The dreaded gay-wedding-cake saga ends: bakers must pay 135 K

Have any of you people EVER lived in a rural community? It's fine to say "take your business elsewhere"...but what if there is no elsewhere?

Yes I have, and Betty Crocker sells cake mix even in the most rural areas.

Yep. That's not under dispute.
Everyone should have the right to say, "No thanks".

Individuals do. Businesses don't.
Individuals don't give up their rights when conducting business.
That very much depends on the right. While you can preach on the sidewalk to your heart's content, the break-room at work is subject to a different set of rules, that you do not get to dictate in most cases. And should you decide to preach, and you wish to keep your job, I would not do so in front of where one works.

If work causes you issue with your faith, vote with your feet. That you are allowed to do...

And the polling shows a dip in the publics support in SSM because of this idiocy.

Link:

Poll shows slight dip in gay marriage support since Supreme Court ruling
Not to worry Pop. When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow, and we got ya, big time. Soon enough no one but the homophobes will care.

Have any of you people EVER lived in a rural community? It's fine to say "take your business elsewhere"...but what if there is no elsewhere?

While great at weddings where you met your spouse at the family reunion, most people prefer a cake from a professional, and beer served, if at all, not in cans.

And the polling shows a dip in the publics support in SSM because of this idiocy.

Link:

Not to worry Pop. When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow, and we got ya, big time. Soon enough no one but the homophobes will care.

And the financial advisors. Don't forget them. SSM is going to be a big business maker for them, not from gays, but from straight same sex couples who learn the financial gains marrying a buddy can bring!

While great at weddings where you met your spouse at the family reunion, most people prefer a cake from a professional, and beer served, if at all, not in cans.

The poor can't afford that. Are they being discriminated against?

Nothing means love more than a bakery baked cake!

Cracks me up.

[

Link:

Doesn't matter. Your side lost.

So now you are fighting the battle of the wedding cake.

Spoiler Alert- you are going to lose that, too.

Losing battles are nothing compared to losing Wars

The battles over, the War is still waging.

Ask Germany how they were feeling about things prior to Pearl Harbor.

Guy, you homophobes are going to look even sillier than the Nazis in 20 years.

Guy, you homophobes are going to look even sillier than the Nazis in 20 years.

Or, more likely, look like they were the ones with a greater grasp on reality.

Individuals don't give up their rights when conducting business.

Uh, yeah, they kind of do. They have to comply with all the laws governing commerce.
Some of those laws might violate their rights (and for that reason should be struck down), but their rights are still intact. This gets into all the whole "inalienable" thing, which no doubt evades you, but it's a staple of individual freedom.

No. That's your silly, made-up version of my argument. I don't think gays should take abuse from vendors. Neither should blacks. But that doesn't require a sledgehammer in the form of law that strips fundamental rights from business owners.

No fundemental rights are stripped. You have rights. Your business does not. Your business is required to follow all the laws that govern commerce. If you can't follow those laws, you shouldn't have a business.

This really isn't complicated.

You're right. It isn't complicated. Not nearly as complicated as your tortured argument. A business owner, and those that work for the business, shouldn't be required by law to give up their rights when they come to work. And that's what PA laws do. A free human being will always have the right to decide who they serve and under what circumstances. We should never give up the right to say "no".
No, businesses do not have the right to do what they want in all cases. There are limitations. Restaurants cannot serve expired food to customers. They can't sell alcohol to anyone under the drinking age. They can't discriminate based on race, religion, or gender. And in Oregon, sexual orientation.

It took about 20 years for the civil rights movement to become a done deal, with no more arguing about racial segregation. I guess we will just have to endure the whining about the damned wedding cake for another 19 1/2 years, too.

Oh, well....

Some of those laws might violate their rights (and for that reason should be struck down), but their rights are still intact. This gets into all the whole "inalienable" thing, which no doubt evades you, but it's a staple of individual freedom.

You have individual freedom.

Your business does not.

If you really have a conflict between running your business and obeying the dictates of an Imaginary Pixie in the Sky, you have the option of not having that kind of business.

It took about 20 years for the civil rights movement to become a done deal, with no more arguing about racial segregation. I guess we will just have to endure the whining about the damned wedding cake for another 19 1/2 years, too.

Oh, well....

I don't think it will take that long. The difference with gay rights is that you are more likely to have a gay relative staring at you across hte dining room table at thanksgiving giving you the stink-eye.

I could get behind the "get rid of PA laws" drive...if they'd start at the Federal level and not state laws. {ahem}

Makes me think it's not really about PA laws (for most) and just about discriminating against "the gheys".

Forum List

Back