The Death of the American Pension

401K's are voluntary. I work in HR for an organization of 3,663 people. The number of people participating in a 401K is actually pretty low as percentage of total employees. That percentage shifts radically depending on the level of EE. Low level EEs have very few 401K and participation increases as salaries increase.
My former employer set up all employees with a 401K plan, the name changed from "TDRP" (tax deferred retirement plan), my plan, to "TDSP" (savings plan) for employees hired after 1998.

All employees receive the $1500 max contribution every year, provided they were not on medical leave. It is up to each employee to contribute further each year, and no one is telling these young kids how important it is. Most don't have a clue.

My former employer set up all employees with a 401K plan, the name changed from "TDRP" (tax deferred retirement plan), my plan to TDSP (savings plan) for employees hired after 1998.

All employees receive the $1500 max contribution every year, provided they were not on medical leave. It is up to each employee to contribute, and no one is telling these young kids how important it is. Most don't have a clue.

Right now in my company you are automatically enrolled in 401k, and the minimum contribution is 6%, enough to get the 3% match.

You have to make an effort to get out of it.

Right now in my company you are automatically enrolled in 401k, and the minimum contribution is 6%, enough to get the 3% match.

You have to make an effort to get out of it.
That sounds exactly like my former employers plan, I'm pretty sure they pump in the max contribution to every ones plan of $1,500 whether they put anything in or not, because when I paused mine I was still getting the match every year.

That sounds exactly like my former employers plan, I'm pretty sure they pump in the max contribution to every ones plan of $1,500 whether they put anything in or not, because when I paused mine I was still getting the match every year.

My max contribution is a lot more than $1500, I would probably have to max out my percentage to hit that, or close to it.

I have $800k-$900k in my two accounts (have to combine them, I switched jobs recently) and I am just under 50.

My former employer set up all employees with a 401K plan, the name changed from "TDRP" (tax deferred retirement plan), my plan, to "TDSP" (savings plan) for employees hired after 1998.

All employees receive the $1500 max contribution every year, provided they were not on medical leave. It is up to each employee to contribute further each year, and no one is telling these young kids how important it is. Most don't have a clue.

I agree, but my point is that because 401K's are voluntary, that means there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of people that are not participating and - per your example - $1500 a year (max) isn't going to replace a 30 year pension.

Which is one of the weaknesses of the 401K (defined contribution plan) is that it is voluntary. Lower income people can afford 401Ks and are the ones that need it the most as part of retirement.

WW

It is after you've retired and have been contributing for at least 20 years. The only exception are government employees and police and firefighters, who all still get Cadillac pensions, paid for by American taxpayers.

You will have more income on a 401K that has had at least 20 years to mature than you would on a private employer pension, with only a tiny few exceptions (maybe John Deere or UPS, for example)
do they still get Cadillac pensions?....the PO switched to SS in i believe it was 1984....

My max contribution is a lot more than $1500, I would probably have to max out my percentage to hit that, or close to it.

I have $800k-$900k in my two accounts (have to combine them, I switched jobs recently) and I am just under 50.

I transferred to the Fleet Reserve (retired) in the late 90's. We had a simple process, that twice a year we reviewed our 401K contributions.

#1 When we did out taxes we'd look at upcoming amounts for the year and see if we could tweak it.

#2 Whenever either of us received a raise part of the raise was added to the contribution under the theory that if we didn't ever see it in the pay check, it would never be missed.

It works very well in the long term.

WW

I agree, but my point is that because 401K's are voluntary, that means there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of people that are not participating and - per your example - $1500 a year (max) isn't going to replace a 30 year pension.
The employees contribution, combined with the performance of the stock market, is what is designed to replace an employer pension.

I'd still be working if I relied on my employer pension, which was cut in half before I ever received it. My pension pays me $1,250 a month. Not enough to live on. My 401K means I don't ever have to count pennies, and instead find myself spending like never before, due to a 2-6% increase on an annual basis.

do they still get Cadillac pensions?....the PO switched to SS in i believe it was 1984....

