought too. Honestly I almost chickened out at the last minute, literally with the razor in my hand at the mirror.

Glad I didn't.

It's not like you'd expect it to be. The hardest part...at least for me...has been learning to hold the razor "properly". I put that in quotes because it isn't a science. The proper technique is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. Now that I have my grip worked out, it feels very comfortable and controlled.

I separated from the Army in the fall of 1978 and said then that I was growing a beard and keeping it because I found a great displeasure in shaving... With the exception of getting a turd cross ways maybe a half a dozen times, I have kept a beard... There was a time in 1986 when I shaved for a job... I worked in the Airline Industry and was promoted from a Ramp Supervisor to Ramp Manager... There was a prick V.P. in charge of the operation here in HNL and he said I had to shave... I shaved and wore a Tie for 4 years... Cramped my style but I made about $50 grand more in that 4 years... The things you do for family... I quit and immediately started growing a beard and moved to the country (Indiana) ... I have shaved a couple of time in the last 30 years because of above mentioned turd... Don't know why just do it and start fresh...
Then there was 2020... I am not one to get a regular haircut either... Well in the first of April all the haircutting places closed up because of the beer virus... Didn't bother me all that much, but the ex-wife well lets just say there are reasons why we are no longer married... Enough said...
She found some women to come to the house 2 weeks ago and give me a haircut... Mistakes are made and she attacked my beard also... Not that it didn't need it, but I was smooth as a baby's butt when she was done and I didn't even have a turd crossways...
I don't have a whole lot to do but grow facial and cranium hair, so it isn't that big of a deal...

I love my electric. It's all about the convenience. 2 minutes flat and I'm shaved.

I love my electric. It's all about the convenience. 2 minutes flat and I'm shaved.

That's the third saddest thing I've heard all day.
If that's the worst you've heard it must be a pretty good day for you.

The first and second saddest things involved a little girl and some puppies.
And my electric razor ranks right up there, huh?

I didn't know I meant so much to you.

Razor @ Amazon

When I first began shaving, my dad made me use a straight razor. He said if I learned to do that, I wouldn't cut myself even with a regular razor. I have a beard now though.

Check out dailytimewaster blog, he has a "shave of the day" section.

I'll have to keep a straight razor in mind. I'm currently using a double edge safety razor just because I felt like a sucker buying those over-engineered gay contraptions Gillette and others were pushing.

I can imagine my fingers being a bloody mess next time I change it's blade as I attempt to snap the old blade in half as you say it was designed to do. Will see how it goes. In reading the post it didn't take me long to begin wondering what soap you used. Thanks for including that. Can't see myself messing with a heat gun and a bar of soap and so will stick with the cheap from Target or Walmart, as all I do with it is scrape it off my face.

Last edited:

It took a month for that post of yours to sink in and in October I broke down and bought myself an electric razor. I'd become less and less motivated to shave and then finally the electric route became very applealing. Feel free to print this post and send it to Remington with request for a commission.

Forum List

Back