Kondor3

Cafeteria Centrist
Jul 29, 2009
Illinois, USA
Syria and Israel in exchange of fire

BBC World News - 21 May 2013 Last updated at 11:22 ET

_67732312_67724961.jpg

Israel and Syria have recently exchanged fire in Golan several times

Israeli and Syrian forces have exchanged fire across the ceasefire line in the occupied Golan Heights.

Israel returned fire after one of its military vehicles was hit by shots from Syria, Israel's defence forces say. Media reports say no-one was hurt.

Syria says it destroyed an Israeli vehicle which it says crossed the ceasefire line into territory its forces control.

Syria and Israel have traded fire a number of times in recent weeks.

The Israeli military said its troops "returned precise fire" after the vehicle was hit.

_67726682__67661012_golan_304_2.jpg

A statement from the Syrian army said it had "destroyed an Israeli vehicle with everything that it had in it". The statement said the vehicle was shot after it crossed the ceasefire line and headed towards the rebel-held village of Bir Ajam.

It warned that any attempts to violate its sovereignty would be "met with immediate and firm retaliation".

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has previously accused Israel of aiding the rebels, but has not provided substantive evidence.

Speaking after Tuesday's incident, Israeli chief of staff Lt Gen Benny Gantz said Israel would not allow the Golan to become "a comfortable sphere for Assad to operate from", warning the Syrian leader would "bear the consequences" if the situation deteriorated.

Heightened tension

Syrian gunfire has hit the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights in two previous incidents this week, without causing injury. There have been sporadic exchanges of fire between the two sides in recent months.

The difference this time is that the Syrian regime, which did not comment on the previous reported incidents, have made a big issue of this one, and cast it in quite a different light, says the BBC's Jim Muir in Beirut.

It has used the event to highlight what it calls the close co-operation between Israel and the Syrian rebels - whose wounded in that area are in fact reported to be being treated in Israeli medical facilities, he says.

By warning of an "immediate and firm" response to any future "breaches" it also hinted at the kind of regional flare-up that is increasingly worrying the international community as it sees the Syrian crisis deepening, our correspondent adds.

Tensions between Israel and Syria have soared this year, with Israel carrying out three air strikes on Syria to stop the transfer of advanced weapons to the militant Islamist movement Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Syrian shells have hit Israeli positions on the Golan Heights, though it is unclear whether they were aimed at rebels in border areas, and Israel has returned fire.

Syria and Israel have been in a state of war since 1948 but the border had been relatively calm in recent years.

Israel has occupied the Golan Heights since the 1967 war. It annexed the territory in 1981, in a move that has not been recognised by the international community.

BBC News - Syria and Israel in exchange of fire

========================================================================

Why are these people doing this?

They must both be a touch mad.

Both sides are hip-deep in troubles of their own - Syria far more than Israel - and yet they're shooting at each other?

Although my gut inclination is almost always to trust Israel's version over that of the Arabs, that's not always a safe bet, and in a normally tense border-region, compounded by civil war tensions on one side of the line, anything and everything can happen.

Ya never know.

We have heard and seen sooooo much bull<bleep> from both Israelis and Palestinians in situations like this over the years that it's difficult to know who to believe.

I wonder if the UN Observers' report back to UN Headquarters will be published anytime soon, and I wonder whether that report might contain some additional objective information.

Last edited:
Syria's War Bleeds Across Borders...
:eek:
Syria's deepening sectarian war bleeds across borders
May 30, 2013 &#8212; The Syrian civil war is increasingly drawing in nations across the Middle East, a regionwide conflict that threatens to pit world powers against each other.
On Wednesday, the United Nations Human Rights Council pushed through a resolution to investigate the abuses of the Syrian regime, over the objections of the regime's ally Russia, who insisted the West was making matters worse. U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry continued his travels in the region, trying to get all parties to agree to a peace conference in Geneva in the next few weeks. But councils representing the Syrian rebels again refused to join, demanding representatives of Bashar Assad's regime be banned.

The Sunni-Shiite divide
b5511405-0bc1-4595-b72b-914b9c9a5d8b-middle-east-seq-1.png

The two main branches of Islam have been at odds for nearly 1,400 years. Poor census data and attempts to marginalize one sect over the other make the groups' exact numbers difficult to come by.

