Ted Cruz praises Jesse Helms...

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
Ted Cruz: 'We Need 100 More Like Jesse Helms' In The Senate

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said Wednesday that the country would be better off if the Senate was full of people like Jesse Helms, the late senator who was ardently opposed to all kinds of civil rights measures and even tried to block the Senate from approving a federal holiday in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.

During remarks at a Heritage Foundation event dubbed the "Jesse Helms Lecture Series," Cruz told a story of Helms receiving a $5,000 political donation from actor John Wayne, who apparently later told Helms he liked him because "you're that guy saying all those crazy things" and that there needed to be 100 more of him.

"It's every bit as true now as it was then," Cruz said. "We need 100 more like Jesse Helms in the U.S. Senate."

And the GOP cannot understand why it cannot make inroads into the minority community. It seems Cruz is saying, "I wish we could return to the good old days of Jim Crow."

REALLY?​

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said Wednesday that the country would be better off if the Senate was full of people like Jesse Helms, the late senator who was ardently opposed to all kinds of civil rights measures and even tried to block the Senate from approving a federal holiday in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.

During remarks at a Heritage Foundation event dubbed the "Jesse Helms Lecture Series," Cruz told a story of Helms receiving a $5,000 political donation from actor John Wayne, who apparently later told Helms he liked him because "you're that guy saying all those crazy things" and that there needed to be 100 more of him.

"It's every bit as true now as it was then," Cruz said. "We need 100 more like Jesse Helms in the U.S. Senate."

And the GOP cannot understand why it cannot make inroads into the minority community. It seems Cruz is saying, "I wish we could return to the good old days of Jim Crow."

REALLY?​

Better have 100 of Helms than one of Obama. I don't know which one is more of an obstacle to racial harmony. I mean, don't get me wrong, but it seems to me Helms stuck to his guns, Obama is all over the place. :p

Maddow smacks down Cruz for invoking vicious racist Sen. Jesse Helms | The Raw Story
<excerpts>
At the outset of her segment, Maddow reminded viewers of the time that Helms, in a fit of pique over losing a legislative spat over the Confederate flag, harassed African-American Sen. Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) on of the Senate elevator by singing the Confederate anthem &#8220;Dixie&#8221; into her face. Moseley-Braun is the only African-American woman to have served in the Senate, and at the time was the Senate&#8217;s sole person of color.

The AP quoted Moseley-Braun, who said, &#8220;(H)e saw me standing there, and he started to sing, &#8216;I wish I was in the land of cotton&#8230;&#8217; And he looked at Sen. [Orrin] Hatch (R-UT) and said, &#8216;I&#8217;m going to make her cry. I&#8217;m going to sing &#8216;Dixie&#8217; until she cries.&#8217;&#8221;

&#8220;And I looked at him and said, &#8216;Sen. Helms, your singing would make me cry if you sang &#8216;Rock of Ages,&#8217;&#8221; Moseley-Braun recounted.

Helms was also the progenitor of the infamous &#8220;white hands&#8221; ad, a campaign ad aimed at Affirmative Action, in which a narrator intoned &#8220;You wanted that job, and you were the best qualified, but they had to give the job to a minority because of a racial quota,&#8221; while the camera showed a pair of white hands opening an employment rejection letter.

REALLY?​
It seems like that to you because you're an idiot. Helms loved tweaking guys like you, yanking their chain. There was the famous story where he rode in an elevator with some black female representative and started whistling Dixie.

Maddow smacks down Cruz for invoking vicious racist Sen. Jesse Helms | The Raw Story
<excerpts>
At the outset of her segment, Maddow reminded viewers of the time that Helms, in a fit of pique over losing a legislative spat over the Confederate flag, harassed African-American Sen. Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) on of the Senate elevator by singing the Confederate anthem “Dixie” into her face. Moseley-Braun is the only African-American woman to have served in the Senate, and at the time was the Senate’s sole person of color.

The AP quoted Moseley-Braun, who said, “(H)e saw me standing there, and he started to sing, ‘I wish I was in the land of cotton…’ And he looked at Sen. [Orrin] Hatch (R-UT) and said, ‘I’m going to make her cry. I’m going to sing ‘Dixie’ until she cries.’”

“And I looked at him and said, ‘Sen. Helms, your singing would make me cry if you sang ‘Rock of Ages,’” Moseley-Braun recounted.

Helms was also the progenitor of the infamous “white hands” ad, a campaign ad aimed at Affirmative Action, in which a narrator intoned “You wanted that job, and you were the best qualified, but they had to give the job to a minority because of a racial quota,” while the camera showed a pair of white hands opening an employment rejection letter.

Why anyone listens to that ugly dyke is beyond me.

Love him or hate him you always knew where this man stood. And as compared to so many politicians these days who only listen to poll numbers, Helms stood by his principles. And he took a lot of heat for some of his controversial stands.

But he didn't waiver.

In 2000, Bono sought out Jesse Helms to discuss increasing American aid to Africa. In Africa, AIDS is a disease that is primarily transmitted heterosexually, and Helms sympathized with Bono's description of "the pain it is bringing to infants and children and their families".

Helms insisted that Bono involve the international community and private sector, so that relief efforts would not be paid for by "just Americans".

Helms coauthored a bill authorizing $600 million for international AIDS relief efforts. In 2002, Helms announced that he was ashamed to have done so little during his Senate career to fight the worldwide spread of AIDS, and pledged to do more during his last few months in the Senate.

Jesse Helms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Forum List

Back