Terrorism is not a threat to our survival.

X

xen

Thats how I see it anyway.

Sure its a big concern, but fighting terrorism is easy. Dont fall into their fear strategy, and capture the leaders as an example.

Why are we focusing all our energy on fighting terrorists and anti-US factions in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Our biggest focus should be on the economy, and no the free market won't fix it.

xen said:

Sure its a big concern, but fighting terrorism is easy. Dont fall into their fear strategy, and capture the leaders as an example.

Why are we focusing all our energy on fighting terrorists and anti-US factions in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Our biggest focus should be on the economy, and no the free market won't fix it.

Your perceptions are off. If you consider events like 9/11 not a threat and growing, high employment economies bad, then your head isn't on straight.

"Terrorism is not a threat to our survival" - tell that to the Iraqi people, or the people who perished in England, Spain, New York, Oklahoma City, Bali nightclub, etc., etc., etc. What makes you so sure that you're not living where the terrorists will strike next?

xen said:

The phrase "fear strategy" is nothing but
an empty concoction used by opponents
of US anti-terror policies.

And listen, international polls show there
may be well over 100 million Muslims worldwide
who are sympathetic to terrorism. If only
one million actually take part in terrorist
behavior, then we have a really big problem,
and this problem is not reduced by the sure
fact the terrorists are seeking nuclear, chemical
and biological WMDs, and will use them as
soon as they attain them.

Some people might be stupid enough to sleep
peacefully at night with this knowledge; I never will.

We are certainly trying to capture terrorist
leaders, and several have been caught, and
more will be caught.

xen said:
Because, obviously, those are the locations
of the the largest concentration of terrorists.

xen said:
The economy is secondary to political stability
without which no form of economy can prosper.

rtwngAvngr said:
Your perceptions are off. If you consider events like 9/11 not a threat and growing, high employment economies bad, then your head isn't on straight.
Well, sorry. No, I don't believe we are going to be overrun by millions of enemy terrorists.
If you think that these terrorists are a threat to this country's SURVIVAL, your scared shitless and they win. nice job. It shouldnt be our main focus.

what did i say about high employment economies? Nothing, so im guessing you think our economy is great because we have so many jobs. You dont hear the sucking sound? Oh wow.

Jobs are not the issue really. Everyone has a job. Some of us have three just to put food on the table. Slaves have many jobs.
The issue is having good jobs, the kind that get your kids through school, have a family, retirement.. those are the good jobs.

xen said:
Well, sorry. No, I don't believe we are going to be overrun by millions of enemy terrorists.
If you think that these terrorists are a threat to this country's SURVIVAL, your scared shitless and they win. nice job. It shouldnt be our main focus.

what did i say about high employment economies? Nothing, so im guessing you think our economy is great because we have so many jobs. You dont hear the sucking sound? Oh wow.

Jobs are not the issue really. Everyone has a job. Some of us have three just to put food on the table. Slaves have many jobs.
The issue is having good jobs, the kind that get your kids through school, have a family, retirement.. those are the good jobs.

How about a list of "good jobs" and "bad jobs" - there are countless people out there who will tell you that they had a crappy job but were able to send their kids to college, etc.

I am curious to know you definition of good and bad jobs.

Adam's Apple said:
"Terrorism is not a threat to our survival" - tell that to the Iraqi people, or the people who perished in England, Spain, New York, Oklahoma City, Bali nightclub, etc., etc., etc. What makes you so sure that you're not living where the terrorists will strike next?
Umm, since when did these terrorist strikes threaten our country's existance?
They don't. Only our leaders can destroy this country.

Heh, if this country dealt with terrorism the same way as the oklahoma city bombing. We would have binladen, his group, and his mentor. Now they dont even care about capture binladen.

9/11 shouldnt have even happened anyway...how many warnings did we get dozens and dozens? Oh and our leaders say "nobody could have imagined"...rriiiight.

USViking said:
The phrase "fear strategy" is nothing but
an empty concoction used by opponents
of US anti-terror policies.

Fear strategy is what they are using...thats why they call it TERRORISM. They want us to act a certain way after they attack, thats the point, or they wouldnt do it.
When you say the fear strategy is an empty concoction. Thats just, blind.

