The Death of the American Pension

"Accumulated knowledge". I like it! :)

It is a thing that cannot be replaced easily.

My brother is an architect that specialized in designing hospitals for some 20 plus years. He no longer does any design work he just looks at the designs from other people and tells there where they went wrong. This is the niche he has carved out for himself. His firm aske him to teach what he does to the younger architects and my brother was like "this cannot be taught".

He is making a killing and doing very little real work.

It is a thing that cannot be replaced easily.

My brother is an architect that specialized in designing hospitals for some 20 plus years. He no longer does any design work he just looks at the designs from other people and tells there where they went wrong. This is the niche he has carved out for himself. His firm aske him to teach what he does to the younger architects and my brother was like "this cannot be taught".

He is making a killing and doing very little real work.
I'm experiencing much the same in my company. What I know about work priorities and organization are of no value to the youngsters here. They don't grasp it and won't until they have much more experience. I don't fault them too much; I was like that when I was young as well.

Fewer are prepared for retirement as it is, so it's going the other way.

What went wrong?​

"If you can't afford to retire, it's almost certainly because you don't have enough money saved. If that's the case, you're definitely not alone. The average American is terrible about saving money in general and saving for retirement specifically; a recent GoBankingRates survey found that 55% of workers have less than $10,000 saved for retirement."

This is why it is so important to invest in the 401K, not only will your contributions continue to appreciate over your working life, but it takes the thinking part of investing your earnings out of your hands and puts it in the hands of people who do that for a living.

"Less than $10,000 saved for retirement" means no retiring. Sometimes medical issues or just being kicked to the curb means you are forced to retire.

Forum List

Back