This came in a week when Israel warned Russia it may use airstrikes to prevent Syria from activating sophisticated missile systems that Moscow says it is sending to Syria, home of Russia's only port on the Mediterranean. Early Thursday, Lebanese TV quoted Assad as saying the first shipment of Russian missiles has arrived in Syria. He made the comments in an exclusive interview, which was to air later in the day on Hezbollah-owned Al-Manar TV. On Monday, the European Union lifted its embargo of sending arms to the rebels and could later decide to do so. Meanwhile, a leading proponent of arming the rebels, U.S. Sen. John McCain, arrived this week in rebel-held territory in Syria on a surprise visit to offer his support.

In a war that is now clearly pitting the two main branches of the Islam &#8212; Sunni and Shiite Muslims &#8212; against one another, the dithering and differences between world powers is bringing about a desperate situation, according to experts. "The war is spreading to Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, as we speak, and will only spread more. It's a regional sectarian war, where Turkey, the Gulf states and Iran, as well as the U.S., EU countries and Russia, other countries, are backing factions," says Andrew Parasiliti, a former foreign policy adviser to Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and editor of Al-Monitor.com, a Middle East news and analysis website. "The sooner regional peace can coalesce around diplomacy, the better. ... If this conference fails, the Sunni-Shia conflict will probably get worse."

CENTURIES OF CONFLICT

Related:

Syrian president Assad says army 'has balance of power'
30 May 2013 > The Syrian army has scored "major victories" against rebels and now holds "the balance of power" in the conflict, President Bashar al-Assad has told a Lebanese TV station.
He also suggested Syria may have received the first shipment of an advanced Russian air defence system. Russia vowed earlier this week to go ahead with sending S-300 missiles. Meanwhile, the main opposition outside Syria said it would not take part in peace talks while massacres continued. Speaking in Istanbul where the Syrian National Coalition is meeting, its interim head, George Sabra, said talk of diplomatic conferences was farcical while Syrian government forces backed by the Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah were carrying out heinous crimes.

_67888640_67886298.jpg

"The repercussions and wider dangers seem to be growing every day," reports Jim Muir in Beirut

Last week, a spokesman for the National Coalition had said it would attend, but only if Mr Assad agreed to step down. In his interview, Mr Assad said Syria would "in principle" attend the talks if there were not unacceptable preconditions. However, he said it would not be surprising if the conference failed, and if it did, it would not make much difference on the ground, because what he called the "terrorism" of the rebels would continue.

'Major victories'

President Assad's interview with Hezbollah-linked al-Manar TV was broadcast on Thursday. He said he was "very confident" about the victory of his forces, and said Russia had fulfilled some of its weapons contracts. However, he did not specify whether this included the S-300 missiles - a highly capable surface-to-air missile system that, as well as targeting aircraft, also has the capacity to engage ballistic missiles.

_67896067_s300_vehicles2_464in.gif

Mr Assad said there was "popular pressure" to open a military front against Israel on the Golan Heights, and said Syria would respond directly if there were any further Israeli air strikes. Israel has warned it would regard the Russian missiles as a serious threat to its security. On Thursday. Israeli Energy Minister Silvan Shalom told public radio that Israel did not want to "escalate" the situation with Syria, but would not allow the transfer of strategic weapons to Hezbollah.

'Invading'

See also:

No Russian air defense missiles in Syrian hands, say US officials
May 30, 2013 > Syrian President Bashar Assad does not yet have advanced surface-to-air missiles from Russia despite a report in which he initially appeared to claim he did, two senior U.S. officials privy to sensitive intelligence matters told Fox News.
Reports initially claimed the embattled dictator told a Hezbollah television interviewer that the Russians had recently delivered the advanced S-300 surface to air missile systems, weapons that could help his forces fend off western efforts to establish a no-fly zone over the Middle Eastern nation engulfed in a civil war that has claimed as many as 90,000 lives. Russia and Iran have been supplying arms to Assad, including Kalashnikov rifles and anti-ship cruise missiles. But a shipment of S-300s would raise the stakes in the area, and Israel has threatened to take military action if those shipments are made.