And listen, international polls show there
may be well over 100 million Muslims worldwide
who are sympathetic to terrorism. If only
one million actually take part in terrorist
behavior, then we have a really big problem,
and this problem is not reduced by the sure
fact the terrorists are seeking nuclear, chemical
and biological WMDs, and will use them as
soon as they attain them.
Wow, your greatest enemy. I wonder how many terrorists would be created if you kill 100 million terrorists. a Billion?

You know how many would sympathize with terrorists if we were not in iraq/afghan/saudi arabia? alot.

To the reich wing, seems occupying shithole cities in the desert is more important than supporting our troops.(their wellbeing)

Some people might be stupid enough to sleep
peacefully at night with this knowledge; I never will.
Most people with delusions dont sleep much. "they commin to get me!!"

We are certainly trying to capture terrorist
leaders, and several have been caught, and
more will be caught.
Yes, you're correct. But we are creating terrorists faster than we can kill them off.

Because, obviously, those are the locations
of the the largest concentration of terrorists.
So we do exactly what the terrorists want, fight them on their ground.
And we did what binladen promised his people and the masses.

The economy is secondary to political stability
without which no form of economy can prosper.
No, you're doing total reverse thinking. we can't fight wars without strong economy, if we do, we destroying ourselves.

GotZoom said:
How about a list of "good jobs" and "bad jobs" - there are countless people out there who will tell you that they had a crappy job but were able to send their kids to college, etc.

I am curious to know you definition of good and bad jobs.

I dont want to go too far off topic here.
A good job is something you can raise kids on, have a home, and retirement. Everything else, is rubbish.
The american dream mostly.

xen said:
I dont want to go too far off topic here.
A good job is something you can raise kids, have a home, and retirement. Everything else, is rubbish.

You made the statement - therefore, it's not off topic.

Is McDonald's a good job? Trash collector for the city?

Server at Chili's?

Bad job is.... ?

xen said:

Sure terrorism is a big threat. However I thought the US overreacted to 9/11 and handed the terrorists a much bigger victory than if we would have kept a stiff upper lip. They tweaked our sense of entitlement and we let it wreck our economy.

xen said:
Umm, since when did these terrorist strikes threaten our country's existance?
They don't. Only our leaders can destroy this country.
Nuclear WMDs could easlily threaten our existence,
and it is 100% certain the terrorists are seeking to attain them.

xen said:
Heh, if this country dealt with terrorism the same way as the oklahoma city bombing. We would have binladen, his group, and his mentor. Now they dont even care about capture binladen.
The number of US citizens who would contemplate
an Oklahoma city bombing may never have been any
greater than the original Oklahoma City bombers themselves.

As I told you earlier, there may be millions of actual
and potential Muslim terrorists worldwide who would
do worse if they attained the means.

xen said:
9/11 shouldnt have even happened anyway...how many warnings did we get dozens and dozens? Oh and our leaders say "nobody could have imagined"...rriiiight.
We got no warnings anyone was plotting to fly
airplanes into buildings. There was evidence
that could have led us to believe someone might.

GotZoom said:
You made the statement - therefore, it's not off topic.

Is McDonald's a good job? Trash collector for the city?

Server at Chili's?

Bad job is.... ?
A bad job would be service sector jobs, they blow, need 2 or 3 of them to survive, and even then you wont have benefits. These types of jobs are what most americans have.

Nuc, I agree mostly. But let me put it this way.

The way we reacted, gave these terrorists credibility. Like they are a fighting chance against the great usa .
When in reality..they're bunch of psycho criminals, very small group.

Anybody could have dont what they did.
when taking flight school...they told their instructors they only wanted to learn how to take off. the instructors got suspicious, called the authorities.
the warnings get lost...just like the memo, and the fbi agents who were very worried. It was extremely easy for them in these post reagan days.

Nuc said:
Sure terrorism is a big threat. However I thought the US overreacted to 9/11 and handed the terrorists a much bigger victory than if we would have kept a stiff upper lip. They tweaked our sense of entitlement and we let it wreck our economy.
Interesting concept. What do you think the reaction of the United States should have been after 9/11?

USViking said:
The number of US citizens who would contemplate
an Oklahoma city bombing may never have been any
greater than the original Oklahoma City bombers themselves.

Actually you are dead wrong..the reason mcveigh bombed the oklahoma building is because he believed that clinton would take away many of our rights, overreact in many ways. So that all the good christians would rise up and take this country back. Clinton didnt, and they didnt.

