The Banking Collapse of 2023 is now bigger than the 2008 “banking crisis”

I don't know if you noticed, or if you are suffering from amnesia of recent history, but the 2008 collapse was global.

What's more, if you look at the list of banks which failed in 2008, you will not see Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, or AIG on that list. Because they weren't banks, and yet they were the primary drivers of the economic collapse.

Complicating things even more where the endless trillions of derivatives on the books of these broker-dealers out there. No one knew what their counterparty risk was any more and so credit froze up, leading to a liquidity crisis.

And this was GLOBAL.

So we aren't even in the same ballpark as 2008.
That’s because the Europeans were smart enough to learn from previous mistakes.
They go through great lengths to ensure housing bubbles don’t happen. They require large downpayment for a home purchase.

But we continue to let a bunch of petulant children and radical leftwing extremists run our banking industry and the Fed.

But hey, I guess if only US banks fail, we’re okay. I’m sure the Europeans and CCP will bail us out.

The 'experts' didn't see 2008 coming until it was already happening. Pardon me if I distrust the 'experts.'
Some did. President George W. Bush told Congress more than 20 times that they needed to act as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac got more and more into trouble. But Chris Dodd and Barney Frank, both on the financial services committee pushed for easing of credit to more risky borrowers, denied a housing bubble was being created, kept going on CNN or wherever saying that both were perfectly solid and there was no problem.

With every passing year, I find myself more and more in agreement with Michael Lewis that banks should never have gone public.
I think that the repeal of Glass Steagall was the clear turning point. That's when the banks went fully out of control, and Lewis' book and movie would never have happened. Those fucked up, unregulated and under-regulated derivatives would never have happened.

Those derivatives (and a few other things) literally led to the Meltdown, which literally led to the massive Fed interference, which literally led to the resulting inflation, which literally led to these bank collapses. Every fucking step along the way came from that repeal. A domino effect.

Last edited:
No one dislikes unregulated out of control derivatives more than me.

The 2008 crisis was primarily driven by the broker-dealers and AIG, not the banks, though banks certainly played a part.

FDIC is run by the government but funded by insurance premiums paid by the banks.
yet i'm reading it's limitations....
I think that the repeal of Glass Steagall was the clear turning point.

Those derivatives (and a few other things) literally led to the Meltdown, which literally led to the massive Fed interference, which literally led to the resulting inflation, which literally led to these bank collapses. Every fucking step along the way came from that repeal. A domino effect.

To my limited understanding , derivatives along with similar fiscval instruments designed to bet on failure are the problem......

CDS.gif

the magnitude of which far exceeds any insurance or quasi government agencies ability to deal with>
saupload_Derivative-bomb.png

Glass Steagal's nearly century old protectants were thrown under the buss , and here we are....

~S~

Yet everyone is just acting as though nothing is wrong.

$532 billion in assets for the three banks failed so far, which is more than the $526 billion combined from the 25+ banks that failed in 2008.

This is why the Feds' plan to 'fight inflation' is a complete scam; they're going to print yet another $3-$4 trillion to bail out banks and Wall Street, like they've been doing since the 1960's. Biden's flunkies have already said they are going to pay out claim far greater than the FDIC's $250,000 limit insurance policies call for, to make a lot of billionaires whole. You little people can wait.

Some did. President George W. Bush told Congress more than 20 times that they needed to act as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac got more and more into trouble. But Chris Dodd and Barney Frank, both on the financial services committee pushed for easing of credit to more risky borrowers, denied a housing bubble was being created, kept going on CNN or wherever saying that both were perfectly solid and there was no problem.
Those asses hurt a lot of people. Warning signs galore. People with families stuck in the middle and they took the hit with the irresponsible. Affecting many for the rest of their lives.

yet i'm reading it's limitations....

To my limited understanding , derivatives along with similar fiscval instruments designed to bet on failure are the problem......

CDS.gif

the magnitude of which far exceeds any insurance or quasi government agencies ability to deal with>
saupload_Derivative-bomb.png

Glass Steagal's nearly century old protectants were thrown under the buss , and here we are....

~S~

When AIG failed, a lot of those bets were never paid off. Read The Big Short for some of those who called the collapse but still lost out. Others made billions.

This is why the Feds' plan to 'fight inflation' is a complete scam; they're going to print yet another $3-$4 trillion to bail out banks and Wall Street, like they've been doing since the 1960's. Biden's flunkies have already said they are going to pay out claim far greater than the FDIC's $250,000 limit insurance policies call for, to make a lot of billionaires whole. You little people can wait.

