the carrier deal...the devil is in the details...

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
While the agreement is obviously good news for the workers who’ll keep their jobs, let’s not lose sight of the relevant details Donald Trump doesn’t want to talk about.

1. Carrier jobs are still moving to Mexico. While the company will receive $7 million in taxpayer money to keep roughly 800 jobs in Indiana, the Wall Street Journal reports that Carrier “still plans to move 600 jobs from the Carrier plant to Mexico,” plus moving another 700 other jobs that will be lost when it closes a separate plant in Huntington, Ind. In other words, under Trump’s alleged triumph, the one that will teach a valuable lesson to American companies, Carrier is shipping 1,300 jobs from Indiana to Mexico, even as receives millions of dollars from the state.

2. This is the exact opposite of what Trump said he’d do. As a presidential candidate, Trump mocked government efforts to keep employers stateside with grants, tax incentives, and low-interest loans. Candidate Trump said that approach “doesn’t work,” which is why he’d use a stick rather than a carrot: “What you do is you tell them, ‘You move to Mexico, you`re going to pay a 35 percent tax bringing these products that you make in Mexico back into the country.’”

Except, with Carrier, Trump’s doing exactly what he promised not to do, ignoring the solution he assured voters would work “easily.”
discussed yesterday, paying off companies that threaten to ship jobs out of the country is not the basis for a sustainable, national manufacturing strategy. On the contrary, it creates a problematic set of incentives: if companies are led to believe the government will give them money to stay in the United States, every employer, whether they have outsourcing plans or not, will have a strong incentive to routinely call up the Trump White House and say, “Give us a sweet, taxpayer-financed deal or we’re out of here.”

4. Beware of unknown incentives. We know about the $7 million. We don’t know for certain whether there are any as-yet-unreported parts of the deal. The Wall Street Journal piece added the federal government is an important customer for Carrier’s corporate parent, United Technologies: “The U.S. military accounts for about 10% of United Technologies’ $56 billion in annual sales, for products like the engine for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.”
Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, the top Democrat on the Finance Committee, said he would be asking more about the Carrier deal and said he would inquire whether there were promises about defense contracts.

“I want to know whether the president-elect promised special federal tax breaks for a single company,” Mr. Wyden said Thursday. “I want to do everything I can to keep jobs in the United States, but there are some questions here.”
5. Conservatives should be howling: I’m so old, I remember when conservatives were disgusted with the idea of politicians using government money to pick “winners and losers.” Apparently, the right didn’t mean it.

Again, I’m happy for those Hoosiers who’ll keep their jobs. I also understand the benefits of a political p.r. campaign in which Trump hails himself as a hero for effectively bribing Carrier to only lay off some of its Indiana workforce.

But the details shouldn’t be swept under the rug because they’re politically inconvenient for Donald Trump.

The parts of the Carrier deal Trump doesn't want to talk about

LOL.

It must fry your brain that he managed to save some jobs. How pathetic. Instead of praising him for what he managed to accomplish, you attack him for what he failed to.

Only shows that liberals like you will never be satisfied with what he does. Ironic, too, that you are more concerned with him keeping his promises than you ever were with Obama.

at what cost did he manage to save jobs.....and what did you care about saving something you dont want ....lol what a fucking joke....a jobless moocher caring about the tax funds...o wait you dont pay taxes....again you are a free loader who doesnt do shit while acting like you are the man when you arent much of anything...basement dweller...

Trump didn't do anything, by the way.

Only Pence has the authority to give the taxpayers' money to Carrier.

Of course Trump is taking full credit for it though.

at what cost did he manage to save jobs.....and what did you care about saving something you dont want ....lol what a fucking joke....a jobless moocher caring about the tax funds...o wait you dont pay taxes....again you are a free loader who doesnt do shit while acting like you are the man when you arent much of anything...basement dweller...
See, you're too pathetic to debate me up front. All you have to cling to is that three year old insult. I'm way past that now.

Just because I don't have a job doesn't mean I don't care about those that do have one.

Besides, we're on fat jokes now. Get with the program, bones.

Last edited:
Oh, you don't have a job, and haven't had one in three years? Typical know nothing 'Conservative'. This old lib has a job, and is 73 years old. And makes very good money.

The program that you idiots are pushing is ignoring real facts, and living in the same alternative universe that Trump does. The idiot will crash the economy in less than half the time that it took Bush. And you will try to blame the Dems, as you sit and suck up the welfare.

While the agreement is obviously good news for the workers who’ll keep their jobs, let’s not lose sight of the relevant details Donald Trump doesn’t want to talk about.

1. Carrier jobs are still moving to Mexico. While the company will receive $7 million in taxpayer money to keep roughly 800 jobs in Indiana, the Wall Street Journal reports that Carrier “still plans to move 600 jobs from the Carrier plant to Mexico,” plus moving another 700 other jobs that will be lost when it closes a separate plant in Huntington, Ind. In other words, under Trump’s alleged triumph, the one that will teach a valuable lesson to American companies, Carrier is shipping 1,300 jobs from Indiana to Mexico, even as receives millions of dollars from the state.