We got no warnings anyone was plotting to fly
airplanes into buildings. There was evidence
that could have led us to believe someone might.
actually yes we did. If you were told that terrorists were going to hijack airplanes and target US cities, what would they target in these cities? hello!

CSM said:
Interesting concept. What do you think the reaction of the United States should have been after 9/11?
We should have destroyed the terrorist group and shown the world what happens when you mess with the USA.
AND DONT OVERREACT!! its what they want, thats why they do it.

xen said:
A bad job would be service sector jobs, they blow, need 2 or 3 of them to survive, and even then you wont have benefits. These types of jobs are what most americans have.

Careful who you lump into that category.

The “service sector” constitutes 71 percent of all U.S. employment. It encompasses all workers not involved in agriculture, mining, manufacturing, and construction, i.e., the “goods producing” industries. It includes a range of activities such as legal services, motion pictures, automotive repair, and computer software. Under this broad definition, the service sector includes transportation, real estate, trade, communications, and finance industries, as well as its largest component called the “services industry.” The services industry itself makes up 36 percent of all employment–about half of all service sector jobs–and includes health care workers, computer programmers, and advertising agents. Whether one looks at the service sector or just the services industry, the number of jobs paying above the median wage exceeds those paying below the median wage, and is increasing at a more rapid rate.

In the overall service sector, higher-paying jobs now exceed lower-paying jobs, increasing from 47 percent of all service sector jobs in July 1993 to 51 percent in July 1999. This occurred because higher-paying jobs grew at a substantially faster rate than lower-paying jobs, 21 percent versus 5 percent. Similarly, in the narrower services industry category, the percentage of higher-paying jobs rose from 53 percent to 57 percent during this same period, with higher-paying jobs growing by 26 percent and lower-paying jobs by only 8 percent.

Within the services industry, the growth in higher wages is due to substantial increases in the executive, administrative, and managerial, professional specialty, and technicians and related support job categories, which saw growth rates between 19 and 34 percent. The broader service sector saw strong growth in these same job categories, as well as substantial growth in higher-paying other service occupations (33 percent). (See Figure.) Additionally, there was a tremendous increase in lower-paying technicians and related support jobs, around 50 percent. However, this is the only lower-paying job category that saw an increase of more than 10 percent in the broader service sector.

In general, lower-paying jobs experienced much more modest growth in the services industry than in the overall service sector. The sales occupation category is a notable exception. It increased by approximately 30 percent in the services industry, but only increased 10 percent in the broader service sector where there was also an increase in the higher-paying sales occupation job category. Additionally, both categories saw a significant decrease in lower-paying farming, forestry, and fishing occupations, 15 percent in the services industry and 18 percent in the service sector.

Clearly the notion that most service sector jobs pay poorly is wrong. It is also incorrect to believe that most new jobs fall into this category. More than half of all jobs in the service sector currently pay above the median wage and most new jobs pay above the median wage. Lower-paying “hamburger-flipping” jobs continue to grow, but executive and professional jobs paying higher wages are growing faster.

http://www.epf.org/pubs/newsletters/1999/et991014.asp

xen said:
We should have destroyed the terrorist group and shown the world what happens when you mess with the USA.
AND DONT OVERREACT!! its what they want, thats why they do it.

Do you mean the individuals that actually flew the planes or the organization that supported their efforts? For the most part, the members of the cell that flew the planes went down with their ship, so to speak. Al Quaeda as an organization was hiding out in various countries like Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, etc. So which country would YOU have invaded to get the terrorist group?

GotZoom said:
Clearly the notion that most service sector jobs pay poorly is wrong. It is also incorrect to believe that most new jobs fall into this category. More than half of all jobs in the service sector currently pay above the median wage and most new jobs pay above the median wage. Lower-paying “hamburger-flipping” jobs continue to grow, but executive and professional jobs paying higher wages are growing faster.

Actually, ive had a 'high end' service sector job, logistics...didnt pay well. sorry.

How bout the robber barons, thats a bad job! Naughty corporate royalists.

xen said:
Actually, ive had a 'high end' service sector job, logistics...didnt pay well. sorry.

How bout the robber barons, thats a bad job! Naughty corporate royalists.

Perhaps you worked at the wrong place.

I am an an Auditor for a company in the Financial Services field and am paid quite well.

As are our employees.

It isn't the job, it's the company.

Forum List

Back