Terrorist suspended from school

Student Suspended Over Camping ToolAOL News
posted: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES AGOcomments: 837filed under: National News

(Oct. 12) -- Zachary Christie, 6, was happy about joining the Cub Scouts and was excited about a new camping utensil that functions as a spoon, fork and knife -- so excited that he took the tool to school to use it at lunch.
But the Newark, Del., boy's enthusiasm got him kicked out of school for violating a zero-tolerance policy on weapons, The New York Times reported.

School Suspends First-Grade Student Zachary Christie Over Camping Utensil

Oh my God, a six year old brought a pocket knife to school. Maybe they should just expell the kid for life. When are people going to wake up and demand that these zero tolerance polices be shelved?

There's not a damn thing wrong with a zero tolerance policy regarding weapons. What is wrong is not allowing teachers/administrators to use their common sense and expertise to differentiate between a camping tool and a switchblade... and the intent of the kid carrying it. And even if they decide that this spork can't be allowed, take the kid aside. Acknowledge how cool it is, let him show how it's used, praise him for his interest in scouts and camping and such. Then explain simply why he can't have it at school; kids aren't stupid, they can be reasoned with and understand that there is a place for things like that and school just isn't one of 'em. Dear Lord. It's not that difficult to use a little compassion.

This stuff pisses me off.

It's no damn wonder kids end up hating school. Smacking down a child at that age who shows enthusiasm for something that is actually a positive is abuse, IMO.

Student Suspended Over Camping ToolAOL News
posted: 1 HOUR 25 MINUTES AGOcomments: 837filed under: National News

(Oct. 12) -- Zachary Christie, 6, was happy about joining the Cub Scouts and was excited about a new camping utensil that functions as a spoon, fork and knife -- so excited that he took the tool to school to use it at lunch.
But the Newark, Del., boy's enthusiasm got him kicked out of school for violating a zero-tolerance policy on weapons, The New York Times reported.

School Suspends First-Grade Student Zachary Christie Over Camping Utensil

Oh my God, a six year old brought a pocket knife to school. Maybe they should just expell the kid for life. When are people going to wake up and demand that these zero tolerance polices be shelved?

There's not a damn thing wrong with a zero tolerance policy regarding weapons. What is wrong is not allowing teachers/administrators to use their common sense and expertise to differentiate between a camping tool and a switchblade... and the intent of the kid carrying it. And even if they decide that this spork can't be allowed, take the kid aside. Acknowledge how cool it is, let him show how it's used, praise him for his interest in scouts and camping and such. Then explain simply why he can't have it at school; kids aren't stupid, they can be reasoned with and understand that there is a place for things like that and school just isn't one of 'em. Dear Lord. It's not that difficult to use a little compassion.

This stuff pisses me off.

It's no damn wonder kids end up hating school. Smacking down a child at that age who shows enthusiasm for something that is actually a positive is abuse, IMO.

Exactly!

There's not a damn thing wrong with a zero tolerance policy regarding weapons. What is wrong is not allowing teachers/administrators to use their common sense and expertise to differentiate between a camping tool and a switchblade... and the intent of the kid carrying it.

:confused:

If you don't see the obvious contradiction between your first and second sentences, then you don't actually understand what "zero tolerance" means.

Also let it be known that the MSM is clearly racist for not sensationalizing this story. Just imagine the outrage we would see if it were a 6 year old black kid that was unjustly suspended.

liberals are so fucked up. 45 days in reform school for a six year old who brings cub scout tools to school didn't threaten anybody,,, yesss, and the kids who beat the shit out of the other kid on the school bus won't spend a day in "reform school. Liberals are so fucked up.

liberals are so fucked up. 45 days in reform school for a six year old who brings cub scout tools to school didn't threaten anybody,,, yesss, and the kids who beat the shit out of the other kid on the school bus won't spend a day in "reform school. Liberals are so fucked up.
Liberals? Zero tolerance laws are the result of those freaks in Colorado...it's got nothing to do with liberals or conservatives, for that matter.

Screwball.

Liberals? Zero tolerance laws are the result of those freaks in Colorado...it's got nothing to do with liberals or conservatives, for that matter.

Screwball.

leberals run the schools ravi.

There's not a damn thing wrong with a zero tolerance policy regarding weapons. What is wrong is not allowing teachers/administrators to use their common sense and expertise to differentiate between a camping tool and a switchblade... and the intent of the kid carrying it.
If you don't see the obvious contradiction between your first and second sentences, then you don't actually understand what "zero tolerance" means.

That's not a contradiction at all. Zero tolerance to kids bringing weapons to school isn't a bad thing. What's rotten is the blanket punishment doled out to all regardless of the item and intent of the child.

Screwball.

Liberals are the Law & Order crowd now? Liberals are the "don't try to understand them, just punish them" crowd now?

That's not a contradiction at all. Zero tolerance to kids bringing weapons to school isn't a bad thing. What's rotten is the blanket punishment doled out to all regardless of the item and intent of the child.

Like I said, you need to educate yourself about how zero tolerance policies work. They eliminate any flexibility for discretion and therefore can hamstring common sense. It is PRECISELY the zero tolerance policy being followed that has led to this circumstance.

Like I said, you need to educate yourself about how zero tolerance policies work. They eliminate any flexibility for discretion and therefore can hamstring common sense. It is PRECISELY the zero tolerance policy being followed that has led to this circumstance.

I was looking at it as zero tolerance for the weapons being in the schools; I'm not sure what you describe is the case everywhere. While reading this story and googling other links to it, I saw where some places have the 'zero tolerance' policy but allow the response to be on a case by case basis. That is what I would support. I think we're probably on the same page here, btw.

I'd say age would be a factor in this case also. I don't know how many six year olds have committed murder at school with their cub scout tools.

Every zero tolerance policy I've ever heard of includes some form of mandatory punishment. That's the whole point as I understand it.... ZERO tolerance.

I'm pretty sure they don't need any special policies to legally suspend a kid who shows up with a glock or a machete.

I'd say age would be a factor in this case also. I don't know how many six year olds have committed murder at school with their cub scout tools.

Oh. I thought I included age in that post LOL

I meant to...

Damn these senior moments anywho.

You'd be surprised In NJ, a knife has to have a 3"? Blade to be considered a weapon. The new gang thibng is to slice people with razor blades. Not a weapon unless they use it.

Zero tolerance for guns is a federal law. One year suspension. In Jersey that means private tutoring on the taxpayer dime.

it is a total shame that the school systems now treat kids as if they are the enemy. poor little thing...all proud of his new tool...and what happens...he is cast out....

its not a liberal issue...its an issue of common sense.

You're right and my guess is if the parents fight this they will win. No.judge wants to put a 6 year old in jail. In the mean time I imagine he could be enrolled in a private school.

This is one of those stories that makes me believe that I grew up in the last age of common sense.

If I were growing up and going to school now, I'd be screwed.

Many at my school carried pocket knives (with the clip part showing no less) and it wasnt uncommon for some hunters to hunt early in the morning and go to school with their firearm all wrapped up in the cab of their trucks.

One buddy of mine had his vehicle searched during a lockdown because he had both spent and unspent shotgun shells in his trunk. Nowadays, he'd a been kicked out in a heartbeat.

Forum List

Back