🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The Double Standard...ALIVE AND WELL in Washington....

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
Obama-worshiping sycophant, Merideth Shiner reminds us today who in the current Congress voted against the MLKJ holiday...back in 2004...just as a reminder to the blacks regarding who they should continue to hate. She's supporting the Obama/Holder/Sharpton/Jackson agenda regarding widening the already significant divide between the black and white races by living in the past.

I don't quite understand....just a few years ago it was okay to say, "I voted for it before I voted against it!" or some such silly-ass liberal flip....and it was okay for Obama to go before an ethnic audience and support one issue just after saying the opposite to a previous audience.\

Double standard seems to be the name of the game in Washington, just as it is in the general public. When it comes to race baiting, the liberals take the cake!

Shiner denigrates a current (R) House member for voting against the holiday....in 2002...when he was in a STATE LEGISLATURE...over a decade ago.

...and don't y'all forget, that white haired cookin' lady on TV used that mean old "N" word....years ago!

...and don't y'all forget, we shall overcome!

Which current members of Congress voted against making MLK Day a federal holiday - Yahoo News

In 1983, Congress voted overwhelmingly to approve legislation to honor the memory of the late Martin Luther King Jr. by observing a federal holiday on the third Monday of every January. But not every elected official was onboard with the effort.

Now the decades-old issue of who opposed making MLK Day a holiday has returned to the political scene, as one House Republican leader has faced scrutiny for his opposition to the day in conjunction with a larger controversy over race.

New House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, a Republican from Louisiana, came under fire last month for having voted twice against a state version of the holiday while serving in the local legislature. (The votes were unearthed as part of a larger story about a previously unreported speech Scalise delivered at a 2002 conference sponsored by a white-supremacist group.) Because many states took decades after the federal decision to implement MLK Day, Scalise’s votes against the holiday came late: He was one of six Louisiana statehouse members to vote against the holiday in 2004 and one of three to vote against it in 1999.

The MLK "holiday" (it's not really a holiday, it only affects government workers and banks - most of whom lost the Good Friday holiday in the transition) was a bad idea from the get-go. It was nothing more than empty pandering by a group of people to whom it cost nothing (Congress and the President).

The better idea would have been to create a "Great Americans Holiday," and appoint a standing committee to name a different "great American" (not a former president) every year to be celebrated. Then if they wanted to honor MLK they could have done so that first year. As it is we have a national half-assed holiday to honor somebody who was a gifted speaker, but was "all too human," as the expression goes, and whose legacy has been twisted like an uncooked pretzel from the moment he died.

Just because some legislator voted against it doesn't make them racist. But of course, the people bringing this up don't really care about racism, they care about manipulating reality to achieve political ends.

I am opposed to federal holidays on weekdays. I want the banks open in case I should find a bag of cash sitting on the streets and need some place to store it.

Forum List

Back