Sword fighting in Dune world.........

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
The second movie in the new Dune movie release is out.......

Just some thoughts....

The sword fighting in Dune would be very different than what we see......

The "shield" technology that the fighters wear means that firearms do not work.....the shield deflects anything that is moving fast...such as bullets.

In the new movies, it is shown that the fighters also wear armor as well as the shields.

What this combination of shields and armor means is that sword fighting would become a wrestling match, rather than fencing, since the only way to penetrate the shield is to slowly push through it, and because of the armor, you have to go for the joints to get a slow moving blade to hit the body.

Now....in the desert, shields attract the Worms...because of their vibration.....in the desert, it is also incredibly hot, so wearing armor wouldn't be feasible.......and the StillSuits that allow you to survive would make wearing armor impossible as well.....so you could actually use a sword as you would in a normal combat setting.

Just some thoughts.

Just some thoughts....

The "shield" technology that the fighters wear means that firearms do not work.....the shield deflects anything that is moving fast...such as bullets.

In the new movies, it is shown that the fighters also wear armor as well as the shields.

What this combination of shields and armor means is that sword fighting would become a wrestling match, rather than fencing, since the only way to penetrate the shield is to slowly push through it, and because of the armor, you have to go for the joints to get a slow moving blade to hit the body.

Now....in the desert, shields attract the Worms...because of their vibration.....in the desert, it is also incredibly hot, so wearing armor wouldn't be feasible.......and the StillSuits that allow you to survive would make wearing armor impossible as well.....so you could actually use a sword as you would in a normal combat setting.

Just some thoughts.

The way I understood it the art of fighting with a blade is the art of setting up a person for a slow strike with a knife or blade. If one could get a gun muzzle through a shield slowly then an opponent could be shot.

Even with shields a bullet would carry kinetic energy that could in itself cause bodily harm since the shields are so closet to the body. An energy weapon would still impart a great deal of force and heat into the shields as well. And the Still suit tech could be integrated into armor rather than the armor simply being worn over a still suit.

Just some thoughts....

Just some thoughts.
A world where guns are useless is no doubt terrifying to you.

I always thought that the whole thing with shields and knives was kind of a convoluted way to get us to the knife fight between Paul Atreides and Feyd Raufa (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) at the book's climax. Just like the whole Butlerian Jihad was a way to explain why they just don't have computers (and why the mind-expanding spice was necessary for the Guild, Mentats, and Bene Gesserits). A lot of classic Science Fiction doesn't age well because the technology evolved in ways that couldn't be imagined. Who'd would have guessed in 1970 we'd all be carrying portable computers in our pockets in 2024.

I'll probably go see it this evening, because I've seen the first half, but I don't see what this movie provides that you couldn't have gotten out of the 1984 film or the 2000 mini-series on Sci-Fi.

A world where guns are useless is no doubt terrifying to you.

I always thought that the whole thing with shields and knives was kind of a convoluted way to get us to the knife fight between Paul Atreides and Feyd Raufa (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong) at the book's climax. Just like the whole Butlerian Jihad was a way to explain why they just don't have computers (and why the mind-expanding spice was necessary for the Guild, Mentats, and Bene Gesserits). A lot of classic Science Fiction doesn't age well because the technology evolved in ways that couldn't be imagined. Who'd would have guessed in 1970 we'd all be carrying portable computers in our pockets in 2024.

I'll probably go see it this evening, because I've seen the first half, but I don't see what this movie provides that you couldn't have gotten out of the 1984 film or the 2000 mini-series on Sci-Fi.
It's science fiction, Moron.

It is science fiction, but you're dragging reality into it.

Why though? No one knows because this thread seems to just be mindless rambling with no point.
No I'm not.

Comparing Dune to gun rights in the US is dragging reality into it.

No I'm not.

Comparing Dune to gun rights in the US is dragging reality into it.
Oh, you couldn't get past my first sentence, then.

I was having a bit of fun with our resident Ammosexual.

For the record, I've read all six of Frank Herbert's Dune novels. I've also watch both the 1984 version (Trippy) and the 2000 SyFy Channel version (which is better than it deserves to be, given the Dumpster fire SyFy is these days.)

I think the novels are a bit overrated.

The current movies, I thought the first one was too Hollywood. Hey, let's have an extended fight scene with Jason Mamoa because he's Jason Mamoa! (the scene in the book is less than a few pages.)

I haven't read the books in decades but IIRC the Holtsman shields also made your opponent slippery.

Its actually a fair point though.

I haven't read the books in decades but IIRC the Holtsman shields also made your opponent slippery.

Its actually a fair point though.
I think you are correct.

The shields are in this movie, but they are only kind of hinted at.

Having just watched the movie, I thought it was pretty good and I wasn't a fan of the first part.

They gave the Fremen much more of a third world feel, and the female characters are strongly written, compared to the 1984 and 2000 versions. But this really isn't out of line with Herbert's original novels.

This one has a LOT of actors you've heard of, including Dave Batista, Christopher Walken, Florence Pugh, Josh Brolin. The 1984 version had a lot of unknowns who later went on to distinguish themselves in other things.

A lot of characters from the book are dropped out of the movie adaptations for the sake of time.

I am waiting for the boxed set on DVD so I can complete my collection.

I think some of the interpretations are interesting. For instance, Geidi Prime (Homeworld of the Harkonens) is described in the books as being industrial and kind of ugly. The 1984 version showed it cloaked in smog and darkness. This film showed it as being a planet where the sun is so punishing, everyone has to wear Heavy duty sun-screen. (Possibly due to Ozone depletion?)

Definitely worth a watch.

Forum List

Back