There are 50 states + Territories + LGA (Local Government Entities - country, city, towns, etc.) + over 16,000 School Districts.

And there is a lot of variation, the idea that all "government employees" get Cadillac plans is not really valid anymore.

I will have worked for a school system for 25 years next year when I retire, my defined benefit pension will be about 36% of my current salary without medical. We are required to be on Medicare at 65 (if retired). So medical premiums (out of my check) go from $256 (myself + spouse) to individual Medicare Premiums of $178 x 2 = $356 and that does not include $400 for MediGap to cover the shortfall, then add to that Medicare Part D for prescriptions, Oh and if you want vision and dental that more. So roughly our medcial insurance could go from a little over $3,000 a year to over $10,000 a year.

And I'm grandfathered into the old system. The newer retirement program for the last decade is a "hybrid" system where the defined benefit payments are lower and 401K/457 participation expected.

WW

Last edited:
The employees contribution, combined with the performance of the stock market, is what is designed to replace an employer pension.

I'd still be working if I relied on my employer pension, which was cut in half before I ever received it. My pension pays me $1,250 a month. Not enough to live on. My 401K means I don't ever have to count pennies, and instead find myself spending like never before, due to a 2-6% increase on an annual basis.

Employer contribution only isn't going to replace the value of an equivalent pension. That's why employers went to 401K programs, because it shifts the cost burden from them to the employee and the "money managers" wanted a part of that retirement program pie.

WW

Of course they do, and Cadillac annual salaries, too. Just saw a small town nearby listed their highest annual salaries, 5 of the top 6, behind the chief, were police lieutenants making around $125,000 a year. No surprise this little town has sky high taxes.

Employer contribution only isn't going to replace the value of an equivalent pension. That's why employers went to 401K programs, because it shifts the cost burden from them to the employee and the "money managers" wanted a part of that retirement program pie.

WW

Money managers don't make money off pensions?

Who do you think runs them?

Of course they do, and Cadillac annual salaries, too. Just saw a small town nearby listed their highest annual salaries, 5 of the top 6, behind the chief, were police lieutenants making around $125,000 a year. No surprise this little town has sky high taxes.
lol...they sure dont make that in the PO......

Money managers don't make money off pensions?

Who do you think runs them?

Under many of the old pension programs Retirement Programs were in-house and held by the company. The fox was managing the hen house if you will. If the company went under pensions went under. Which is why the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation was created to function like the FDIC to insure pensions.

WW

Under many of the old pension programs Retirement Programs were in-house and held by the company. The fox was managing the hen house if you will. If the company went under pensions went under. Which is why the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation was created to function like the FDIC to insure pensions.

WW

And it pays pennies on the dollar usually.

With a 401k the money is all mine, despite what some people say.

lol...they sure dont make that in the PO......
You don't know what you're talking about. A newly hired cop can make over $100,000 a year with overtime. It's reported in the news, ya know. They can retire in 20 years, full pension, that goes up every year. Only now is my city addressing the burden it puts on taxpayers. I've seen it firsthand

And it pays pennies on the dollar usually.

With a 401k the money is all mine, despite what some people say.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing 401Ks.

If you are a higher wage earner, contribute religiously, and start young it is often possible to have 401K assets that can generate income exceeding typical defined benefit pensions.

The problem is that they are voluntary and as a result something lower income earners find out of reach.

WW

If you are a higher wage earner, contribute religiously, and start young it is often possible to have 401K assets that can generate income exceeding typical defined benefit pensions.
This is actually the likely outcome, the only outlier are the Cadillac pensions, police chiefs and lieutenants, firefighters, high level government employees, etc.

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️

And this is part of the problem.

People that want to call government pensions "Cadillac programs" always (or most always) go to the top people and say "hey, look out this chief of police makes". In addition they don't recognize differences in cost of living by region. All to throw out large numbers when those numbers don't apply to the vast majority of government employees.

The Instruction Assistant's is $23,099.59 per year. Secretaries about $43836.77. (Tidewater Virginia)

WW

Forum List

Back