Although Assad was initially quoted as saying "Syria has received the first shipment of Russian anti-aircraft S-300 rockets," a subsequent transcript was inconclusive. "There are many arms agreements between us and the Russians from a long time," the later transcript stated. "The Russians are committed to their agreements. All that was agreed with Russia will be implemented and part of it has been already done. We and the Russians are in agreement and we will continue to be like this." Earlier, the main Western-backed opposition group announced Thursday that it would not participate in peace talks -- a major blow to international efforts to end the country's devastating civil war.

The station released Assad's comments on the Russian missiles in print, through its breaking news service Thursday morning. An official at Al-manar confirmed to The Associated Press that the remarks were from the exclusive interview the TV was to air in full later Thursday. Assad's claim came just days after the European Union lifted an arms embargo on Syria, paving way for individual countries of the 27-member bloc to send weapons to rebels fighting to topple Assad's regime. The developments raise fears of an arms race -- not just between Assad's forces and the opposition fighters battling to topple his regime, but also in the wider Middle East.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/0...-has-received-russian-missiles/#ixzz2UoNXQkhT

Last edited:
Although they have begun a process of recovery in recent years, Russia does not have the global reach that it once did, in projecting conventional military power, and they are not going to nuke the Israelis.

Twenty-five years ago, it would have been un-think-able for the Israelis to stand up to the Russians like this, and to tell them that "No means no - you are not going to put those missiles next-door to us."

You've gotta be a little crazy to talk to the Russians like that - that, and own a pair of Olympic-class Balls.

Good for the Israelis.

But I am reading the Soviet Union is already sending missiles to Syria. I say, good for them. They are not taking orders from the US and Israel. I cannot help but admire and respect them for that.
Don't look now, but the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991.
confused_smile.gif

I think you mean Russia...
tongue_smile.gif

...which is, 22 years later, a ghostly shadow of its former self.

And, of course you approve of Russia sending aid to Assad...

Anything that runs counter to American or Israeli interests meets with your approval...

Good thing for you that your non-Muslim American neighbors in Razorback Country don't know how you really feel...

Posting such material is within the http://www.usmessageboard.com/annou...48-usmb-rules-and-guidelines.html#post6790048 the qualifying statement is where the poster has "first posted the information here at USMB by the member themselves (Include Link)" http://www.usmessageboard.com/7090040-post277.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply do not like to see some nations bullying others. I hate the violence in Syria, but I hate equally the Hypocrisy in glorifying the arming of one side in a civil war and demonizing the arming of the other side.

But I am reading Russia is already sending missiles to Syria. I say, good for them. They are not taking orders from the US and Israel. I cannot help but admire and respect them for that. USA TODAY
Syria is about to reap the whirlwind.

I expect that will be true for all of us.
WWIII will not ignite here... it is (and will remain) a regional conflict with some input here and there from the outside. Assad will remain in power until the Presidential Palace is overrun and then his own people are going to kill him and his family. The fool should leave now while there is still time, but he won't, and the blood of his wife and children will be on his own hands.

I expect that will be true for all of us.
WWIII will not ignite here... it is (and will remain) a regional conflict with some input here and there from the outside. Assad will remain in power until the Presidential Palace is overrun and then his own people are going to kill him and his family. The fool should leave now while there is still time, but he won't, and the blood of his wife and children will be on his own hands.
Here's a new regional concern.

Netanyahu orders gas masks for all Israelis - Israel Today | Israel News

Perhaps the Israeli government's recent claims - about the Assad regime using chemical weapons - are real enough after all; enough to make them spend considerable money on such a civil defense measure.

But I am reading Russia is already sending missiles to Syria. I say, good for them. They are not taking orders from the US and Israel. I cannot help but admire and respect them for that. USA TODAY
I say that Israeli deaths will be in the thousands if a rocket war breaks out...Israel would be smart not to start a regional conflict...so far her Russian Roulette attacks have suceeded...two bullets down, four to go.

"...I say that Israeli deaths will be in the thousands if a rocket war breaks out...Israel would be smart not to start a regional conflict...so far her Russian Roulette attacks have suceeded...two bullets down, four to go."
Smart Vegas Money says the Israelis lose a couple of hundred rather than thousands.

Smart Vegas Money also says that the Israelis inflict a high price and extremely favorable exchange rate upon their Hezbollah attackers in Lebanon.