2. This is the exact opposite of what Trump said he’d do. As a presidential candidate, Trump mocked government efforts to keep employers stateside with grants, tax incentives, and low-interest loans. Candidate Trump said that approach “doesn’t work,” which is why he’d use a stick rather than a carrot: “What you do is you tell them, ‘You move to Mexico, you`re going to pay a 35 percent tax bringing these products that you make in Mexico back into the country.’”

Except, with Carrier, Trump’s doing exactly what he promised not to do, ignoring the solution he assured voters would work “easily.”
discussed yesterday, paying off companies that threaten to ship jobs out of the country is not the basis for a sustainable, national manufacturing strategy. On the contrary, it creates a problematic set of incentives: if companies are led to believe the government will give them money to stay in the United States, every employer, whether they have outsourcing plans or not, will have a strong incentive to routinely call up the Trump White House and say, “Give us a sweet, taxpayer-financed deal or we’re out of here.”

4. Beware of unknown incentives. We know about the $7 million. We don’t know for certain whether there are any as-yet-unreported parts of the deal. The Wall Street Journal piece added the federal government is an important customer for Carrier’s corporate parent, United Technologies: “The U.S. military accounts for about 10% of United Technologies’ $56 billion in annual sales, for products like the engine for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.”
Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, the top Democrat on the Finance Committee, said he would be asking more about the Carrier deal and said he would inquire whether there were promises about defense contracts.

“I want to know whether the president-elect promised special federal tax breaks for a single company,” Mr. Wyden said Thursday. “I want to do everything I can to keep jobs in the United States, but there are some questions here.”
5. Conservatives should be howling: I’m so old, I remember when conservatives were disgusted with the idea of politicians using government money to pick “winners and losers.” Apparently, the right didn’t mean it.

Again, I’m happy for those Hoosiers who’ll keep their jobs. I also understand the benefits of a political p.r. campaign in which Trump hails himself as a hero for effectively bribing Carrier to only lay off some of its Indiana workforce.

But the details shouldn’t be swept under the rug because they’re politically inconvenient for Donald Trump.

What would you rather have
A state making a deal with a company that employs people or the fedral government giving 500 million in cash to a shady solar startup that took the money and moved to fucking China?

about 7000 dollars a job

unlike obamas attempt throwing around a million dollars per job

LOL.

It must fry your brain that he managed to save some jobs. How pathetic. Instead of praising him for what he managed to accomplish, you attack him for what he failed to.

Only shows that liberals like you will never be satisfied with what he does. Ironic, too, that you are more concerned with him keeping his promises than you ever were with Obama.
He is punishing the company for relocating to Mexico with a 7 million dollar tax break. That will show them. Well done.

LOL.

He is punishing the company for relocating to Mexico with a 7 million dollar tax break. That will show them. Well done.
So what would you rather have

A company that makes a deal with a state for a conditional 7 million dollar tax break spread out over a number of years and stays in the country or the federal government handing half a billion in cash to a shady solar start up that takes the money and runs to fucking China?

about 7000 dollars a job

when you spread it out over the 10 years

then around 700 dollars a year per job

...........the devil is in the bumpy cucumber ( another one ) progressives just got this week. Politically...........GIGANTIC win!! In fact, in social media, the predominant line is, "Holy fuck....the guy isn't even in office and doing big shit!!":2up::bye1::bye1:

the "details"........:coffee:

LOL.

So what would you rather have

A company that makes a deal with a state for a conditional 7 million dollar tax break spread out over a number of years and stays in the country or the federal government handing half a billion in cash to a shady solar start up that takes the money and runs to fucking China?
Neither. If he is going to get tough, get tough.

about 7000 dollars a job

Great point and that is a fact.......you go look at what the government workers ( all Obama voters...............duh ) started making after 2009. Obscene..........but just fine with the progressives because, well.........:bye1:

Say what you want; Its refreshing to see the highest elected official out front on something like this that directly effects a lot of families.

Its a clear-cut case of what he is willing to do that Obama is not. What if Carrier had basically told him to “screw off”. Not good to have starting off your Presidency. Obama could have taken the risk also…with nothing to lose.

Here’s the thing. This is a clear cut case. A video of the guy at the plant saying the jobs are going and now they are not (at least some of them). Will Trump do the same thing to save the jobs of oystermen in Louisiana when Carraba’s starts buying their oysters from Mexico instead? The only announcement (if any) will be made when they subtly change the words “Louisiana” and replace it with the word “Gulf” from their menu…

I hope so.

Again, refreshing to see elected officials out front on this.

You pretty much said it all right from the get go. Worker on tv praising trump for saving their handful of jobs. That's pretty much all repubs are gonna remember about this. While forgetting all about the 9 million manufacturing jobs credited to President Obama.

Liberals arguing the benefit of Trump and Pence saving 1100 jobs for middle class Americans instead of giving them to Mexicans. And they wonder why they lost all branches of government due to states like Michigan, Wisconsin, PA and Ohio.

Forum List

Back