Ted Cruz Could Be First Canadian-Born US President: Here’s Why

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
Most Americans learn early on that you can’t be president of the United States unless you’re born in America. But to the confusion of civics students everywhere, Ted Cruz’s presidential story begins in Canada.

The Texas senator, who officially announced his bid for president today at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, was born in Calgary, Canada in 1970. (Cruz even briefly mentioned Canada in his speech.)

So, why doesn't the Canadian-born US senator seem to be worried?

Let’s review:

According to the Constitution, a presidential candidate must be a “natural born citizen” of the United States.

While Cruz received U.S. citizenship through his American mother, he was a Canadian citizen by virtue of his birth, the Dallas Morning News discovered in 2013.

While some conservatives –and Donald Trump—have questioned Cruz’s presidential eligibility, and the Supreme Court has never weighed in on the subject, many legal experts believe his Canadian citizenship didn’t disqualify him from running for president. Both John McCain and George Romney ran for president, despite being born in the Panama Canal Zone and Mexico, respectively.

The most recent defense of Cruz’s eligibility came in a recent article in the Harvard Law Review, where two lawyers who worked in the Bush and Obama administrations argued that Cruz’s mother’s citizenship and his father’s status as a U.S. resident covered the Constitution’s requirement.

Ted Cruz Could Be First Canadian-Born US President Here s Why - Yahoo News

Apart from the fact that mass media love this "first somebody persident" tag... What do you think about the story? I mean, here's a clear answer to all those questioning Ted Cruz's right to run for president. Is it satisfying? Or are we being tricked again?

As for me... Dunno... I have my doubts. It's too... sneaky. A rule is a rule.

Let's all convince Michio Kaku to run for prez. How badass would that be...

I believe we have had a president from Canada already...But the records were destroyed during the campaign...

Cruz is a good guy and would probably be a good president, but he has zero chance of being elected.

It is fun to watch the left wing media fools try to destroy him.

Most Americans learn early on that you can’t be president of the United States unless you’re born in America. But to the confusion of civics students everywhere, Ted Cruz’s presidential story begins in Canada.

The Texas senator, who officially announced his bid for president today at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, was born in Calgary, Canada in 1970. (Cruz even briefly mentioned Canada in his speech.)

Let’s review:

According to the Constitution, a presidential candidate must be a “natural born citizen” of the United States.

While Cruz received U.S. citizenship through his American mother, he was a Canadian citizen by virtue of his birth, the Dallas Morning News discovered in 2013.

While some conservatives –and Donald Trump—have questioned Cruz’s presidential eligibility, and the Supreme Court has never weighed in on the subject, many legal experts believe his Canadian citizenship didn’t disqualify him from running for president. Both John McCain and George Romney ran for president, despite being born in the Panama Canal Zone and Mexico, respectively.

The most recent defense of Cruz’s eligibility came in a recent article in the Harvard Law Review, where two lawyers who worked in the Bush and Obama administrations argued that Cruz’s mother’s citizenship and his father’s status as a U.S. resident covered the Constitution’s requirement.

Apart from the fact that mass media love this "first somebody persident" tag... What do you think about the story? I mean, here's a clear answer to all those questioning Ted Cruz's right to run for president. Is it satisfying? Or are we being tricked again?

Ted Cruz was born to an American citizen. He is a natural born citizen.

The BEST QUALIFIED person should get a job, with no regard for gender, race, sexual orientation or country of origin, no matter what that job is.

Any law, rule, or regulation that says otherwise is nothing but affirmative action.

image4.png

What happened to Chester A. Arthur? Have liberal revisionists taken him off the list of past presidents?

Jeb Bush could be the first Hispanic president.

Or, Rand Paul could be our first German president.

Last edited:
The BEST QUALIFIED person should get a job, with no regard for gender, race, sexual orientation or country of origin, no matter what that job is.

Any law, rule, or regulation that says otherwise is nothing but affirmative action.

The requirements for the job of President are set down in the Constitution. As pesky as that might seem, that's what we follow.

What happened to Chester A. Arthur? Have liberal revisionists taken him off the list of past presidents?

That would be the Conservative revisionists- aka Birthers like Stevie the Racist- who believe Arthur was not really President.

I assume Cruz is eligible, even though I have seen no evidence that his mother was a citizen when he was born.

Let’s review:

Ted Cruz was born to an American citizen. He is a natural born citizen.
No he is not. He is a statutory citizen.

Forum List

Back