~S~

When AIG failed, a lot of those bets were never paid off. Read The Big Short for some of those who called the collapse but still lost out. Others made billions.

i'm a rather simple man Dudley , so i simply subscribe to 'the house never looses' , albeit i can appreciate the details......~S~

I think that the repeal of Glass Steagall was the clear turning point. That's when the banks went fully out of control, and Lewis' book and movie would never have happened. Those fucked up, unregulated and under-regulated derivatives would never have happened.

The owners of the Federal Reserve which is a privately owned bank that orders the U.S. treasury to print money, were stalwarts at the time the Federal Reserve Act was passed in 1913 saying there would be no more recessions and depressions as fiat currencies were so much better than gold and silver backed ones which are called barbarous relics. The Federal Reserve caused the Great Depression by tightening the money supply like a vice in 1929 after greasing the wheels for a decade and causing the Roaring Twenties. Today we have safeguards and levels of social programs that buffer any decline up to now.

What will happen to Dodd-Frank under Trump's executive ...​

1683113151852.png
Brookings Institution
https://www.brookings.edu › up-front › 2017/02/06

Feb 6, 2017 — U.S. President Donald Trump signs his first executive orders in the ... requirements for banks trading derivatives issued by the banking ...

Trump signs bill easing U.S. bank rules into law​

1683112826822.png

Reuters
Reuters | Breaking International News & Views › us-usa-trump-dodd-frank
May 24, 2018 — U.S. President Donald Trump signed into law on Thursday a bill that would ease rules on most banks for the first time since the 2007-2009 ...

U.S. President Donald Trump signed into law on Thursday a bill that would ease rules on most banks for the first time since the 2007-2009 financial crisis.

The legislation eases regulations on all but a handful of the nation’s largest banks, and marks a significant victory in Trump’s efforts to cut rules in a bid to spur economic growth.

The legislation eases oversight of all banks below $250 billion in assets, and exempts small community banks from a host of stricter rules and oversight established by the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial reform law.

“The legislation I’m signing today rolls back the crippling Dodd-Frank regulations that are crushing small banks,” Trump said at the bill signing.

After passing legislation to ease bank rules, Congress may consider an additional package of bills aimed at relaxing securities laws to make it easier for companies to raise capital.

The exact cause of the 2008 banking collapse, deregulation.

Biden calls to revive tighter bank regulations that Trump ...​

1683112874312.png
PBS
https://www.pbs.org › newshour › politics › biden-call...

Mar 30, 2023 — Weeks after the failure of two banks, President Joe Biden is calling for independent regulatory agencies to impose tighter rules on the ...

Silicon Valley Bank gave company-wide bonuses hours ...​

1683113275288.png
Fox Business
https://www.foxbusiness.com › politics › silicon-valley...

Mar 12, 2023 — Silicon Valley Bank employees received their annual bonuses on Friday just hours before the government took control of the company, ...

Take The Money And Run - The Steve Miller Band (Lyrics + HQ)​

YouTube › watch

No, the blame is squarely on the mismanaged banks.

This happened in the 70s, too. When interest rates rose back then, a lot of banks went under.

It's simple economics. Low interest long term loans will kill you when interest rates go up if you aren't careful. Every time.
Mismanagement of the banks? Bullshit when the government mandates that banks make loans to low income people..

Correct, in that that's how they were used in this context. And it gets much worse.

Credit Default Swaps are essentially an insurance policy. BUT, normal insurance requires the issuer to maintain huge cash reserves in case the shit hits the fan. It's the prudent and obvious thing to do, and regulators keep a close eye on it for good reason.

The cash reserves that were required for a CDS? ZERO. NONE. So companies like AIG were writing these swaps with NOTHING to back them up. But they did like those FEES they were getting for them. AND, over the begging of CLTC Chairwoman Brooksley Born, Alan Greenspan REFUSED to regulate many of those things. He would later admit to Congress that he had FUCKED UP.

That's yet another example of why regulations are not the bane of capitalism. They are a CRITICAL COMPONENT of capitalism.

Last edited:
Yep, if you ignore the losses by Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, and AIG from 2008, it is larger.
$532 billion in assets > $526 billion

Math doesn't lie...well...I guess the dembots consider it racist...but it doesn't lie

$532 billion in assets > $526 billion

Math doesn't lie...well...I guess the dembots consider it racist...but it doesn't lie

The 532B does not include Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, and AIG

Some did. President George W. Bush told Congress more than 20 times that they needed to act as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac got more and more into trouble.

No he didn't.

But Chris Dodd and Barney Frank, both on the financial services committee pushed for easing of credit to more risky borrowers, denied a housing bubble was being created, kept going on CNN or wherever saying that both were perfectly solid and there was no problem.

Bush pushed for expanded housing also.

President Calls for Expanding Opportunities to Home Ownership

Some of us pay attention.

Forum List

Back