Taking out dozens of thousands or more in return for a couple of hundred.

Not to mention ramming an invasion force through Lebanon like $hit through a goose and leveling enemy positions and their environs so that they may no longer be used to harm Israelis.

It will make the last incursion into Lebanon look like a Sunday-school picnic by comparison.

Hezbollah may not be crapping its pants just yet, but it should be.

If they're foolish enough to launch a large-scale campaign of rocket attacks they will probably be annihilated this time around - no mercy, no prisoners, no survivors - and UN calls for a cease-fire be damned.

Just an observation... and a bit of a lark... indulging in a little fortune-telling...
tongue_smile.gif

( turns-off phoney-baloney crystal-ball lava-lamp and climbs off soap box )

Last edited:
"I edited my post before I even read yours, to refer to Russia, the former Soviet Union , as Russia. (I wonder if the United Kingdom will be Britian again one day.) My problem is with Nationalism that dehumanizes other people, not any particular nation. And I do not live in Razorback Country, and I know of no Razorback Country, it is certainly not on any maps. So, you obviously have me confused with somebody else. And as for the OP, and Syria and Israel, I would like to see Israel end her unlawful Occupation of the Golan Heights and stop her attacks upon Syria and reap all she has sown. Sherri "

My problem is with Nationalism that dehumanizes other people, not any particular nation.It certainly doesn't require 'Nationalism' to dehumanize other people: sometimes it's enough to simply refer to a human rights activist as 'that man' and ignore his experience.... Or to demonize an entire nation by labeling them a 'rogue' nation. The dehumanizing you'reobjecting to isn't necessarily a function of nationalism.

And I do not live in Razorback Country, and I know of no Razorback Country, it is certainly not on any maps. So, you obviously have me confused with somebody else
'Razorback Country' has something to do with a sports team from a particular state/area. I may claim I don't live in the 'Patriot Nation', but sports enthusiasts tell me otherwise.

And as for the OP, and Syria and Israel, I would like to see Israel end her unlawful Occupation of the Golan Heights and stop her attacks upon Syria and reap all she has sown
While there's no peace treaty with Syria, it doesn't appear Israel is required to relinquish the Syrian territory from which shells routinely rained down upon civilians who were living within Israel proper. The Israelis would be well advised to wait until the dust in Syria settles, inhopes of making peace with a regime that won't try to dam the Litani and steal their water (the way Assad's daddy tried in '64or so!)

Well, Russia is now sending not only missiles to Syria but aircraft, as well, I read. Russia will go ahead with plans to deliver S-300 anti-aircraft missiles to Syria despite Western opposition and Israel saying it would “know how to act” if Syrians receive the advanced weapons system.Moscow said that by sending in the anti-aircraft system, it would deter “hotheads” intent on intervention in the two-year-old conflict, the deputy foreign minister said on Tuesday, according to Reuters. Russia will send anti-aircraft system to Syria despite Israeli threats - Alarabiya.net English | Front Page. Russia to sell MiG jet fighters to Syria, jet maker saysMay 31, 2013. http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=world&url= Russia to sell MiG jet fighters to Syria, jet maker says - CBS News

Well, Russia is now sending not only missiles to Syria but aircraft, as well, I read. Russia will go ahead with plans to deliver S-300 anti-aircraft missiles to Syria despite Western opposition and Israel saying it would “know how to act” if Syrians receive the advanced weapons system.Moscow said that by sending in the anti-aircraft system, it would deter “hotheads” intent on intervention in the two-year-old conflict, the deputy foreign minister said on Tuesday, according to Reuters. Russia will send anti-aircraft system to Syria despite Israeli threats - Alarabiya.net English | Front Page. Russia to sell MiG jet fighters to Syria, jet maker saysMay 31, 2013. http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.rbml?pageType=world&url= Russia to sell MiG jet fighters to Syria, jet maker says - CBS News
And if Russia sends missles and aircraft to Syria it will be junk in no time.

Israel threatens to bomb Russian arms shipment to Syria - Israel Today | Israel News

You need secure airfields and runways on which to land those new planes, and airfields and runways are a commodity in which Assad is in increasingly short supply, as the Rebels capture more and more territory, and acquire more anti-aircraft assets from the outside.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back